Harry Potter

Allowed to read it or not?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

Do you read/watch Harry Potter?

Yes.
37%
No, because I'm not allowed to.
11%
No, because I'm not interested in it.
53%

Total votes: 38

mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Rachael wrote:I definitely agree. I'll take Eowyn over Hermione any day!
Ho-ha heck yes. Characters are better for sure. Probably because it's dorky kids compared to mature adults who sacrifice themselves.
but the dorky kids sacrifice themselves all the time for one another. that being said your statement did not make sence. :-#
Image [img]
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Karin wrote:I voted 'no because I'm not interested.'
I guess I've never asked my parents if I'd be allowed to read them. I truly don't have a desire to read them.
Same here. I prefer to read books that teach positive lessons and have good meanings in between the lines. I get my fantasy fix with Lord of the Rings. Vastly superior in every way.
Ditto!
I ha----Wait, this isn't a debate. :-# I think everyone already knows my opinion. :anxious:
My opinion is that I HATE it!
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I Read 'em and watch 'em. Good stuff. I am anticipating the next releases.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Frank wrote:I do enjoy the Harry Potter books...my parents made me wait until I was 16 (and I guess, mature enough) to read them. :D (I'm still not allowed to see the movies. :-k )
What's the difference? ;)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

I voted not interested, I never have liked fantasy books. just my two cents
~S~
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

mr. mellow wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Ho-ha heck yes. Characters are better for sure. Probably because it's dorky kids compared to mature adults who sacrifice themselves.
but the dorky kids sacrifice themselves all the time for one another. that being said your statement did not make sence. :-#
From what I've heard/seen the kids are snotty, selfish, rebellious, bullies, whiney, etc. . .
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I, personally, don't read Harry Potter for three reasons (the first being the most important):

1. I disagree with reading something for entertainment that's grounded in evil (please don't debate with me; I respect that some people don't find it evil and I don't wish to argue this yet again).
2. I don't like fantasy.
3. I wouldn't be allowed to if I wanted to.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

If it hasent been made obvious by now then I shall make it such, I am a Harry Potter fan since Movie one. and will remain a fan.

Lord Sesshoumaru
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

Rachael wrote:And I prefer action spy thrillers with clean, sincere romance. :-)
Ooh...me too! I've never been interested in Harry Potter, but I am allowed to read/watch them.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
mr. mellow wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
From what I've heard/seen the kids are snotty, selfish, rebellious, bullies, whiney, etc. . .
I actually read the first four books, and the mindset of the kids (and the teachers that are on their side, helping them) is sort of that the ends justify the means. Something I DO NOT agree with at all. But HP isn't the only place you'll find that-- it was prevalent in the LWW movie. :-(
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I actually like the books and I like to movies even more because a lot of my favorite actors/ actresses are in it (and I'm not talking about the kids). While I like Chronicles of Narnia and LoTR...after watching the LoTR movies I realised Tolkien wrote the story in such a way that kind of made me a tad dissappointed in the writing. Oh well.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:
Frank wrote:I do enjoy the Harry Potter books...my parents made me wait until I was 16 (and I guess, mature enough) to read them. :D (I'm still not allowed to see the movies. :-k )
What's the difference? ;)

-Cowboy
Perhaps the PG/PG-13 ratedness? :-k
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Truth be told about the only main problem I have with the movies (save for cutting scenes the6y should of not cutted) is that their are a wee bit more curse words in it, then the book, though I myself have only found this out to be true with the first one. I might just have to check out the other 3.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Elrohir wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Elrohir wrote:I like the movies, as they keep getting better. But I don't like it enough to read the books.
As for whether it's right or wrong, witchcraft is wrong. But since the series portrays other good morals, I think its ok for someone to enjoy it who's mature enough to know not to get caught up in witchcraft.
*doesn't mean to start a debate, just to point out something*

*refering to your last sentence*

What about those who aren't mature enough? Like little children? What if the parent lets their kid see it and then that child dabbles in witchcraft because Harry did it and Harry is cool?

-Cowboy
I agree. Parents who know their kids really get into things like HP, should not allow their kids have anything to do with it.

I'ts like, say, if you have a hard time not cursing. You probably shouldn't go see a movie that has a lot of profanity as you are more likely to use such profanity without even realizing it, having heard it a lot from the movie. Whereas it might be ok to see for someone who doesn't have a problem cursing.
I totally agree with you two there. I think parents need to watch what's going into their kids minds.

I voted "not interested" because it's just not the kinda stuff I want to stick in my head. It sounds really, I don't know, I just have Never taken an interest in HP. Probably nerver will.

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

jasodia wrote:
Rachael wrote:And I prefer action spy thrillers with clean, sincere romance. :-)
Ooh...me too! I've never been interested in Harry Potter, but I am allowed to read/watch them.
you ARE allowed? then how come when your mom read part of it when your sister was reading it she said she couldn't read it?

