Listening to 1000 Albums in 2017

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Listening to 1000 Albums in 2017

Post by Steve »

I got inspired by someone's post on Reddit from earlier this year. This guy detailed how he was listening to 1000 albums in the span of the year to gain new insight into writing and producing. I thought that sounded like a rad idea, so I'm copying him. Except I'm also publicly logging every album and writing short reviews for them.

My rules for this project:

1) Must be a full album. No singles or EPs.
2) No compilations.
3) Album must be listened to in one sitting.
4) Listen, don't just hear.
5) Listen back to old favorites.
6) Try new albums.
7) Only log an album ONE time.

If you want to follow along with me, I'm logging everything in a Google Sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

And then I'm blogging/reviewing each record through Tumblr:
https://semi-newish.tumblr.com
Last edited by Steve on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him | a little stinker.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

*chokes on air* You mentioned Beautiful Eulogy. :shock:
This is an amazing idea, Steve. I'm not sure if I can fully commit though I'm definitely interested.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'm a week in right now, and so far, I'd recommend it. However, I'm definitely behind schedule, since I didn't start until last week.

I think the toughest part about this is going to be finding enough music. I'm not using Spotify for this because I'm too cheap for premium and ads in the middle of a record ruins the experience. Because of that I either have to find albums that the artist is giving away for free or find the album cheaply somewhere. Now, I have time, because according to the iTunes playlist I set up, I have 603 albums to go before I'm out, so I should have time to acquire some new stuff.

So if you have Spotify, I say jump in and try it out. Maybe only commit to 500-700 or so to start? If you're not using Spotify, start collecting. Grab anything. Grab all your CDs, download some stuff, steal your Dad's tapes... Just listen listen listen.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

You can probably find a lot of songs on YouTube.
Steve

Post by Steve »

You can, but that ruins the experience when listening to gapless albums and the like.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I bookmarked your blog because I don't want to sign up for Tumblr, but I'm checking back!
Yo
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mariogeek wrote:I bookmarked your blog because I don't want to sign up for Tumblr, but I'm checking back!
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it!

I just posted 5 new reviews from the last several days!
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Might I recommend Strahan's Out of Exile. It's a beautiful, heartwarming collection. http://www.strahanmusic.com/out-of-exile.html :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset