The ToO Reacts to React World

hope we don't get taken down for this.

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

The ToO Reacts to React World

Post by Joy »

So I'm not sure if all of you have heard of the Fine Bros (the creators of Kids React, etc) new React World idea, and their plan to license react videos, but I find it frankly appalling.

Here's a link to their original announcement video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97shWRfs4c

Here's a link to their update video after receiving hundreds of thousands of dislikes and unsubscribers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-vuI9vKfg

Also, here are two videos the well known education content creator CGPGrey created in response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Zr7c-J6qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dPnaAt-Rbs

I think this is the scary beginnings of where YouTube, and the Internet as a whole is headed. I would love to hear some of your thoughts and opinions on the subject, especially as I am not very informed on trademarks and how they work etc. Perhaps the Fine Bros only have good intentions, but I really really doubt it.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

(I only watched the CGP Grey videos and not the originals)

The CGP Grey video's constant amazingly strongly with his usual style in both his podcasts and his main videos.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Moontide wrote:(I only watched the CGP Grey videos and not the originals)

The CGP Grey video's constant amazingly strongly with his usual style in both his podcasts and his main videos.
I know, I find it absolutely hilarious. I really love his surfer dude/valley girl persona.

I think this has to be a pretty big deal for CGP Grey to get involved in YouTube drama, but he does care a lot about copyright and trademark stuff, so it isn't entirely surprising.

I also assume you have some sort of context to be able to watch those videos and understand what he's talking about?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

I also assume you have some sort of context to be able to watch those videos and understand what he's talking about?
I have seen, I think, two Kids React videos, so I understand the concept, and from listening to Grey's parody, I can guess what happened.

(Now I have watched the Fine Bros videos)
Given that they explicitly say that they are not claiming rights to all reaction videos, I don't think it will be huge problem. It could be problematic if they try to protect their form of reaction video too heavily; it does mean that YouTube is becoming more corporate; and trying to sell it as a community is weird. However, there doesn't seem to be anything drastically bad happening in my opinion. Now, I don't watch reaction videos, so I may be missing some element of reaction-video culture that makes this far worse.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The big problem is that they're trying to trademark the word "React". And already have a long history of iffy at best DMCA takedowns on other competing reaction channels. They're also trying to trademark stuff like "Try not to smile or laugh". This is a pretty good breakdown. http://ryanmorrisonlaw.com/attorneys-re ... trademark/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

yeah, I've heard about them basically rallying their fans to attack Ellen because she had kids react to old technology and stole their "format".

I find it strange that they go after people for stealing their ideas and content and format, when their whole show is based on using other people's content.

Also, I do not approve of people using this whole situation as an excuse for Antisemitism, due to the Fine Bros being Jewish. It's sad and upsetting to see those kinds of comments getting lots of likes and upvotes on places like Reddit and YouTube.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

The big problem is that they're trying to trademark the word "React". And already have a long history of iffy at best DMCA takedowns on other competing reaction channels. They're also trying to trademark stuff like "Try not to smile or laugh". This is a pretty good breakdown. http://ryanmorrisonlaw.com/attorneys-re ... trademark/
Oh, I can see how that is bad, especially because those are already well established terms. Though, even if the trademark is held as valid, you could always just make a new name for react videos, like "audience videos".

This is similar to how Candy Crush trademarked "Candy" in the context of games or clothing.

There is an attorney who is working Pro Bono to depute the trademark.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

They appear to have changed course.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

That's kind of what happens after you lose 100k + subscribers and have the whole Internet enraged at you. It honestly seems even worse that they completely changed course. They knew exactly what they were doing, they just didn't expect this kind of blowup.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Joy wrote:That's kind of what happens after you lose 100k subscribers and have the whole Internet enraged at you. It honestly seems even worse that they completely changed course. They knew exactly what they were doing, they just didn't expect this kind of blowup.
They actually lost a million subscribers.. :- if not a little more. I've been watching.

I'm kind of indifferent to what they were trying to do. I understand that everyone just wants to protect themselves and their business, but they were treading on dangerous waters with what they wanted to do. Plus, like you said, Joy.. they want to talk about people copying.. when their whole show is based on using other people's content. And not only that, but they certainly weren't the first people/channel to do "react videos" ... yet, they act like what they do is original. :roll: o.0

Anyway, I know what they tried to do was just a way for them to try and make more money and grow their company. Whether or not they were going to end up abusing what they were trying to do.. is debatable. I do think is was blown a little out of proportion, but people had very realist concerns regarding the whole scheme.

And of course they would retract everything after getting such a response. Anyone would to save face.

EDIT:
Here is an insightful video reacting to and explaining React World:
(FYI, there is mild cursing..plus the F word close to the end)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |