Resonance

a short film

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Resonance

Post by jelly »

I'm probably pushing my luck with this one, but you guys have faithfully watched and critiqued some of my work in the past and I appreciate every comment. :)

It's.. not exactly conventional. It's not so much of a story as it is fragments of a story, scattered emotions and an apocalyptic theme. It's experimental, but also purposeful.

Remember, it's okay if you don't understand it. There doesn't always have to be a puzzle. I'm more interested in evoking emotions and whatnot.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I tried so many times to watch this, man. Vimeo never, ever agrees with my internet connection.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Oh man - that's rough. :( I didn't realize Vimeo posed difficulties for people. Anyone else having trouble?
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I do. I can get it working if my life depends on it, but it’s a major hassle with my browsers/network.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Is it just that Vimeo doesn't load properly? or at all?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The site itself works fine, but playing videos is pretty much impossible. I mean, they 'play', but it’s not watchable. It’s choppy and jumps around, like there’s some kind of network overload. The player they use must be too resource intensive or something.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

After watching more than an hour straight of YouTube videos without buffering, I decided to try again and document what happened...
  • Watched 2 seconds.
    Vimeo paused it.
    I waited 30 seconds for it to buffer.
    Hit play.
    Nothing happened.
    I skipped it to 3 seconds in.
    Video played until 29 seconds, then Vimeo paused it again to buffer.
    I waited an entire minute for it to buffer.
    I watched until about the one minute mark, then the whole video player froze.
    Then I gave up for the last time.
Dude, your voiceover, characters, videoing and background music are worthy of an Inception trailer. I think you're going to be a major filmmaker someday. This video has been on my watchlist all week and I've tried to watch it at least a dozen times. The parts I saw were great. Nice job. :)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I don't know much about film I'm afraid. I had to watch this twice before I could comment at all, but I have to say it's rather beautiful. I didn't understand it entirely, but I still thought it was quite powerful. There's something really raw and emotional about it, and it made me want to watch it again, and try and understand it.

Like I said, I don't know about film, but for what my opinion's worth I really liked this. :) I'd love to see more.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Wow. AE, Smaug - thank you! It means so much to me that you were both willing to invest thought and energy into responding with such encouragement. :)

AE, sorry your internet hates you. :( I know Vimeo just updated its video player the other day - did that change anything?

Smaug, there's a lot I don't understand about film either. To be frank, that's largely why I'm so attracted to it. Conventional Hollywood can easily cause us to forget that film is a glorious art form with nearly unlimited potential and freedom of expression. I like watching filmmakers that try new things, step out of their comfort zone, and experiment. That being said, is there a point that filmmakers (or any artist, really) are just being pretentious? Yeah, there probably is. Personally, I struggle with my ego, and I would have to be honest with myself if someone criticized by work of being overly self-indulgent. I want to be open to criticism.

And I'm certainly not always going to be doing stuff like this. ;) I want to tell narratives, stories that make sense, and not just dwell in the abstract. This was largely an experiment, and to be honest, an impulsive desire to express my emotions artistically. So.. take that for what it's worth. :P
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Successfully watched it on my phone. Good show.
Jelly wrote:I want to tell narratives, stories that make sense, and not just dwell in the abstract.
As much as I enjoyed your blending of the music, voiceover and video clips, I took forward to the day when you'll tell us stories. ;)

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Noted! :) Cheers bro.