Anime/Manga discussion

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
gunblader3
Found

Anime/Manga discussion

Post by gunblader3 »

Since my last response wasn't going so well, this is just a place to talk about anime/manga.
Last edited by gunblader3 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I've seen a lot of anime garbage out there... I can't remember the last time I saw an anime magazine with a modest girl on the cover. :-k
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

There are a lot of horrible anime and manga out there.

But there are also some good ones. You just have to be careful which ones you read/watch.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Asking what your opinion on anime is, is like asking what your opinion on American television is. That's kind of a loaded question. Each show much be judged on an individual level, regardless of where it's made.
Last edited by Elrohir on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Elrohir wrote:Asking what your opinion on anime is, is like asking what your opinion on American television is. That's kind of a loaded question. Each show much be judged on an individual level, regardless of where it's made.
Agreed. Taken at face value as "animated programs and serialized comics produced in Japan", there's lots of good, bad, mediocre, and formulaic material out there... and some things that are common, not to say endemic, that really grate after a while.
Last edited by Caswin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Elrohir wrote:Asking what your opinion on anime is, is like asking what your opinion on American television is. That's kind of a loaded question. Each show much be judged on an individual level, regardless of where it's made.
Its response like these that usually kills these types of threads I make. These types of post are suppose to pop up later in threads....

Well anyways I change the subject of the thread. Any Anime/Manga are you guys into?

Currently reading a great manga called Vinland Saga as well as sticking to One Piece and Jojo Bizarre's adventure.
Last edited by gunblader3 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Gunblader3, I believe that first word you used is agains the rules....

I'm into tons of anime and mangas. I'm a huge anime/manga freak. Own tons too.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Favorite anime shows have been Digimon (seasons 1,2 and 4),

Big O,

and Kodocha.

Other shows and movies I like, but wouldn't consider favorites are Fullmetal Alchemist, Detective Conan, and Spirited Away.
Last edited by Elrohir on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Ah man, Digimon. The nostalgic feel is coming back to me. Remember waking up Saturday mornings just to go and watch it on foxkids.

But why not season 3?
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I love Fullmetal Alchemist.

And I have way too many animes and mangas that I like to list them all but at the top of my favorites is Kiba, Fruits Basket, Black Cat, Trigun, and Trinity Blood. For animes at least. Skip Beat is my ultimate favorite manga.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

gunblader3 wrote:Ah man, Digimon. The nostalgic feel is coming back to me. Remember waking up Saturday mornings just to go and watch it on foxkids.

But why not season 3?
It was good, but it wasn't quite as good as the others (It's got the same director as Big O, though)... the new ones are just awful... full of generic anime formulas that make you feel like you're watching a half hour commercial for the products.
Last edited by Elrohir on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Currently watching wolf's rain and cowboy bebop. I personally like anime's with excellent creative story and awesome animation.
StrongNChrist wrote:I love Fullmetal Alchemist.
Me too. I bought the whole boxset for 15 bucks (on a black friday at BlockBusters). I haven't watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood yet. Heard its suppose to be more loyal to its manga counterpart.
Elrohir wrote: the new ones are just awful... full of generic anime formulas that make you feel like you're watching a half hour commercial for the products.
That kinda sounds like the whole lot like the gundam, beyblade, and yugioh series if you ask me. Oh the Japanese and their marketing schemes lol.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I liked one or two that was on Cartoon Network back when they did the Toonami thing but a vast majority that I have seen have been dumb.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Never could get into Wolf's rain. Tried several times but it just couldn't interest me.

Currently I'm rewatching Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist and watching Kaichou wa Maid-Sama for the first time.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

The Top Crusader wrote:I liked one or two that was on Cartoon Network back when they did the Toonami thing but a vast majority that I have seen have been dumb.
To bad they took out toonami because CN refuses to show anime (from what I heard)

And what context do you mean by dumb?
StrongNChrist wrote:Never could get into Wolf's rain. Tried several times but it just couldn't interest me.

Currently I'm rewatching Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist and watching Kaichou wa Maid-Sama for the first time.
:cry: :cry:

Well whatever we all opinions. And Trigun is a nice one, but the manga is better IMO.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Yes we do ;) And I have tried watching Wolf's rain 3 times now. Just can't seem to get into it. Much like a few others :-

And I've heard that. I wouldn't know really. Only read one volume of the manga. :-

And....to progress on anime...I just finished Kaichou wa Maid-Sama. It's almost as good as the manga but ends way too soon :mecry: and am working on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time and Gosick for the first time.
MustacheGirl
Gold Member

Post by MustacheGirl »

I'm an Otaku!!! Wolf's Rain is one of my ultimate favorites!!!!!! I love Fruits Basket,Romeo X Juiet and soooo many More!!!! I'm currently watching Bleach, Spice and Wolf,Skip Beat(reading the manga with it), and I'm getting into SAO. I'm also watching tons of others but I need to finish them one by one now.
"If I were the rain that bind together the earth and sky, who in all eternity will never mingle, would I be able to bind the hearts of people together?"~Orihime Inoue
"All the people that get tossed about in history... I always hope they'll be reborn into a normal life... fall in love.. and end up living happily somewhere..."~France/Francis Bonnefoy