The Harry Potter Thread

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?

The Philosophers Stone
15%
The Chamber of Secrets
No votes
The Prisoner of Azkaban
8%
The Goblet of Fire
23%
The Order of the Phoenix
8%
The Half Blood Prince
8%
The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8%
The Deathly Hallows part 2
31%

Total votes: 13

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Who won the house cup Darcie?
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

darcie wrote:
31899 wrote:One of my siblings and I had a sorting party. I was put into Slytherin.

On the wand front, Maple and Pheonix Feather.

Slytherin, huh? Well, you are a little evil. That's a destined for greatness type wand. We should look forward to great things from you. Terrible yes, but great. ;)
I just realised you quoted Mr. Olivander.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I took a 100+ question Sorting test, and was sorted into Gryffindor. \:D/ It's settled.

Also, my Gryffindor iPad wallpaper. :inlove:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I think I also took that same one, and I'm still Hufflepuff...

Not sure what to think about that...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Taps

Post by Taps »

Yeah people have told me they don't trust the sorting system in Pottermore because the numbers in each house are very very similar, and they believe it puts you in a random house, so there is a fair fight for the house cup, which I most likely agree with. I have taken 8 other quizzes and gotten Gryffindor every time.

Post by 31899 »

For the record: The sorting system was designed by J.K. Rowling, I doubt she would modify its purpose in anyway. [This assumes she is as dedicated to the integrity of her work as I imagine].

There is new material on Pottermore! I have yet to check it out, but Prisoner of Azkaban \:D/
TigerintheShadows

I think that the problem is that when you choose an answer, it can't tell why--so you could choose a Ravenclw-ish answer for very Slytherin reasons, but it can't tell the difference.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

31899 wrote:I just realised you quoted Mr. Olivander.
\:D/

I haven't done any of book 2, but I'm pretty sure Kimberly will be chomping at the bit to get through the beginning of PoA once she gets home in 15 minutes.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Taps

Post by Taps »

I've finished CoS. Pretty nice stuff, all together though I think I'm slightly disappointing in Pottermore as a full result :( I mean the new info is cool but I don't want to have to be on the computer to read it. What I'm really itching for is a HP encyclopedia...

On another note you guys remember Steve from the ToO right? Well I finally got him to read the first one, and he finished them all by the end of the week :) Another soul won for Harry Potter!!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

So is Harry Potter still evil? Is that still a thing? I kind of miss the good old days when preachers would decry it as satanic and witchcraft at the same time. :( I mean, there's got to be someone on here who thinks it's evil.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:So is Harry Potter still evil? Is that still a thing? I kind of miss the good old days when preachers would decry it as satanic and witchcraft at the same time. :( I mean, there's got to be someone on here who thinks it's evil.
A very merry trolololo to you, too.

I believe that everyone who thinks that it's somehow evil thinks they had their say and had enough of it a few years ago, but now that you've brought it up again, I don't know.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Taps

Post by Taps »

So for Christmas I got all 8 movies and watched them in the course of 5 days... fun times :)
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Just watched Part 2 of the Deathly Hallow, man that was the best Harry Potter movie I watched in a while. Very epic and perfect finale to end the Potter movie series.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Taps

Post by Taps »

Man, the Hufflepuffs are kicking our butt, house cup wise :(

@gunblader Haha, it is definitely my favorite out of the series :) One of the most satisfying movies I have scene in a while...

Post by 31899 »

(Be careful if you look up other Blibbering Humdinger songs. Not all of their songs are family appropriate).
fodo14
Gold Member

Post by fodo14 »

So..........for the first time ever, I watched Harry Potter..........and.......I'M /.....GETTING!!! SUCKED!! IN!!!!!AHHHH :shock: :anxious:

But really, I wasn't aloud to read them or watch them when I was little. And just one day I said.....why not. So I read the first book........then watched all the movies.....and now.......I'm sacred I'm gonna be hooked. But what I wanted to know was. What are peoples views on why Harry Potter is good or evil?
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

fodo14 wrote:So..........for the first time ever, I watched Harry Potter..........and.......I'M /.....GETTING!!! SUCKED!! IN!!!!!AHHHH :shock: :anxious:

