LOST soundtrack - what is that instrument?

Anyone with knowledge of percussion instruments?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

LOST soundtrack - what is that instrument?

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Ok, this is a weird one.

I was watching LOST again recently, and man, that soundtrack is awesome. I love Michael Giacchino! But that's another discussion. I put this topic here because it's a soundtrack for a TV show, but I'd appreciate it if any percussion-buffs out there would help..

So, in the episode "Numbers" in season one, there's a theme that plays under Hurley's flashbacks. It's the same motif that plays for other Hurley moments, but this time it's played on some pitched percussion (?) instrument. It sounds sort of like a marimba, but something about it sounds really echoey and strange... It's totally wrecking my head trying to decide what it is..

Have a listen, if anyone can help me out, I'd super appreciate it!

Very minor spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen LOST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dELZJy2OlSA
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I have no idea... but LOST music is pretty great. \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Three questions:
Who named that lottery? It is the worst name ever! Try remembering that for the web url! I think I know why they don't have many winners...
If he just one no doubt billions, what is with that *cough* beaming bright and sunny grin on his face?
So, I get it that this guy is beating Whit by a few dozen Maxie Deluxe Burgers, but outside of that he looks fine. No blood anywhere. What is with the thud move?

One answer: It sounds like it could be a djembe with a little bit of post production on it.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Thanks Lightning. I hadn't considered a drum, mostly because the range of notes played made me think tuned percussion.

Incidentally, is there a forum on the ToO for soundtracks? There is a faction, right?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I don't know. But there is a LOST faction.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Eh, what about my questions, they are kinda real... I was very lost by the video... :?
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Apologies LIGHTNING, I thought they were rhetorical questions. Here are some answers for you!

LIGHTNING wrote:Who named that lottery? It is the worst name ever! Try remembering that for the web url! I think I know why they don't have many winners...
Is "Mega Lotto Jackpot" an unusual name for a lottery? I don't know much about lotteries... I would assume it's like, the in-world national lottery and so any web searches for "lottery" would bring up the webpage.
LIGHTNING wrote:If he just one no doubt billions, what is with that *cough* beaming bright and sunny grin on his face?
When you've just won an excess of $100M, your first reaction is probably disbelief. Again, I'm guessing, because I've never won an excess of $100M. Don't worry, he smiles later.
LIGHTNING wrote:So, I get it that this guy is beating Whit by a few dozen Maxie Deluxe Burgers, but outside of that he looks fine. No blood anywhere. What is with the thud move?
Why does he faint? Because fainting when you've received shocking news is the funny and appropriate way to react, according to television. Especially if you're the Plucky Comic Relief. Also, I don't know, maybe he has blood pressure problems? It isn't really explained any further.

If you want to know more about that scene, I suggest you watch LOST because it is brilliant and clever (for a while) and the music is really wonderful. And it's like one of the only thrilling TV dramas I can watch without having to worry about sudden and unexpected gore showing up and being all waaaaahhhhh I'm disgusting and bloody and in your face!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

It sounds a bit like a heavily-processed Hang Drum...

YouTube link fixed. -snubs
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

That hang drum is so cool. I've never seen/heard of that before.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Oh, I think I have heard of this before... Lost, okay, are they still making them?
So wait, snubs has the power to edit posts??? 0_o So for all we know I am not even writing this!!! Oh, by the way, I have a crush on Snubs and I think we all should give her all of our ToO money.
Anyways, that drum sounds amazing! Yes, it could be that... I love that sound though! Hm, what was that on 2:58??? In the crowd! Is that what I think it is??? 0_o
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

LIGHTNING wrote:So wait, snubs has the power to edit posts??? 0_o So for all we know I am not even writing this!!! Oh, by the way, I have a crush on Snubs and I think we all should give her all of our ToO money.
I WOULD NEVER DO SUCH A THING. :evillaugh:
That would go against mod/admin protocol to edit other people's posts for no reason and without leaving a note.
LIGHTNING wrote:Hm, what was that on 2:58??? In the crowd! Is that what I think it is??? 0_o
ALIENS. :panic: