Tilly

Have you heard it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Chandler

Tilly

Post by Chandler »

"Tilly" is a small novel written by Frank Peretti to talk about the consequences of abortion and healing that can come when people deal with it. I read this book many years ago.
Later on I had the privilege of hearing a dramatization of the book produced by Focus for their broadcast.
In February I flipped on the FotF broadcast and heard the end of the first half of the drama and realized that I was hearing a conversation between Phil Lollar and the original George Barclay (heard in "Family Vacation").
Just a few days ago I managed to get my hands on a tape copy of it and noticed that the show was produced in 1987 the same year that AIO first aired. Have any of you heard the radio drama? Have you read the book? If so what did you think of them?
It's been so long since I read the book that I don't completely recall the original story. I do remember thinking that the FotF version was altered a bit. :-k One thing that I don't understand is the way the FotF version doesn't ever seem to explain why the lady had an abortion. What I remember from the book (please forgive me if I'm wrong... it's really been years :pray: ) is that she and her husband just didn't want to raise another child. I wonder if people only hearing the radio version will be confused on that point and assume that maybe the child was deformed.
Or maybe she was and I just forgot. ](*,)

Listening to it I could see some parallels with the AIO ep "Forever, Amen." There are differences as well but I think it's safe to say "Tilly" inspired the AIO ep. Notice that the baby's name was Billy? In "Tilly" the birth mother gets to meet her daughter in a dream. In "Forever, Amen" Danny got to meet his sister in a dream. In both cases the baby wasn't wanted at some point but for different reasons. The final scene when Tilly was leaving reminded me slightly of when Billy and Danny were parting. The Tilly scene was extended a lot longer but she assured her mom that she loved her. Both shows also feature a scene with the characters talking about what they'd *do* if they had the opportunity to be with the other person in "real life."

So... what do you have to say? :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've both read the book and heard the dramatized version on FotF radio braodcast. They're both very touching. I don't believe the drama altered the book at all...I remembered everything. I believe Tilly was aborted just because they didn't want another child. :cry:

Hmm...I never thought of the parallel between "Forever, Amen" and Tilly. It does sound similar, doesn't it?

It was a great book, and I 'd recommend it for anybody to read.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I've read it, not heard it.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I've both read the book and heard the dramatized version on FotF radio braodcast. They're both very touching. I don't believe the drama altered the book at all...I remembered everything. I believe Tilly was aborted just because they didn't want another child. :cry:
Maybe nothing was altered. I can't rightly remember :-k but I still think the drama didn't really indicate why Mrs. Ross had the abortion.
Laura Ingalls wrote:Hmm...I never thought of the parallel between "Forever, Amen" and Tilly. It does sound similar, doesn't it?

There seemed to be too many to ignore.
Laura Ingalls wrote:It was a great book, and I'd recommend it for anybody to read.
As would I. :)
Frodo
Classic

Post by Frodo »

I think I heard it but I can't remember...but I have read it.
Priscilla

<><
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I heard the drama tape on the radio when I was waaaaayyyyy younger. We only listen to Klove on the radio now a days.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i haven't read it or heard it. It is also a movie.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I heard most of the audio drama on the radio. It was quite good, if a little old.
Frodo
Classic

Post by Frodo »

mdb17 wrote:i haven't read it or heard it. It is also a movie.
Really?
Priscilla

<><
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Dave wrote:I heard most of the audio drama on the radio. It was quite good, if a little old.
Yes... I wonder if the same people who were working on AIO produced this? Like I said I recognized Phil Lollar's voice in there.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Well, it was dramatized by Steve Harris, who created Family Portraits and wrote many of the FPs. And many of the actors, including the main two people (I forget their names), were on AIO in the early days.

Dave
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

I've never heard of it or read it, but it sounds interesting so maybe I'll pick up a coy from the Library or something.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Dave wrote:Well, it was dramatized by Steve Harris, who created Family Portraits and wrote many of the FPs. And many of the actors, including the main two people (I forget their names), were on AIO in the early days.

Dave
You mean Mr. and Mrs. Ross? Like I said, Mr. Ross was later the original George Barclay. I didn't place Mrs. Ross. I was also curious if Tilly later did an AIO kid. :-k
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I don't think Tilly played an AIO kid (her voice certainly didn't sound familar). I'm not quite sure who Mrs. Ross played on AIO; was she in "My Brother's Keeper" or "Dental Dilemma"?

Dave
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I don't know. It'd be helpful if we had a list of the actors' names. :-k
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Heard half of it and read the book a long time ago.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Just in case anyone was wanting to hear "Tilly," you can listen here; scroll down to the beginning of the month. You can also buy the single CD and listen to a sample at the FOTF website.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Thanks for the link Dave! :)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Darn! If I'd brought my headphones I could be listening here at school. I'd probably be crying though. I read that book a while ago. It was very good. Moving.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

except that because that was written months ago, Tilly is no longer archived
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again