Do you like...

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

AIOfan11 wrote:
Screech wrote:....Laptops. I've been using one, and....I don't like the keyboard very much.. Are you using a laptop or Desktop? Which do you like better?
I don't like laptop's keyboards either. I'm using a desktop. There fun!
Desktops are fun, indeed. But there's nothing wrong with laptop keyboards! [-(
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

Right now, the only computer I can use is a laptop, and i absolutely hate it. I hate the finger mouse pad thingy, i hate the keyboard, i hate the speakers. I really dont like that it only has a CD drive and not a floppy disk drive. (I know some laptops have floppy drives, but mine doesnt) But this is the only comuter I can use because it has a Magnifying program on it (Otherwise I get headaches from reading small print for too long) and it has a voice output, but i dont use it very often.
Oh well, when i leave for college next year, i hope i get a desktop to take with me. Im not complaining. Im glad I have something that works.
:-#
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

frogalwyz wrote:Right now, the only computer I can use is a laptop, and i absolutely hate it. I hate the finger mouse pad thingy, i hate the keyboard, i hate the speakers.
You can always plug in speakers into the headphones slot . . . and get a mouse for your laptop. Can't do much about the keyboard without it taking too much space . . .
frogalwyz wrote:I really dont like that it only has a CD drive and not a floppy disk drive. (I know some laptops have floppy drives, but mine doesnt)
Ah, well. Seeing as some places (particularly libraries--at least our local libraries) are living in the dark ages, a floppy drive would be nice to have. Transfering data from computer to computer is fairly easy that way. However, now we're seeing USB ports at the front of the desktop computers, and wireless networks are making it even easier for file transfer. I wouldn't be surprised if we see floppy drives being uncommon in 8-10 years.

But, in the end, like you said, at least you have a working machine that functions. Some people still use Windows 95. ](*,)
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

frogalwyz wrote: I really dont like that it only has a CD drive and not a floppy disk drive. (I know some laptops have floppy drives, but mine doesnt)
I'd suggest investing in a Jump-Drive. You can buy them at staples, best buy, office max, or wherever computer stuff is sold. It's a lot like a floppy disc, but it plugs into the USB port instead. I'm pretty sure that ALL computers have a USB port somewhere. Most are on the front of the computer, on the newer versions of course. But on laptops, they're usually on the side. :)

They aren't overly expensive (anywhere from 20-60 dollars), but you can use them over and over, and have much more space on them than floppy discs. They also come in varying disc space, and as I'm sure you guessed, the smaller ones are less expensive. They also come in very handy when you are reformatting your hard-drive... just load all of the stuff that you need onto your jump drive, and reformat. (I'd suggest putting the stuff on another computer, just to be safe. I made the mistake of not doing that, and ended up losing everything, becuase I accidentaly copied a shortcut #-o) It's much easier than using about 20 floppy discs, and getting confused.

Here's the one that we have:

They also come in varying styles and colors, haha.

Heh, you probably already knew all that, and I just wasted like 5 minutes. :P

Alrighty then...

Sarah
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sarah wrote:I'd suggest investing in a Jump-Drive. You can buy them at staples, best buy, office max, or wherever computer stuff is sold. It's a lot like a floppy disc, but it plugs into the USB port instead. I'm pretty sure that ALL computers have a USB port somewhere. Most are on the front of the computer, on the newer versions of course. But on laptops, they're usually on the side. :)
Ooh, that's what I forgot to say. ](*,)

I was going to say . . . in addition to wireless networks, you can utilize those USB ports by buying Jump-Drives, which can hold anywhere from 64 MBs to 1GB. Depending on the types of files you work worth, I would suggest something inbetween . . . probably the 128MB or 256MB. If you're dealing with mainly document and a few pictures, go with the 128MB. But if you're looking to transfer folders of music and pictures on top of those documents, definitely look to get 512MB or 1GB. :yes:
One I Froggy

Post by One I Froggy »

Thank you both for the suggestions. I would probably look into it if 1.) I wasnt so lazy and 2) this computer was actually mine. The laptop I have belongs to my school district, so I have to turn give it back to them in June when I graduate.
I tend to complain about things without the intent to do anything about it. =P~
But thanks for the info. I might look into it. I think I have an extra mouse somewhere that I might try connecting, but do you know if I would have to download anything in order to do that? or can I just plug it in? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Depends on the type of mouse and the plug-ins at the back of your laptop. Does the mouse have a PS/2 or a USB plug?

ImageImage

You're going to want to check the back of your laptop to see what ports it has . . .
One I Froggy

Post by One I Froggy »

My mouse has an circular port thingy...ps2? but I have an adaptor for it, so it doesnt matter. My laptop has a circular port thingy too, so it should work, I think. Now all I have to do is find my mouse. It ran away from me. Maybe if I put some cheese out...
Godsballerina
Gold Member

Post by Godsballerina »

I like laptops more than a desktop, but I use a desktop!!

:thewave: :-
Oh the Cleverness of me!!~Peter Pan

I love Ballet!!!
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

I like my laptop, but I love my desktops.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Heh, I saw the title and thought.. "Uhh...When did I start this thread?" :wink: