Susan Pevensie--speculation

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Susan Pevensie--speculation

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

In the Last Battle, Peter mentions that Susan isn't with them any longer, or something along those lines. Does that mean she will never return to Narnia--i.e. is not saved? Or did Lewis mean something else? I have my opinions concerning this (which I'll post later), but I'm interested in what yours are.

What do you think?
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

It refers to her getting interested in "Nylons and such" (or something like that) so I think that in a way, she is like the 'back-slidden' sinner who never came back. She just got into the worldly ways. The books say something like "She always spent too much time trying to a certain age, and she'll spend the rest of her life trying to stay that age".

She just "grew-up" (or thought she did) and called the others 'children' because they believed in Narnia when she didn't. I'm pretty sure they refer to her saying "Oh, you have such good memories. Remember that funny game we used to play"

All these quotes are being remembered just right now....so they probably aren't exactly correct! :P

I think if Susan became a "Christian" in her later years, and then died. She probably would have been with the others in the 'other world'. Because that is metaphored (correct usage of word?) as "heaven".

*ok, I could go on and on....but I'll stop for now!* :D
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Well, I don't agree that Christians can "back-slide" and become non-Christians again or something like that, and if I remember correctly, Aslan said something about it which made me convinced that Susan WOULD return to Narnia- OH yeah.

Something like, "Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen in Narnia"... And Susan was a Queen, so I think she does return to Narnia.
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Hmm......I never thought of it that way.

I just put 'back-slidden' because I couldn't think of a better word.... :anxious:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Peter stabbed Susan...with a monkey bone!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

This is very close to the arguement about "Can you lose your Salvation" in the Town Hall faction.

Without entering the debate side, I believe Lewis wanted to make an impact on readers that the story never quite ends COMPLETELY happily ever after. Susan (for all intensive purposes) rebelled against Aslan and therefore would not have gone to Narnia at the time of the Last Battle

However that doesn't exclude the possibility that she might turn from her errant ways and follow Aslan (or Jesus, as Aslan hinted was his alternative name in our world), she would be able to go to Narnia

As for "Once a Queen in Narnia, Always a Queen in Narnia"....
refer to the debate in the Town Hall. There's no sense in cluttering this board up with that :)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Eon Spitfire EK V2.exe wrote:Peter stabbed Susan...with a monkey bone!
Yes, that's how I had analysed it as well... :-k

BC
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

Lucy Pevensie wrote:Well, I don't agree that Christians can "back-slide" and become non-Christians again or something like that, and if I remember correctly, Aslan said something about it which made me convinced that Susan WOULD return to Narnia- OH yeah.

Something like, "Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen in Narnia"... And Susan was a Queen, so I think she does return to Narnia.
that's true i hadn't hought of it that way before.
I had always taken it to mean that she had lost her belief in Narnia (or Christianity) and been consumed by things of the world. but then it's true that she could end up in Narnia (or Heaven) eventually because she didn't die on the train with the rest of them.
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

I've never read the book. :anxious: I thought all 4 were the good guys, does Susan stray? :anxious:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Susan isn't in the 7th book, "The Last Battle," and no longer believes in Narnia like she used to. My advice: stop reading this thread, and instead go read all 7 Chronicles of Narnia books! \:D/
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

:( Aww, can someone please tell me? :pray: Does she later believe?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Anyone know what CS Lewis stance was on losing salvation? That would answer the question...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wooton wrote::( Aww, can someone please tell me? :pray: Does she later believe?
Short answer: no. Long answer: Go read all the books, young man! :shame:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:
Wooton wrote::( Aww, can someone please tell me? :pray: Does she later believe?
Short answer: no. Long answer: Go read all the books, young man! :shame:
I second that. They are definately worth the read if you haven't read them already.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Brian wrote:Anyone know what CS Lewis stance was on losing salvation? That would answer the question...
I would tend to gather from the books that he does believe you can lose your salvation but I'm sure he says it elsewhere in one of his non-fiction books.

Any Lewis scholars out there??
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Lucy Pevensie wrote:Well, I don't agree that Christians can "back-slide" and become non-Christians again or something like that, and if I remember correctly, Aslan said something about it which made me convinced that Susan WOULD return to Narnia- OH yeah.

Yes, but if Susan rejects that, which she did, it would not be true. No one else besides her could stop that, but she herself did.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
tatertotaggie
Gold Member

Post by tatertotaggie »

I just saw the movie and it was GREAT! Though I thought they made Susan a bit grumpy and whiny.

Anyways, though I've read all 7 books, I don't like the fact that Susan "strayed" and doesn't believe in Narnia anymore, so, I just make my own ending in my head. I've always liked Susan as one of my favorites, and so, I just don't like Lewis' ending, so as I said, in my head at least, she always has believed in Narnia and always is a queen. So, if you don't like the ending, so that.

Oh, and the music for the movie, SPECTACULAR! I know this isn't about the movie, but I just had to say.
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone." - Audrey Hepburn

Just a Test

/Users/tatyanafrancis/Desktop/Travel Posters/Air-Afrique--C10035768.jpeg
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Ditto ^^

I might go see the movie today with a friend...but I doubt it's going to be open...some people watched it at midnight last night...or this morning...etc...
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

STRYPER wrote:
Brian wrote:Anyone know what CS Lewis stance was on losing salvation? That would answer the question...
I would tend to gather from the books that he does believe you can lose your salvation but I'm sure he says it elsewhere in one of his non-fiction books.

Any Lewis scholars out there??
He certainly gives the impression that he believes your salvation can be lost. The one I noticed most was in The Screwtape Letters. The demons are trying to get the new Christian to turn away, and the reader is given the impression that if the Christian gives in, he will be a lost person again. It's very sad.

And C.S. lewis has some weird theologies anyway. :anxious:
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Eh...yes. I'd like to think that Susan returned again, never having really lost her salvation(especially since I'm a Calvinist). I wasn't entirely sure whether Lewis thought salvation could be lost or not, but now that I think of it, Barely Is is probably correct.

Yes, Susan is one of my favorite characters too. >_<
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr