The Harry Potter Thread

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?

The Philosophers Stone
15%
The Chamber of Secrets
No votes
The Prisoner of Azkaban
8%
The Goblet of Fire
23%
The Order of the Phoenix
8%
The Half Blood Prince
8%
The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8%
The Deathly Hallows part 2
31%

Total votes: 13

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I read all the books first. I was always aware of the HP movies, but I refused to watch them before I read the books (or maybe it just worked out that way, I don't know, it was four years ago). Aside from some stuff I watched at a slumber party, GoF and OotP were the first PG-13 movies I saw, and as far as I know, they were the only ones that my parents would have allowed me to watch before the age of thirteen.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Just finished the Weighing of the Wands.

Snape and Ron are so annoying in this chapter :x
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

HArRY POTTR IS EVILZ!!!11!!!! No, not really. @ Ginny's spoiler,
I love Snape! He is my fav. He is so amazing. Snape FTW
~Mark Prescott~
TigerintheShadows

I just hate Snape regardless, Taps. ;) Mark, I hope you at least see him for what he is, and not just the "beautiful Woobie" that he's made out to be in fanfic.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I'm currently reading the fourth book and I think the conversation between Mr. Weasley and the Vernons is hilarious.

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Guys, from the standpoint of someone who's only seen the films... Snape is beautiful. His character complexity is what keeps the story so exciting and captivating. Even if you don't care for his personality, you simply have to admire the stunning quality of his character and the significance of his actions. The final film would have been LAME and SHALLOW without him. :x
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
TigerintheShadows

Oh, I'm not denying that he's a well-written character. HP wouldn't be what it is without him. But the personality is precisely why I don't like him. He treats Harry like dirt...because of something his father did. He treats Neville like dirt for absolutely no reason. He's a bitter bully of a man who really needs to get over his old rivalry.

Mr. Weasley vs. the Dursleys...oh, what a win. \:D/
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

31899 wrote:I'm currently reading the fourth book and I think the conversation between Mr. Weasley and the Vernons is hilarious.

That indeed had all types of win \:D/
Jelly wrote:Guys, from the standpoint of someone who's only seen the films... Snape is beautiful. His character complexity is what keeps the story so exciting and captivating. Even if you don't care for his personality, you simply have to admire the stunning quality of his character and the significance of his actions. The final film would have been LAME and SHALLOW without him. :x
If you see one of my posts before in this thread, you will see that I will agree with you :yes: He is a very intricate character.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Plus, he's Alan Rickman, which is full of win. Alan Rickman is an actor, like Gary Oldman, where you really have no idea what he looks like or acts like in person because his characters are so varied and real.

Mr. Weasley: "What exactly is the function of a rubber duck?" \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Jelly wrote:Guys, from the standpoint of someone who's only seen the films... Snape is beautiful. His character complexity is what keeps the story so exciting and captivating. Even if you don't care for his personality, you simply have to admire the stunning quality of his character and the significance of his actions.
Ginny Weasley wrote:Oh, I'm not denying that he's a well-written character. HP wouldn't be what it is without him. But the personality is precisely why I don't like him. He treats Harry like dirt...because of something his father did. He treats Neville like dirt for absolutely no reason. He's a bitter bully of a man who really needs to get over his old rivalry.
It's worth noting that a lot of his bullying and cruelty were lost in the translation to film. He's even more of an unpleasant character in the novels.
Last edited by Caswin on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
TigerintheShadows

And that's what bothers me. A lot of stuff was lost in translation in the films, such as Snape's bullying, Draco's nastiness, and anything that dared make Hermione look bad and Ron look good.
AIO tumblr sideblog

Post by 31899 »

I feel like the puppet pals portray the book characters fairly accurately.

TigerintheShadows

Oh, yeah. Those are definitely true interpretations. ;) The Potter Puppet Pals are truly hysterical, though.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Oh, yeah. Those are definitely true interpretations. ;) The Potter Puppet Pals are truly hysterical, though.
"Snape, Snape, Severus Snape" ;)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

A line from one video had been recited to my kids (but they haven't seen it yet), and my 2 year old picked it up... It is really strange for her tiny voice to say, "I've found the source of the mysterious ticking noise. It's a pipe bomb!"
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Taps

Post by Taps »

darcie wrote:A line from one video had been recited to my kids (but they haven't seen it yet), and my 2 year old picked it up... It is really strange for her tiny voice to say, "I've found the source of the mysterious ticking noise. It's a pipe bomb!"
You should tell her to never say that in public. In an airport that could be a disaster.

2 year old: (in front of security) Mommy, I found the source of the ticking!
Darcie: It's just my watch honey.
2 year old: It's a PIPE BOMB!
Security: WHAAAT?!?

Just saying \:D/

Post by 31899 »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Oh, yeah. Those are definitely true interpretations. ;) The Potter Puppet Pals are truly hysterical, though.
I knew you would agree with me :D

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I just saw the first movie \:D/ it was great. They were all so little!

Till the end of the line.
TigerintheShadows

I know! They were so cute. Especially Daniel and Rupert. :inlove:
AIO tumblr sideblog
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

LOL at the poll results.
Ginny Weasley wrote:I know! They were so cute. Especially Daniel and Rupert. :inlove:
I was just impressed how good of Actors they really are. I recently saw this movie with my nephew and was just wowed by their performance. Every character in the movie was pretty spot on with their character. Though I'm pretty sure in the book, Harry's thunderbolt scar was suppose to be in the middle of his forehead.

Man I have to go back and read the books on my free time.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith