DGL : Rueben get your gun....gone?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

Captain Jack wrote:THANK YOU TIM!!!
:D
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Dave wrote:If CBH (makers of DGL) feel that they would be letting parents and maybe even God down by airing the rest of S7, is it really worth it? Yes, the second part of Ruben was quite good, but it's not worth airing it if they're going to lose more listeners.

Dave
Why didn't they think of that before airing it? :-k What happened to so quickly change their minds? :-s

*wonders if it's a ploy to get people who don't listen to DGL to go listen now* :-
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Chandler wrote:
Dave wrote:If CBH (makers of DGL) feel that they would be letting parents and maybe even God down by airing the rest of S7, is it really worth it? Yes, the second part of Ruben was quite good, but it's not worth airing it if they're going to lose more listeners.

Dave
Why didn't they think of that before airing it? :-k What happened to so quickly change their minds? :-s
Hindsight is 20/20.
Chandler wrote:*wonders if it's a ploy to get people who don't listen to DGL to go listen now* :-
If so it failed. I started listening for the first time with season 7, and my interest was quickly lost by everything that's happened since.

-Jonathan
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Please note that this is not actully the the season seven, only their first try. It was discontinued. :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I admire them for their decision, but it sure doesn't look good on their part..
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Yeah, I sure hope they get through this. But, they might have not survived if they had continued the season, anyway.

Dave
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I think a lot of what we said on the CBH boards had an effect. They really take to heart what we say there.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I also think that there were some very unhappy parents who also had something to say as well.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Well, I went ahead and listened so now I'm curious what mad people so mad. If I had to guess, I'd say it was connected with Caleb and his college experience... that little temptation scene would certainly make my parents' hair curl if AIO released that. :anxious:
The Timmy as "Smash" part was cute. :inlove:

I didn't see (or hear to be more precise) anything wrong with "Ruben Get Your Gun." They may have made it sound a bit scary at first but they explained it at the end. I must confess that they did make it a bit confusing though and there are some little details that I never quite understood. If parents were worried about the scary factor, then I agree with the others... do like AIO and put a warning ahead of time.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

You obviously haven't heard any other DGL episodes. If you had, you might understand a little more.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Dave wrote:You obviously haven't heard any other DGL episodes. If you had, you might understand a little more.
Well, Dave, if you can explain it to me, I'd love to know. :)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Chandler wrote:
Dave wrote:You obviously haven't heard any other DGL episodes. If you had, you might understand a little more.
Well, Dave, if you can explain it to me, I'd love to know. :)
I second that.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Hey Dave, I headed over to the DGL board to see what people were saying there. I think it's nice you're supporting them in this tough time. :) One statement of yours sounds like an echo of mine: "But I'm also kinda wondering why they didn't pick up on this when they were writing and producing the episodes. Why did they have to wait until they got heaps of negative fan comments? That's a little dissapointing."

I completely agree. I cannot believe they recorded and aired it... and then suddenly realized they were off track. Everyone involved in the production didn't have a problem with it? :o
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Someone in production (I think it was the executive producer) said they got lost in the drama of the story and lost track of what they were aiming for, or something like that. As I said before, hindsight is 20/20.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jonathan wrote:Someone in production (I think it was the executive producer) said they got lost in the drama of the story and lost track of what they were aiming for, or something like that. As I said before, hindsight is 20/20.

-Jonathan
Yeah, I read the post. ;) I may never understand it though. :shrugs:

Well, they can name one benefit, at least. I just listened to 3 times as many DGL shows as I've ever heard in the past. Who knows... I might try some more. :-$
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Chandler wrote:Well, they can name one benefit, at least. I just listened to 3 times as many DGL shows as I've ever heard in the past. Who knows... I might try some more. :-$
There's some really good DGL shows out there and while I found seasons 1 - 4 to be very dragged out and un-satisifying (as far as the overall story arc is concerned), seasons 5 - 6 had some good things going for it.

I'm pretty disappointed they shut down season 7 though. I'll admit that it's brave of them to say they made a mistake, but I also think there's something to be said about following through with what they started. In life, people make mistakes... but they can't go back and pretend those mistakes never occured. They build on their mistakes and make the best of them. I also don't think the shows were nearly as bad as they were made out to be and was a little surprised about all the controversy surrounding them. I'm just glad AIO rarely caves to criticism like that... if they had, we never would have had such great stories like the Blackgaard story arc or Novacom.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Chandler wrote:Well, they can name one benefit, at least. I just listened to 3 times as many DGL shows as I've ever heard in the past. Who knows... I might try some more. :-$
There's some really good DGL shows out there and while I found seasons 1 - 4 to be very dragged out and un-satisifying (as far as the overall story arc is concerned), seasons 5 - 6 had some good things going for it.
Thanks, I'll keep that recommendation in mind. :)
Shadowpaw wrote:I'm pretty disappointed they shut down season 7 though.
Haha, I'll confess... for someone who doesn't really know the events leading up to Season 7, I really wanted to know what happens too.
Shadowpaw wrote:I'll admit that it's brave of them to say they made a mistake, but I also think there's something to be said about following through with what they started. In life, people make mistakes... but they can't go back and pretend those mistakes never occured. They build on their mistakes and make the best of them.
I can understand them yanking the show(s) if they thought it'd affect a large part of their fan base. :-k
Shadowpaw wrote:I also don't think the shows were nearly as bad as they were made out to be and was a little surprised about all the controversy surrounding them.
As far as I'm concerned, the only problematic issue was the temptation scene. That's not something I'd want my little ones listening to either. The story itself wasn't the problem... it was just misplaced. I don't know what they were planning to do for the rest of the season but as far as the three shows I heard, I think a little editing of the first one would be enough. Since I'm not in charge, though, I guess they won't listen to me. ;)
Shadowpaw wrote:I'm just glad AIO rarely caves to criticism like that... if they had, we never would have had such great stories like the Blackgaard story arc or Novacom.
AIO never had a scene where Potiphar's wife sneaked into Joseph's room wearing his robe and lots of perfume, waiting in candlelight with harp music being played in the background either. :-$
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Chandler wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:I'm just glad AIO rarely caves to criticism like that... if they had, we never would have had such great stories like the Blackgaard story arc or Novacom.
AIO never had a scene where Potiphar's wife sneaked into Joseph's room wearing his robe and lots of perfume, waiting in candlelight with harp music being played in the background either. :-$
I suppose that scene in Bernard and Joseph doesn't count?
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Jonathan wrote:
Chandler wrote:
I suppose that scene in Bernard and Joseph doesn't count?

:hilarious: That made me laugh so hard!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

DGL is, in a way, a lot milder than AIO(yeah...I'll probably get shot for that statement). They are REALLY trying hard not to stir up any controversy. They want to keep it as "innocent" as possible, and when parents and kids started to complain they probably were afraid that they were losing that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless