CCM - Right or Wrong?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I love hyms, they are among my favorite type of song.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I think we should evaluate the merits of music regardless of whether it's labeled as "old" or "contemporary." Saying that hymns used to be modern and contemporary doesn't answer the question. The question is *not* "Should we use contemporary music" but rather "Is today's contemporary music scriptural?"
Have you ever listened to Steven Curtis Chapman or Micheal Card? I know for a fact that SCC puts the scripture verse(s) under the title of each song. Micheal Card is a theologin and he has done album's based on books of the Bible. He put out two CD's on the life of Christ. Ray Boltz is another artist who has put out wonderful ballads on the life of Christ. In fact there was one song that my dad didn't want to play on the radio because after he heard it he knew that this song was going to have a great impact on listeners and it was a 7 minute song.

However I'm of the opinion that God can use anything to reach people and it doesn't matter what kind of music it it is. In CCM the actual music should be secondary to the lyrics. Music has the ability to touch people in ways nothing else can. Some people use CCM to tell their story...to share their journey with us. In spite of ourselves God is able to use it.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

drwhit73 wrote:Why would one shudder at the thought of listening to hymns. They are referred to in the Bible as a way to sing and make melody?
Nvm, it didn't sound so harsh in my mind. I mean, I enjoy a couple hymns myself, and I sing them in church.
Last edited by Larry The Pickle on Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

dawningoftime wrote:
I think we should evaluate the merits of music regardless of whether it's labeled as "old" or "contemporary." Saying that hymns used to be modern and contemporary doesn't answer the question. The question is *not* "Should we use contemporary music" but rather "Is today's contemporary music scriptural?"
Have you ever listened to Steven Curtis Chapman or Micheal Card? I know for a fact that SCC puts the scripture verse(s) under the title of each song. Micheal Card is a theologin and he has done album's based on books of the Bible.
I was not talking the lyrics being scriptural, but the music itself. While what SCC and Michael Card are doing is admirable, the question still remains: Is their music acceptable?

Cheerio
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

I think that music is in the eye of the beholder. i think that as long as the songs move the listener closer to God, then it is good for that particual person.
One thing that makes me weary is how some people judge the music by the image of the musician. Someone might not like a certian band because either thier physical apperance, or because of what they have heard about thier reputations. While I dont think its wise to listen to bands that are known to have bad lyrics, I don't think its fair to completely write a band off because you don't like "rap" (just an example)Not all Rap is bad.
We need to remember that these artist are people too. They are humans. They make mistakes, they fall down, they have to get up, and in front of a lot of people. They are constiantly criticized. And I know myself especially, I used to ADORE my favorite artists. Then when I heard of something bad they did, I was completely let down that my "Idol" had made a mistake. Now everytime I put in a CD, I remind myself that these people have lives and feelings, and they are not immortal just because they can sing or play guitar. I force myself to say I respect these artist, not that I adore them. After all, we should have no Idols.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Generes can be wrong.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Of course it's right! We should support them because they are GOOD! Not just because they are Christians. And no, I don't think there is anything wrong with an up tempo or fast beats.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I've heard people go on and on about how the beat is wrong and blah blah blah..
I don't even notice the beat in most of the songs I listen to...
...I hate marquees.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I love CCM. I think it's great. I still do not really understand the problem that others have with it, but maybe that's because I wasn't around when the issue originally came up. I guess my opinion is mainly that God knows my heart. He knows that when I listen to music, it is because I am praising him. I don't listen to mainstream at all if I can help it. The other part of this for me is that I do listen to the words a lot. But like Me, I will listen to just about aything so long as it is Christian or clean. Is it even our place to say whether these artists are worshipping God, or just doing it for profit? (Yes I am sure there are people like that out there, but should we let that affect the way we veiw their song that is giving glory to God?) Look at what happened with king David and his wife.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I am really interested in hearing other people's opinions. I'm pretty good aout seeing both sides of an issue, but I'm having a tough time with this one. Thanks guys. God bless
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I have no problem with CCM. Except when they water down their doctrines horribly. Then I get mad. Or when I start focusing more on the music artist more than on God...then I need to call it quits for awhile and get back on focus.

(And I think that heated debates do belong in the TH.)
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

dont worry this wont turn into a heated debate I'll make sure of that. its just a place to express your oppion on the matter and look at both sides.
Image [img]
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

LovedbyGod wrote:And no, I don't think there is anything wrong with an up tempo or fast beats.
I have no problem with up tempo or fast beats either. My point was not the speed of the song/rythm but rather the *strength* of the beat. It concerns me when the CCM/Christian Rock/Christian Pop genre's music (or secular rock for that matter) seem to focus on rythm and adding in huge, pounding, throbbing sounds.
J-Man wrote:I don't even notice the beat in most of the songs I listen to...
Unfortunately, J-Man, most other people do notice the beat. Hey, this isn't just Dr. Watson saying this--it's people who like rock music.

Some quotes:
"... rock has acted as a catalyst, a force uniting and amplifying ideas and feelings. It is a medium, a means of communicating emotions... the medium is the message. Associated with rock, for instance, is a cult of irrationality, a reverence for the instinctual, the visceral -- and a distrust of reason and logic; this form of anti-intellectualism can be highly dangerous, can lead to totalitarian modes of thought and action. Linked with this anti-intellectualism is an interest in the occult: magic, superstition, exotic religious thought, anything contrary to the main currents of Western thought. Also directly connected is an obsession with the unconscious mind; the force of drug culture has been its promise to reveal the hidden, instinctual man, to free the individual from restrictions and limitations of his conscious mind and his gross physical body." [William J. Schafer, "Rock Music" -- Schafer is not opposed to rock music]
"Perhaps the most important defining quality of rock and roll is the beat,... Rock and roll is different from other music primarily because of the beat." [Charles T. Brown, "The Art of Rock and Roll"]
"Although the music has changed over the years, the rebellious urges that created it remain the same... I was reminded once more of the basic appeal of rock and roll -- its irreverant, nose-thumbing quality. Everything about early rock and roll, from the sexy beat and sexy lyrics to Little Richard's scream and Elvis's hips and Jerry Lee Lewis's anarchic piano, was a reproach to the stuffed shirts of the world... It was considered a racial as well as a sexual threat to the established order... Rock and roll was still fun, but it was something more -- the lingua franca of a great cultural upheaval." [Ellen Willis, "Heroes of Rock 'n' Roll"]
"Musical rhythms affect both our hearts and our brains. One road to arousing a range of agitated feelings -- tense, excited, sometimes sexual -- is through pronounced insistent rhythms,... artfully used to heighten the sexual tension... drumming may produce these powerful effects by actually driving the brain's electrical rhythms." [Anne H. Rosenfeld, "Music, the Beautiful Disturber"]

Most of these quotes are dealing with secular rock music, I realize. However, what things change when Christians start performing rock music? Musically speaking, nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's the same music form, the same aural experience, just with Christian lyrics (although as Frank pointed out, even these can and usually are watered down) tacked on.

It scares me when so many masses of people follow rock music without closely examining its true nature. Many people on this thread have expressed the opinion that God likes all music, and that all music glorifies God. I heartily disagree! What about literature, art, and drama? Are all forms of these glorifying to God? I hope all of us would agree that certain books, plays, and paintings are awful and displeasing to God. Repetitive foul language and sex scenes in books, as well as nudity in art should be obviously rejected by Christians. So why should Christians suddenly drop a discerning attitude when entering into the realm of music? Why should Christians forget to carefully "examine every spirit" (or music form as in this case) and say that ALL music is glorifying to God? Music is no different than art or literature, etc. and should be viewed careful, scriptural attitudes.
Mellow wrote:dont worry this wont turn into a heated debate I'll make sure of that.
Ah, thank you my good man.

Cheerio, and good day to all.

Doctor Watson
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I've heard many arguments from both sides, and I have come to my own conclusion that I personally have no problem with CCM. I can understand where people are coming from when they say that they do have a problem with it, and while I respect their opinion, I do not agree with it. My personal conviction is that I only will listen to music if the lyrics are clearly understandable. I think that that is very important, because if you can't understand what the artist is saying, I don't personally see how you really get anything out of the song.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Dr. Watson wrote:
J-man wrote:I don't even notice the beat in most of the songs I listen to...
Unfortunately, J-man, most other people do notice the beat. Hey, this isn't just Dr. Watson saying this--it's people who like rock music.
Maybe I don't listen to rock then.. :-s :shrugs:
...I hate marquees.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I think that pretty much all music can be glorifying to God! Music is not the words that come with it. It's beats and melody. God created those didn't he? So why wouldn't they please him?

It's when a song has a negative connatation, (like an Eminem song with no lyrics playing but everyone knows what they are) or songs with just plain disgusting lyrics that ruin the music. I don't think that music alone can be bad though.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Without bothering to, you know, read anything...

Just what is so wrong with listening to a beat, anyway? :-s

I mean you guys take that verse "And lo, God said unto them, "Thou shalt not listen to a beat, neither shalt thine enjoy music thereof." way out of context.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Um, is that a verse? :-s
...I hate marquees.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

J-man wrote:Um, is that a verse? :-s
No, Top is just being blasphemous. ;)