I personally think that HP is bad. :shame: I mean, I know a TON of people (good Christian people too) that let their kids read it and all. I know that it's not that I don't like it because of the magic and/or witchcraft because they have stuff like that in Narnia and othe fantasy type stories. It's the fact that the good guys do the witchcraft, thus telling kids that witchcraft is OK. not good. in other fantasy stories it's the bad guys who perform witchcraft, thus telling kids not to do it. still, they shouldn't read those books until they can handle the subject of witchcraft but I don't think they should EVER read books where the "good" people do "bad" things and say that it's good (or, never say that it's bad) :noway: I'm sort of a mix...I'm not interested but I'm not allowed either. one thing to say (not saying that PG-13 movies are bad, I've seen a few) but I saw an ad in the newspaper for the newest HP and it said "PG-13"...there was a girl at our church and we were talking about movies and stuff and she was like "after I show the Harry Potter movies to my brother and sister" and I thought, they're in 1st grade and their parents will let them see them? I mean, how many little REALLY LITTLE, kids like that are going to see them? You'd think the rating would give parents a hint...that's just my opinion :anxious:

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

pinkjeans92 wrote: one thing to say (not saying that PG-13 movies are bad, I've seen a few) but I saw an ad in the newspaper for the newest HP and it said "PG-13"...there was a girl at our church and we were talking about movies and stuff and she was like "after I show the Harry Potter movies to my brother and sister" and I thought, they're in 1st grade and their parents will let them see them? I mean, how many little REALLY LITTLE, kids like that are going to see them? You'd think the rating would give parents a hint...that's just my opinion :anxious:
Yeah, that makes me so mad when I hear about stuff like that! :x
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Rachael wrote:
I actually read the first four books, and the mindset of the kids (and the teachers that are on their side, helping them) is sort of that the ends justify the means. Something I DO NOT agree with at all. But HP isn't the only place you'll find that-- it was prevalent in the LWW movie. :-(
Where?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

I'm actually against Harry Potter, so I put "not interested," but I also know my parents wouldn't allow it in our house even if I was interested. I do like thriller-type stories, though--such as the ones by Frank Peretti! (I especially like This Present Darkness, and I think they should make a movie of it! \:D/ )
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Frank Peretti actually scares the living daylights out of me. I think for me it's more that I know it's fantesy and I know it's not real. Whereas with Frank Peretti I know it's real and I know that the stuff he talks about in his books really could happen. Then again that's just me.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I'll chime in with my two cents. I was fortunate (perhaps that term is debatable ;)) enough to read the first four books completely unaware of the surrounding controversy.

Shortly after book 4 was released (I had heard nothing about the series at this point), I saw my mom had purchased all four and they were sitting on the table in my family room. I looked at the back cover, thought they were pretty lame, and just ignored them (not even sure what they were). Then, a close friend mentioned to me how much he was enjoying the series and since he and I had very similar interests, I gave them a try. I read book 1 in one sitting, fell asleep, read book 2, fell asleep, read book 3 in a couple days and book 4 the following few days. I absolutely loved the books, mainly for the interesting plot and the over arcing story present in each and every book (with small details about the overall story being released with each addition to the series).

A few months later, I was talking with Nathan Hoobler who informed me about the controversy and I was a little surprised, as it never even entered my head. I was actually more offended by The Chronicles of Narnia, when I re-read them in grade 7, and was completely appalled that a book was promoting worship of someone (or thing) other than God (even if it was in a different land, it still ticked me off). Of course, as you keep reading, the Christian allegory became clearer and I didn't mind it so much... but I went into reading them, ignorant of the Christianity contained inside, similar to how I went into reading Harry Potter. Though in CS Lewis case, the Christianity was on purpose. In JK Rowling's case, the controversy was not by design.

Growing up, witchcraft and wizardy was simply make-believe pretend things. Like stories about giants or fairies or goblins or dwarves. To this day, when I think of witches, I think of tall pointed hats and long noses, and the whole silly idea about it all. Stereotypical halloween style. I wasn't offended by the magic being used by the good guys, anymore than I am by Gandalf (a wizard mind you) using his magic, the elves in the Lord of the Rings using their special abilities, or Frodo using his sword with mystical properties. They are both fantasy stories, nothing more nothing less, and for me to even think of Harry Potter in the same league as wicca or devil worship would be completely defeating the spirit of the books. I have no more desire to be a witch or wizard than I would if I read a book about elves and wanted to become one of them. I like the stories about them, but that doesn't mean I want to be one (or that it would be even possible to be such).

With all that said, do I endorse the books? Absolutely not. Not because I don't think people would enjoy them, but because people who read a book with pre-conceived notions will always find small details here or there to back up their already strong opinions. I also respect people's opinions and beliefs enough to understand that if they don't feel it is appropriate for them, then it is their right to not read them. I'm just glad that I was given an opportunity to read these books before being slammed with the negative aspects people have dug up about them. I'll continue to enjoy them and think while she isn't the most gifted writer, JK Rowling has crafted an extremely interesting and complex plot that, for me, is exciting to watch onfold.

But by no means do I expect or encourage the members of this board to go out and read these books if your family has already decided against them or you personally just don't feel they are appropriate for you at this point in your life.