But really, I wasn't aloud to read them or watch them when I was little. And just one day I said.....why not. So I read the first book........then watched all the movies.....and now.......I'm sacred I'm gonna be hooked. But what I wanted to know was. What are peoples views on why Harry Potter is good or evil?
It's great you enjoy Harry Potter,but please don't ask that question. It is rather obvious why some hardcore conservative christians think Harry Potter is evil.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
TigerintheShadows

gunblader3 wrote:
fodo14 wrote:So..........for the first time ever, I watched Harry Potter..........and.......I'M /.....GETTING!!! SUCKED!! IN!!!!!AHHHH :shock: :anxious:

It's great you enjoy Harry Potter,but please don't ask that question. It is rather obvious why some hardcore conservative christians think Harry Potter is evil.
Yeah, we seriously don't need that argument up again. I tend to get pretty intense when it happens, and I can't be the only one. I actually raged at someone for saying that "Harry Potter is of the devil!" earlier in the thread because this thread was created to be an appreciation thread where fans of the books could gather. This is not, nor was it ever intended to be, a debate thread; I must ask you not to make it so.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

This is an article my friend wrote about Harry Potter. It was the product of many discussions we had after church. We have kids in our church on both sides of the issue, so there have been some interesting debates. I think this article sums up my beliefs about the subject just about perfectly. (Ignore the odd numbering; my friend said the format got messed up when he copied and pasted it from Word.)
Harry Potter

Or,

Witchcraft in Fantasy

This is a complicated issue, so I want to lay down some basic groundwork before I get down to the nitty-gritty about the actual move series.

1.What is witchcraft? Biblically defined, witchcraft is any form of dealing with demons, whether it’s communicating with them, using them to call up spirits, being possessed of one, or etc. Anything unless you’re casting them out. Something I see in many people is a basic, if unspoken, disbelief in the reality of witchcraft—especially among people like myself. This must be driven from our minds. Witchcraft is real. Demons are real. Witches, wizards, warlocks, necromancers, whatever you want to call them—are real. This isn’t just a scare tactic. I’m just stating a fact that for many of us, and thank God is it so, seems so far away or irrelevant that we can conveniently ignore it.

1.Things to consider when judging the worth—or worthlessness—of any movie. A.Most (though I think I could safely say all) secular movies will have “objectionable elements” i.e. sin, evil, wickedness, and etc., particularly to the Christian viewer. Wrong views of marriage, love, intimacy, witchcraft, rebellion, the roles of men and women in society and the family—all of these and more permeate much of today’s secular movies. Which leads me too…
B.Witchcraft is a sin…just like all the rest. While it must be admitted that there are definite degrees of heinousness in all of these areas, witchcraft is still “just a sin.” Not that that is a small thing, though. No, not at all. But it seems to me that so often we view witchcraft as the ‘cardinal sin’ when it comes to fantasy, books or movies. Do you allow your children to watch movies in which the good guys kiss (please don’t take that wrong), and yet staunchly refuse to let any form of ‘good magic’ onto the screen? Do you watch movies in which the hero is rebellious and disobedient (but of course it all works out in the end, right?) and yet hold to the standard that any hint of ‘good magic’ is inherently impermissible? To me, that seems a double standard. I believe one can watch a movie in which the hero kisses his girlfriend (and disapprove), as much as watch a movie in which the hero uses ‘good magic’ (and disapprove). Watching a movie with sinful elements in it is not automatically sinful. It can very well be a waste of time, a stumbling block, a conscience-hardening agent; all of which are bad. But it’s not automatically sinful. And a movie with sinful elements is not automatically, as a whole, sinful. It merely contains sin, which must be guarded against in all of its many forms. No, I’m not saying “watch an R-rated movie as long as you disapprove the bad parts.” No. If the core of the plot is based on blatant sin, your safest move is to stay away.

1.The nitty-gritty. So what about ‘good magic’? What about ‘good witches’? What about Harry Potter?

A.Good magic?

