Harry Potter

Allowed to read it or not?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

Do you read/watch Harry Potter?

Yes.
37%
No, because I'm not allowed to.
11%
No, because I'm not interested in it.
53%

Total votes: 38

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Harry Potter

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I noticed a seemingly large amount of people on here read Harry Potter and (while I'm definitely not one of those people who will condemn you to Hell if you enjoy it!) I was kind of surprised by it. I suppose I just assumed that given the main demographic of the board (college students and homeschooled preteens and teens), a lot of the members here either wouldn't be interested in it or wouldn't be allowed to read it.

So anyways, please take this survey and appease my curiosity to see if the majority of the members here are Harry Potter fans or if the HP fans are just more outspoken than the non-fans. :-)

Thanks,
-Rachael
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I voted 'no because I'm not interested.'
I guess I've never asked my parents if I'd be allowed to read them. I truly don't have a desire to read them.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I have a few friends my age who really love the books, and while I have nothing against them or think they are evil or anything, they just totally are not the type of thing I'm interested in.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Karin wrote:I voted 'no because I'm not interested.'
I guess I've never asked my parents if I'd be allowed to read them. I truly don't have a desire to read them.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

My parents are ok with the books and they read them themselves. \:D/
Image [img]
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Karin wrote:I voted 'no because I'm not interested.'
Same here. I prefer to read books that teach positive lessons and have good meanings in between the lines. I get my fantasy fix with Lord of the Rings. Vastly superior in every way.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I definitely agree. I'll take Eowyn over Hermione any day!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I like Harry Potter. Both the books and the movies.
pingpeppy
OK

Post by pingpeppy »

As a christian, I don't feel those books are right, so I guess 'no because I'm not interested.'
-PP, the pinnacle of wicked awesome.

Check out the Christian Youth Zone!
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.-Henry Ward Beecher
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not at all interested, so I don't read the books and I haven't seen any of the movies. If I decided that I wanted to at some point, I wouldn't be stopped from doing so by my parents, especially since I'm 20, but they trust my judgement on stuff like that.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I like the movies, as they keep getting better. But I don't like it enough to read the books.
As for whether it's right or wrong, witchcraft is wrong. But since the series portrays other good morals, I think its ok for someone to enjoy it who's mature enough to know not to get caught up in witchcraft.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Elrohir wrote:I like the movies, as they keep getting better. But I don't like it enough to read the books.
As for whether it's right or wrong, witchcraft is wrong. But since the series portrays other good morals, I think its ok for someone to enjoy it who's mature enough to know not to get caught up in witchcraft.
*doesn't mean to start a debate, just to point out something*

*refering to your last sentence*

What about those who aren't mature enough? Like little children? What if the parent lets their kid see it and then that child dabbles in witchcraft because Harry did it and Harry is cool?

That said, I don't believe HP is good. (He's a witch, witches are evil. It's in the Bible.) I voted "I'm not interested" in HP, because well, I'm not. Growing up we were never allowed to read HP, but if I wanted to I'm sure I could.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I do enjoy the Harry Potter books...my parents made me wait until I was 16 (and I guess, mature enough) to read them. :D (I'm still not allowed to see the movies. :-k )
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oh yeah, I didn't fully answer the question... I am technically allowed, I think. ;) I can't imagine my parents trying to stop me! :x
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Elrohir wrote:I like the movies, as they keep getting better. But I don't like it enough to read the books.
*doesn't mean to start a debate, just to point out something*

*refering to your last sentence*

What about those who aren't mature enough? Like little children? What if the parent lets their kid see it and then that child dabbles in witchcraft because Harry did it and Harry is cool?
-Cowboy
I agree. Parents who know their kids really get into things like HP, should not allow their kids have anything to do with it.

I'ts like, say, if you have a hard time not cursing. You probably shouldn't go see a movie that has a lot of profanity as you are more likely to use such profanity without even realizing it, having heard it a lot from the movie. Whereas it might be ok to see for someone who doesn't have a problem cursing.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

But whether you have a problem with cursing or not, it's still a good idea to avoid movies like that whenever you can. :-)
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Technically, I'm allowed. I voted for "Not interested," though.

I wouldn't want my kids watching\reading the material simply because I don't believe -- until a child is mature enough to handle such things, or understand the full concept -- it should be allowed to be introduced to withcraft at such an early age.

That said, I, myself am not interested in reading the books as I prefer... well, biographies. ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

And I prefer action spy thrillers with clean, sincere romance. :-)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I prefer the back of cereal boxes. Sometimes there is a cool maze! \:D/
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Rachael wrote:I definitely agree. I'll take Eowyn over Hermione any day!
Ho-ha heck yes. Characters are better for sure. Probably because it's dorky kids compared to mature adults who sacrifice themselves.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz