Plays!

Shakespeare or not...

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Plays!

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Have you seen any plays? Having just seen Macbeth this afternoon, I must say I enjoy them. Especially when the acting is solid like it was today. My first outing to a Shakespearean play and it went well. I must admit, however, I only understood half of what they were saying. It was almost like listening to a dozen 15th century Eugene's. :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Have you seen any plays? Having just seen Macbeth this afternoon, I must say I enjoy them. Especially when the acting is solid like it was today.
I've been to some plays. Not much worth noting though and no Shakespeare plays. I enjoy watching them as well. :)
Trent DeWhite wrote:I must admit, however, I only understood half of what they were saying. It was almost like listening to a dozen 15th century Eugene's. :anxious:
:hilarious:
That's a good way to describe it!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

The only plays I enjoy are those of Gilbert and Sullivan. Very humorous, and such witty dialogue!!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The only plays I've been heavily involved with are musicals. I worked backstage for Crazy for You (some terrific acting there) and two years later my school did Les Mis (also some terrific acting).

-Jonathan
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:I must admit, however, I only understood half of what they were saying. It was almost like listening to a dozen 15th century Eugene's. :anxious:
:hilarious:
That's a good way to describe it!
Thanks. :) I said the same to a friend with whom I was watching the play, and he added, "...and they speak fast, too." :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Jonathan wrote:The only plays I've been heavily involved with are musicals. I worked backstage for Crazy for You (some terrific acting there) and two years later my school did Les Mis (also some terrific acting).

-Jonathan
My school did Les Miserables in my first year of high school. I wasn't even attending the school yet (I was going to a different high school but was thinking of transferring). I auditioned, got cast as Thenardier, and transferred out of the other school. Best decision I could have made :).
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Shadowpaw wrote:My school did Les Miserables in my first year of high school. I wasn't even attending the school yet (I was going to a different high school but was thinking of transferring). I auditioned, got cast as Thenardier, and transferred out of the other school. Best decision I could have made :).
Did they make everyone speak with a French accent? :-k
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've always thought it funny listening to the English accents on the RT version of Les Mis. It still helps give the foreign flavor. :-k They do a good job pronouncing those French names. *gulps* :anxious:
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

i was thinking about this thread because today we went to see the play kiss me kate
which is based on taming of the shrew
and it was really good, and they put on a special matane play just for our school, but we ran out of time and had to leave before it was over
it was innapropriate at time too
but the acting was great
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Did they make everyone speak with a French accent? :-k
Hahaha no, it would have been terrible as not many of us (the least of all me), can perform a convincing French accent without the audience groaning ;).
dancer02248 wrote:i was thinking about this thread because today we went to see the play kiss me kate
and it was really good, and they put on a special matane play just for our school, but we ran out of time and had to leave before it was over
but the acting was great
I also did The Taming of the Shrew in high school. I played Petruchio ;),
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

dancer02248 wrote:i was thinking about this thread because today we went to see the play kiss me kate
but the acting was great
I also did The Taming of the Shrew in high school. I played Petruchio ;),[/quote]

when we read it in class i was hortensio, but i would be not paying attention and forget to read my lines :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:Did they make everyone speak with a French accent? :-k
Hahaha no, it would have been terrible as not many of us (the least of all me), can perform a convincing French accent without the audience groaning ;).
:lol:

I'd love to actually go to England and check out one of Shakespeare's plays. :o I hear tickets there are expensive.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

We have the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and I go there once a year or so and see a play. This summer I am taking two classes that both are going to go to the Theatre and see 5 plays each....I get 4 credits in 5 days!!!!! That would normally take me 10 weeks! It's a little more expensive because you have to pay for tickets and a hotel and stuff, but I think it will be worth it and then I will have my humanitarian classes officially all done!!!!! \:D/

Last play I saw was Richard III. Other than Shakespeare, I went and watched a play at Western Oregon University because a friend had a friend in the play....it was Blue Moon over Buffalo? Something like that.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

jessicado wrote:Last play I saw was Richard III. Other than Shakespeare, I went and watched a play at Western Oregon University because a friend had a friend in the play....it was Blue Moon over Buffalo? Something like that.
Years ago I did a monologue from Richard III (he was waking up from a nightmare if I remember correctly). There was a lot of pressure on me because my drama teacher had been using that monologue for years and whenever he auditioned for plays, that's the one he used. So I had to go on stage and perform something he knew intimately :anxious: . I don't remember the monologue at all though. :(

Speaking of which (as Macbeth was the first play brought up in this thread) I also did that in grade 11! Though it wasn't on stage or anything, my English class was required to read it. To inject some excitement into the reading, our class held auditions for parts which we performed over the two weeks we had to read it. I was cast as Macbeth, though I don't remember a thing about that play either. ](*,)
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Yeah..unless I make it a point to repeat my lines every so often, I forget them too.....
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Plays....like good ones? :-k Does Beauty and the Beast count? Oh well, I'll count it, cuz it was awesome. I've also seen peter Pan ,and Oklahoma. Oh, and Music Man.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Forgot to mention that I saw Les Miserawhatchamacallit on Broadway when I was in seventh grade.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I have seen several plays.

Little Shop of Horrors
Fiddler on the Roof
A Chrostmas Story
Scrooge
1940's Radio Hour

My classmates and I have acted out scenes from Macbeth (I was Lady Macbeth in the sleepwalking scene)
Been in a couple of plays written by my pastor based of of Charlie Brown Christmas
I have been to more, bit I can't think of them right now.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

I just wached phantom of the opra (DVD not play) but now I really want to see the play live!
Image [img]
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

mellow wrote:I just wached phantom of the opra (DVD not play) but now I really want to see the play live!
Indeed, that would be very cool. I haven't even seen the movie. :-k