No such thing. Real-world magic is in reality witchcraft. I’m not talking about sleight-of-hand tricks. I’m talking about real supernatural events. That type of magic is never good, and to portray it as good in any way is sinful. But so many times, magic, in a fantasy world, takes on a different meaning. It is a ‘power’ to tap into, and is not (necessarily) associated with demons. In the real world, that’s not real magic, that’s a fairy-tale. So to portray that as good is not wrong. Good guys can use ‘magic’ in a fantasy world, as long as that ‘magic’ isn’t real witchcraft, and that’s fine.

Harry Potter: If Harry gets his power from fantasy magic, a mysterious force that is not related to devils, it’s okay. But if he gets his power from devils, that’s…not okay.

1.Good witches?

No such thing. A witch is someone who associates with and works through demons/devils. By definition, they cannot be good. To portray any such person as good is bad. But if a ‘witch’ works his stuff by a ‘special power’ not related to devils, he’s not really a witch, and not bad, merely a fantasy character with ‘amazing superpowers.’

Harry Potter: If he uses real witchcraft, to portray him as a ‘good witch’ is to twist the truth. If he uses a fantasy ‘good magic’ not related to devils, he’s a “good witch” i.e. a ‘fantasy character with amazing superpowers.’

1.Harry Potter?

Will I watch Harry Potter? Not in the near future (if ever). My parents disapprove the series, and for good reasons, so I won’t watch them. End of story. However, I don’t think it is wrong to watch them, even if Harry Potter really uses real witchcraft! That may be a surprise, but Batman has a girlfriend. Bad. And he kisses her. Bad. He is the good guy, the hero, and something sinful he does is made to look good. Bad. [Maybe we should call him Badman, huh?] But I still watch(ed) it, and I don’t think it is wrong to watch it.

If Harry Potter doesn’t use real witchcraft, there is less reason not to watch it, the same as if Batman didn’t have a girlfriend who he kissed. Or Aragorn. Or Caspian. Or…you get the point.

Though I don’t think it is wrong to watch Harry Potter, I do not believe that it is right or fine to portray witchcraft as possibly good, or to portray the good guy as a “good” witch. That is bad. But it’s not necessarily bad to watch a movie with stuff like that in it.

So if Harry uses real witchcraft, the movie series is BAD. But it’s not BAD to watch them.

1.More nitty-gritty.

Harry Potter has adverse effects on some people, getting them interested in the real-world occult practices. That is bad.

But on the other hand, many other movies have adverse effects on many people in other areas: bad views of ‘falling in love,’ no regulations for pre-marital intimacy (from hugs and kisses to the most blatant expressions), and the list could go on. And all that is bad, too.

To be consistent, if you don’t watch Harry Potter because of witchcraft being portrayed as good (assuming that Harry uses the real kind), don’t watch Batman because of the kissing scenes being portrayed as good. They are both evil made to look good or enjoyable (yes; horror of horrors, in case you haven’t already guessed, I do believe that premarital kissing is wrong). Granted, there are differences between the two examples, but I think you get the point.

1.Common opinions I don’t agree with.

A.“Don’t watch ANY secular movies.”

They’re sure to be unbiblical in at least one area, a potential stumbling-block; so don’t watch them. No double standard there, which I like.

But in many cases, the plot is what shines through in a movie, and is why we entertain ourselves with it. The sinful parts are a part of life and should be ignored, shunned, discussed, and argued against from Scripture. Please don’t think I’m saying it’s okay to watch “just anything” for the sake of the plot. I’m not saying that.

1.“Everyone has their own opinion.”

Typical pacifist’s quick way out of an argument…and dangerously close to the pit of relativism. True, we all have opinions; but so does God. And His trumps ours.

We must take care to discern what His will is before we form our own opinions.

1.“I don’t have an opinion; I know it’s wrong.”

Typical authoritarian’s overbearing ‘argument’ to blast away all opposing viewpoints…and not much of a persuasion technique, or much of an argument.

No more comment…I know that opinion is bad.

In summary, if Harry uses real witchcraft and is still portrayed as a “good” witch, the series is fundamentally bad and twisting the truth. If he is merely using a fantasy power that has no relation to devils, it is not bad to represent him as the good guy.

In the first or second case, it is not inherently sinful to watch the movie series, provided your motives are right and you’re not just wasting your time.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Premarital intimacy... hugging... O.o Someone should get me a priest, then. Looks like I'm going to have to have a shot gun wedding. :(
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein