The Harry Potter Thread

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?

The Philosophers Stone
15%
The Chamber of Secrets
No votes
The Prisoner of Azkaban
8%
The Goblet of Fire
23%
The Order of the Phoenix
8%
The Half Blood Prince
8%
The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8%
The Deathly Hallows part 2
31%

Total votes: 13

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

What I think most people don't understand is in fiction different rules apply, simply because reality is different. Witchcraft as put above in this world is evil. However in the world of Harry Potter (As I understand it.) magic is hereditary. As put:
If he is merely using a fantasy power that has no relation to devils, it is not bad to represent him as the good guy.
Therefore it is not in essence evil because of that in my opinion. (Nor at all for that matter.) And magic should have no bearing on whether you read it.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Termite wrote:Premarital intimacy... hugging... O.o Someone should get me a priest, then. Looks like I'm going to have to have a shot gun wedding. :(
I considered editing that part out. I knew that was going to turn people off to what he said...
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Does he like Star Wars?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

. . .

Yeah, I don't watch Harry Potter, but that's so totally a fail ._. It was however, quite amusing :anxious:

"That may be a surprise, but Batman has a girlfriend. Bad. And he kisses her. Bad. He is the good guy, the hero, and something sinful he does is made to look good. Bad. [Maybe we should call him Badman, huh?]" That's where I lost it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Termite wrote:Does he like Star Wars?
I don't think he personally has seen it, but I'm pretty sure some of his older siblings have, and they don't have a problem with it.

I like Star Wars. :D
Marvin D. wrote:. . .

Yeah, I don't watch Harry Potter, but that's so totally a fail ._. It was however, quite amusing :anxious:

"That may be a surprise, but Batman has a girlfriend. Bad. And he kisses her. Bad. He is the good guy, the hero, and something sinful he does is made to look good. Bad. [Maybe we should call him Badman, huh?]" That's where I lost it.
I'm so telling him you said that, Josh. :P
Last edited by Christian A. on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Christian A. wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:"That may be a surprise, but Batman has a girlfriend. Bad. And he kisses her. Bad. He is the good guy, the hero, and something sinful he does is made to look good. Bad. [Maybe we should call him Badman, huh?]" That's where I lost it.
I'm so telling him you said that, Josh. :P
*cough* It wouldn't be the one whose name starts with an M, would it? O:)

quote tag fixed ~ bookworm
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

It would. :P

People on the SS said it was a really good article and that they agreed with it. Figures that you guys would tear it apart and pick on parts that were mere sidenotes and totally irrelevant. I guess the SS really is the better forum. :noway:
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I don't care about the asides about kissing and whatnot. I know people who think premarital kissing is wrong, and that's their prerogative.

I liked what he had to say essentially because his point was what KF said--fantasy worlds and literature are governed by different rules than real life is. It would be like me accusing Marvin of wanting to participate in the Roman gladiatorial games because his bloodlust has been aroused by his enjoyment of The Hunger Games. ;) A bit extreme, but you get the point--you shouldn't accuse someone of potentially participating in something just because it is done in a book or movie that they enjoy.
"That may be a surprise, but Batman has a girlfriend.
Taken out of context...ouch. ;)
(assuming that Harry uses the real kind)
Under those definitions, neither he nor anyone else in the series uses "the real kind", although Voldemort's disfigured appearance comes partly from his own meddling in things in which he should not have.
Knight Fisher wrote:However in the world of Harry Potter (As I understand it.) magic is hereditary.
Not to get too nerdy and nitpicky here, but...yes and no. ;) Most of the time this is true, and magic runs in families much like House placement does. But there are many characters--including Hermione herself--who are Muggle born, and there is the possibility of a Squib, someone who is born into a magical family but without magic powers. But at the core, yes, magic is hereditary--it's a lot like bending in the Avatar: The Last Airbender universe.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I think we should just introduce people who don't like Harry Potter to the Dark Lord. They would be 'best pals.'
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Ginny Weasley wrote:
(assuming that Harry uses the real kind)
Under those definitions, neither he nor anyone else in the series uses "the real kind", although Voldemort's disfigured appearance comes partly from his own meddling in things in which he should not have.
I was going to say this. Harry Potter is completely lacking in demons.
31899 wrote:I think we should just introduce people who don't like Harry Potter to the Dark Lord. They would be 'best pals.'
Tom gets up to all the stuff they would find objectionable about Harry and then some. It wouldn't work out.
Last edited by Caswin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Caswin wrote:
31899 wrote:I think we should just introduce people who don't like Harry Potter to the Dark Lord. They would be 'best pals.'
Tom gets up to all the stuff they would find objectionable about Harry and then some. It wouldn't work out.
Never mind, it was full of double meanings and sarcasm. I thought it was clever. I apologise it was not clear that it was a mild joke.
TigerintheShadows

31899 wrote:
Caswin wrote:
Never mind, it was full of double meanings and sarcasm. I thought it was clever. I apologise it was not clear that it was a mild joke.
I got your sarcasm, 31899. ;)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Termite wrote:Premarital intimacy... hugging... O.o Someone should get me a priest, then. Looks like I'm going to have to have a shot gun wedding. :(
Marvin D. wrote:. . .

My friend wrote another article on the subject of premarital kissing, as a result of my telling him how you guys picked him apart for saying what he said. So, read it here if you're interested.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I said hugging, not kissing. ;) So excuse me.

And I resent the implication of cannibalism.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Termite wrote: And I resent the implication of cannibalism.
:mrgreen: I chuckled quite hard. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I know nearly nothing about Harry Potter, but even I can see the problems in that article.
Good magic?

No such thing. Real-world magic is in reality witchcraft. I’m not talking about sleight-of-hand tricks. I’m talking about real supernatural events. That type of magic is never good, and to portray it as good in any way is sinful. But so many times, magic, in a fantasy world, takes on a different meaning. It is a ‘power’ to tap into, and is not (necessarily) associated with demons. In the real world, that’s not real magic, that’s a fairy-tale. So to portray that as good is not wrong. Good guys can use ‘magic’ in a fantasy world, as long as that ‘magic’ isn’t real witchcraft, and that’s fine.
This entire paragraph contradicts itself repeatedly. It says ‘Magic and witchcraft are the same thing. Witchcraft is bad therefore magic is bad. Magic and witchcraft are not the same thing. Magic is okay if it’s not witchcraft.’ Which is it? :|
It’s correct that in real life there is no difference, so both are bad, but we’re not talking about real life, he even says that!
If Harry gets his power from fantasy magic, a mysterious force that is not related to devils, it’s okay. But if he gets his power from devils, that’s…not okay.
That is correct. And it’s the former. So... what is the issue here?
Good witches?

No such thing. A witch is someone who associates with and works through demons/devils. By definition, they cannot be good.
In real life, absolutely correct. In Harry Potter, not so much. Actually, not at all. In that world magical powers are natural, for some, there is no demonic agreement that makes them possible. It’s similar to Star Wars where you are either born a Force sensitive or not. What’s good or evil is how you use your powers, not how you have them.
Again, he himself said that if the power is not really witchcraft, in the literal sense, then it’s okay, and it’s not! So why is there a problem?

I’m not even going to go into the ‘kissing’ stuff because that could get off topic quickly. The main issue at hand is the allegations of demonic influences.
To reiterate, yes in real life there is no good witchcraft because it is all from the Devil. No one is saying otherwise. But in Harry Potter, that is not the case at all. Magic is simply there, it’s the ‘amazing power’ that some can ‘tap into’ as the article puts it. By the article’s own argument, that kind of ‘witchcraft’ is okay, so why is there even a discussion happening?
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Thanks Bookworm :) I think we can just end this debate though...
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Was there a "Harry Potter is evil!!!!!1!!!!1!!!" debate? Yay! This makes me happy. I was looking for one earlier in this thread.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

bookworm wrote:By the article’s own argument, that kind of ‘witchcraft’ is okay, so why is there even a discussion happening?
That's my question. :P My point was to give my friend's thoughts on the subject, as an example of a different perspective from a fundamentalist. People seemed to misunderstand that...
TigerintheShadows

More or less, I was glad to hear someone besides myself state that different rules govern fiction than govern real life--having someone on your side who's not a fan of what you're debating is refreshing.
AIO tumblr sideblog