The Harry Potter Thread

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?

The Philosophers Stone
15%
The Chamber of Secrets
No votes
The Prisoner of Azkaban
8%
The Goblet of Fire
23%
The Order of the Phoenix
8%
The Half Blood Prince
8%
The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8%
The Deathly Hallows part 2
31%

Total votes: 13

No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

From my limited knowledge, I thin Emma Watson was an excellent casting choice for Hermione.

I think I might attempt to read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire over reading week, although it looks rather thick and I have a lot of school reading to do.

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Oh, I think she was an excellent choice as well. I'm not sure if the series would have been the same without her. I just don't think she was supposed to look as "pretty" as she did until much later. (GoF spoiler)
It would have, for example, made the effect of her showing up to the Yule Ball in the dress and up-done hair much stronger.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

darcie wrote:My child is pretty much year one Hermione. And I'm probably repeating myself to say that she heard all the books by the time she was 5 1/4. Took just over a year of bedtime stories to get through all seven. Now that she's older, she quite likes Ginny. Read each book again and again herself. And she's trying to get her two siblings as interested in them as she is. Isn't working completely, but they're happily watching the first movie with her right now. \:D/
5 and one fourth :0 I wish my Mom let me read them when I was 5 \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

She started reading them to herself just after that. She's probably read the first 10 times or more by now. Can't help but be proud of her. :D

We paused #1 last night for bedtime and resumed it this morning. Then watched #2 after that. Later we might do some Harry Potter Lego Years 5-7 on the Wii. That's pretty funny. Anyone else play it?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Harry Potter is one of the worst books and films every produce influenced personally by Satan.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
TigerintheShadows

Didn't I make it explicitly clear to take that somewhere else? We've had enough of that garbage without it being added to. In this thread, no one really cares about how demonic you think it is. This is to discuss the books, the characters, the plots, whatever. It is NOT for people to whine about "SATAN WROTE IT" or some nonsense. I do not mean to antagonize you, conquestor, but I have had enough of this attitude and I'm frankly tired of it. It doesn't belong in this thread.
darcie wrote:Anyone else play it?
After it came out, I got it the first day and that was just about all I played on my PS3. I have both games, and I adore them both. \:D/
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I have seen a little of it but what I see sends gives me chills. I admit some of the scenes are cool.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Didn't I make it explicitly clear to take that somewhere else? We've had enough of that garbage without it being added to. In this thread, no one really cares about how demonic you think it is. This is to discuss the books, the characters, the plots, whatever. It is NOT for people to whine about "SATAN WROTE IT" or some nonsense. I do not mean to antagonize you, conquestor, but I have had enough of this attitude and I'm frankly tired of it. It doesn't belong in this thread.
What do you expect when you keep making thread after thread about the same old controversial topics? I understand you specifically didn't make this topic, but what's the point? You always say "We don't wanna hear how satanic it is, this topic is just for discussion about the series itself" but nobody really discusses (besides two or three people who may as well just pm each other) and the same old argument always comes up! Please, common sense, people.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Or... just put yourself a step above and ignore the person trying to rile you. :P

*ahem*

The first movie was adorable. I was very unimpressed the further they got along, though. *shrugs*
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Taps

Post by Taps »

Termite wrote:Or... just put yourself a step above and ignore the person trying to rile you. :P

*ahem*

The first movie was adorable. I was very unimpressed the further they got along, though. *shrugs*
They were so awesome in the first movie \:D/ the scene when Harry woke up on Christmas... I have presents? \:D/

I have just started chapter 9 "The Dark Mark" Of the Goblet of Fire. Great book, very intresting so far. I love the Quidditch Chapters in every book \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Termite wrote:Or... just put yourself a step above and ignore the person trying to rile you. :P
Yes, but that never has happened on this board and likely never will. ;)
Taps

Post by Taps »

The Dark Mark was awesome!

GoF Spoiler:

The Death Eaters are coming back :o
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Speaking of your GoF spoiler... Kimberly's favorite thing in that movie is...
...when the minister says, "He's back!" Favorite. Of all time. :lol:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

^I thought that happened in the Order of the Phoenix :-k

Till the end of the line.
TigerintheShadows

Pip wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:Didn't I make it explicitly clear to take that somewhere else? We've had enough of that garbage without it being added to. In this thread, no one really cares about how demonic you think it is. This is to discuss the books, the characters, the plots, whatever. It is NOT for people to whine about "SATAN WROTE IT" or some nonsense. I do not mean to antagonize you, conquestor, but I have had enough of this attitude and I'm frankly tired of it. It doesn't belong in this thread.
What do you expect when you keep making thread after thread about the same old controversial topics? I understand you specifically didn't make this topic, but what's the point? You always say "We don't wanna hear how satanic it is, this topic is just for discussion about the series itself" but nobody really discusses (besides two or three people who may as well just pm each other) and the same old argument always comes up! Please, common sense, people.
Well, I was being rather harsh when I wrote that, and for that I apologize. My point was that everything about the "Harry Potter is evil" argument has been said to death and then some, and there's really no use debating that anymore when those who enjoy the series can discuss it.
Shennifer wrote:^I thought that happened in the Order of the Phoenix :-k
(OotP spoiler)
It did, actually, but seeing Fudge's little facade and Umbridge's reign of terror both being ripped to shreads was immensely satisfying no matter what movie or book it was from. \:D/ And I cannot have been the only one who inwardly cheered at Dumbledore's speech to Fudge at the end of GoF.
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Shennifer wrote:^I thought that happened in the Order of the Phoenix :-k
Whoops, brain failure. Of course it did. ...Um, but it was as a direct result of him not believing the events of the 4th? :anxious:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

^True :yes: and Ginny,
I did cheer reading that speech; it's a been awhile since I've seen that movie, it being my least favorite (of the films)

Till the end of the line.
TigerintheShadows

I always preferred the books over the films, mostly because with the books I can imagine the characters and the backgrounds however I want. However, the problem with imagining backgrouds is that I'm not very good at it. I need a map of Hogwarts or something so that I can get a good idea of where everything is.
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Which of the books did you read before seeing the movie? For me, it was only 6 & 7. I actually liked the ending of #3 better in the movie due to this. But maybe it is just because the action is condensed into more of a fast pace, making it more exciting. The end of 3 in the book is more drawn out. More detail, more backstory, which is awesome, but less sense of urgency. At least that's how it is in my memory.
I think the movie interpretations of 5 & 6 especially miss the details. Reading the books is like getting an inside view into why the characters act/feel the way they do in the movies.
Taps

Post by Taps »

I read the first book, then watched the first movie, read the second book, watched the second movie, and so on. I am on book 4 now, chapter 13. MAD EYE MOODY! :0