Harry Potter

Allowed to read it or not?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

Do you read/watch Harry Potter?

Yes.
37%
No, because I'm not allowed to.
11%
No, because I'm not interested in it.
53%

Total votes: 38

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Rachael wrote:
I actually read the first four books, and the mindset of the kids (and the teachers that are on their side, helping them) is sort of that the ends justify the means. Something I DO NOT agree with at all. But HP isn't the only place you'll find that-- it was prevalent in the LWW movie. :-(
Where?
Oh, let's see... Edwin disobeyed his mother to save a picture of their father, nearly getting him and Peter killed...

Susan and Lucy disobeyed Aslan after He told them to go back to the camp (something he did NOT do in the books-- he told them they could watch but must remain out of sight). --That one really got to me, because they never would have disobeyed Aslan like that in the books.

Edwin disobeyed High King Peter in the last battle of the movie when he tells him to get the girls and go home. Edwin was good by then and wouldn't have disobeyed Peter at that point. :-( It was disappointing because it ruined the climax (for me, at least) by that tiny insertion of Hollywood values.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Rachael wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Rachael wrote:
I actually read the first four books, and the mindset of the kids (and the teachers that are on their side, helping them) is sort of that the ends justify the means. Something I DO NOT agree with at all. But HP isn't the only place you'll find that-- it was prevalent in the LWW movie. :-(
Where?
Oh, let's see... Edwin disobeyed his mother to save a picture of their father, nearly getting him and Peter killed...

Susan and Lucy disobeyed Aslan after He told them to go back to the camp (something he did NOT do in the books-- he told them they could watch but must remain out of sight). --That one really got to me, because they never would have disobeyed Aslan like that in the books.

Edwin disobeyed High King Peter in the last battle of the movie when he tells him to get the girls and go home. Edwin was good by then and wouldn't have disobeyed Peter at that point. :-( It was disappointing because it ruined the climax (for me, at least) by that tiny insertion of Hollywood values.
Their disobedience is NOT rewarded and not treated like something acceptable. Especially Edmund's! We see Aslan die as a result of Edmund's disobedience. [More than that of course . . .] Also, those "disobeying" are questionable.
Things like being told by your older brother to leave. I believe it honorable NOT to abandon your sibling in battle.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

But he was the High King at that point. Edmund was under him and therefore should have submitted to his authority.

And I'm talking about Edmund's original disobedience with the picture.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I don't think it's wrong for an author to write about a character's disobedience, it makes them seem more human because we all do it. My point is, the way that disobedience is treated in the books is different.

I don't think that in HP it is punished. In Chronicles of Narnia, it is. With Edmund and the picture, Edmund is yelled at SOUNDLY by Peter for what he did. Harry Potter and his friends just run around and do what they please.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I appreciated Shadowpaw's post. :) I think he was very right when he pointed out that when people oppose something, they will find stuff to back up their opinion. For me, it's enough to hear someone say, "Harry Potter features wizards/witches as the protagonists and I can't reconcile that with a biblical worldview." That's a reasonable opinion and a valid reason for someone to choose not to read the books.
A lot of times what I actually hear is arguments about little situations here and there and whether or not they were properly handled. I think we all need to step back and judge everything we read by the same standard. If we're going to notice little problems with Harry then why not Christian fiction?
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Chandler wrote:I appreciated Shadowpaw's post. :) I think he was very right when he pointed out that when people oppose something, they will find stuff to back up their opinion. For me, it's enough to hear someone say, "Harry Potter features wizards/witches as the protagonists and I can't reconcile that with a biblical worldview." That's a reasonable opinion and a valid reason for someone to choose not to read the books.
A lot of times what I actually hear is arguments about little situations here and there and whether or not they were properly handled. I think we all need to step back and judge everything we read by the same standard. If we're going to notice little problems with Harry then why not Christian fiction?
Because they are different. I see a difference when a character in one book does something wrong and does not have negative consequences and when a character does something wrong and they do have negative consequences and are punished. One of those books obviously teaches a better lesson and therefore I think one is worth reading over the other.

I get sort of annoyed when people point out they won't read HP because of the witchcraft but will read books that glorify senseless violence or sexual content, etc . . . witchcraft is a sin, hands down. But no more than any other.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:Because they are different. I see a difference when a character in one book does something wrong and does not have negative consequences and when a character does something wrong and they do have negative consequences and are punished. One of those books obviously teaches a better lesson and therefore I think one is worth reading over the other.
I wasn't saying yea or nay regarding the content of Harry just saying what you said below (using different words) and suggesting that we don't get too hung up on little details of one while ignoring others. :)
Jennifer Doyle wrote:I get sort of annoyed when people point out they won't read HP because of the witchcraft but will read books that glorify senseless violence or sexual content, etc . . . witchcraft is a sin, hands down. But no more than any other.