The Harry Potter Thread

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?

The Philosophers Stone
15%
The Chamber of Secrets
No votes
The Prisoner of Azkaban
8%
The Goblet of Fire
23%
The Order of the Phoenix
8%
The Half Blood Prince
8%
The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8%
The Deathly Hallows part 2
31%

Total votes: 13

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

The Harry Potter Thread

Post by Taps »

This is a thread for Harry Potter, just to discuss it, and talk about your favorite characters, places,spells- anything \:D/

Put spoilers please, and above it put which book the spoiler is from, so people who are midway through the series will know whether to look or not.
Last edited by Taps on Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

lawl.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

...again...?
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

This is a discussion thread. This is not where you post your "HARRY POTR IZ EVULZ AND CORRUPTIN OUR CHILDREN ROWLIN MUST DIE!!1!!!@!" rant. Please, if you have a problem with Harry Potter as far as the fairy-tale magic is concerned, just keep it to yourself. The "Harry Potter is evil" argument has been done to death and then some.

That being said, I adore this series. Ginny is perhaps one of my favorites, second only to Harry. I really relate to both characters, because they put up with a great deal and they overcome it. I'm probably one of the few Potter fangirls that absolutely despises the villainous characters, such as Draco and Voldemort. DH Spoiler:
I also really loathe Snape, no matter how much he loved Harry's mother Lily.
I really do believe that Snape has absolutely no right to treat the students the way he does, especially Harry and Neville. It almost gets to abusive levels. The man's a sadist.

Any fellow Potternerds have a favorite book? Because mine's probably Prisoner of Azkaban.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

Mine so far is Prisoner of Azkaban. Very good book :D. The end is very surprising, and unpredictable but in a good way.

I like Snape very much, granted that he is somewhat of an antagonist, he is a very complex character and hard to read. and I am only on book 4 :D
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

HARRY POTTER IS OF THE DEVIL :x

I mean, I'd just like to throw in the fact that while I don't care for it, Daniel Radcliffe earned awesome points with me after he sang The Elements. Jussayin.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAaiYKF0cs
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I never read the books, and I doubt I'll ever care enough to take the time, but I did sit down and watch all the movies. By the time Half Blood Prince rolled around, I was totally captivated. \:D/ The final two films are absolutely excellent.
Last edited by jelly on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Peeta wrote:HARRY POTTER IS OF THE DEVIL :x

I mean, I'd just like to throw in the fact that while I don't care for it, Daniel Radcliffe earned awesome points with me after he sang The Elements. Jussayin.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAaiYKF0cs
*chucks Marvin out of the room*
I love the Harry Potter books and the movies. I actually saw almost all the movies before reading the books. And I started with the last two books after seeing Order of the Phoenix movie. (not the best idea I've ever had, but at least now I like the books better than the movies)
I haven't read them lately, but that's probably good because I've read them a lot and need a break. The last two films were indeed very excellent :) they all are in there own way, but I want people to read the books so they grasp more of the story because especially with the middle movies I think people got a bit tired of the same routine without really understanding what was going on.

Till the end of the line.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I have yet to read the last for books :(. Summer project? Maybe.

TigerintheShadows

I totally agree with you, Shen. They left out some plot points in the movies that probably left some of the filmgoers scratching their heads. The books will always be superior in my mind, especially book!Hermione. Movie!Hermione gets on my last nerve.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

Jelly wrote:I never read the books, and I doubt I'll ever care enough to take the time, but I did sit down and watch all the movies. By the time Half Blood Prince rolled around, I was totally captivated. \:D/ The final two films are absolutely excellent.
Yes, they certainly got better as they went \:D/ . The first few films made me laugh out loud.

(Although they weren't the worst films I have seen)

Chapter 6 of Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire \:D/ Making progress...
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I want to read the books eventually, considering they're like the most popular thing of the 21st century, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. I do want to see the movies though. :yes:
Taps

Post by Taps »

Pip wrote:I want to read the books eventually, considering they're like the most popular thing of the 21st century, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. I do want to see the movies though. :yes:
I believe if you are interested at all about the books, you should fo' sho' read the books first, before you watch the movies :yes:
TigerintheShadows

Oh, yeah. The books give you a much better idea of the series and its characters. Especially Hermione...grrr. Movie!Hermione drives me crazy.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

What don't you like about Hermione?
TigerintheShadows

The movie version gets on my last nerve. I like her well enough in the books. I think she has too many fans who ship her with Draco Malfoy for the sole purpose of wish fulfillment, but that's beside the point. I don't like Movie!Hermione because the way she looks is very contradictory to the Hermione from the books.

I don't blame Emma Watson for this--it's not her fault if she's pretty, just as it's not Daniel Radcliffe's fault that puberty was not necessarily kind to him--but I do blame the directors and make-up artists for making her too pretty too soon. Hermione was always described as having bushy hair and being an obnoxious, insufferable know-it-all. The first two movies did this very well. She didn't have much of a fashion sense, and her hair was as teased and poofed as they could make it. Then in the third movie, the filmmakers and artists apparently decided that "bushy" and "princess curls" mean the same thing, and that suddenly, the somewhat-socially-awkward bookworm knew fashion. That's not Hermione, and that really bothered me.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

Ginny Weasley wrote:The movie version gets on my last nerve. I like her well enough in the books. I think she has too many fans who ship her with Draco Malfoy for the sole purpose of wish fulfillment, but that's beside the point. I don't like Movie!Hermione because the way she looks is very contradictory to the Hermione from the books.

I don't blame Emma Watson for this--it's not her fault if she's pretty, just as it's not Daniel Radcliffe's fault that puberty was not necessarily kind to him--but I do blame the directors and make-up artists for making her too pretty too soon. Hermione was always described as having bushy hair and being an obnoxious, insufferable know-it-all. The first two movies did this very well. She didn't have much of a fashion sense, and her hair was as teased and poofed as they could make it. Then in the third movie, the filmmakers and artists apparently decided that "bushy" and "princess curls" mean the same thing, and that suddenly, the somewhat-socially-awkward bookworm knew fashion. That's not Hermione, and that really bothered me.
Yes, I see your point. I actually think that Emma Watson was a very good Hermione, I just wish the make up artists didn't change everything :x

If they for some reason made a relaunch of the series I would totally play Draco if I had the chance \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

My child is pretty much year one Hermione. And I'm probably repeating myself to say that she heard all the books by the time she was 5 1/4. Took just over a year of bedtime stories to get through all seven. Now that she's older, she quite likes Ginny. Read each book again and again herself. And she's trying to get her two siblings as interested in them as she is. Isn't working completely, but they're happily watching the first movie with her right now. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
TigerintheShadows

:shock: That's the best one! I'm going to Apparate to your house now.

[...]

Dang. Ah, well. :-
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

We usually list the third as favorite. Her, for its lack of You-Know-Who, me for the clock imagery and foreshadowing.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon