Radio Theatre doing Lord of the Rings

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Durbelethwen
Lurker

Radio Theatre doing Lord of the Rings

Post by Durbelethwen »

I noticed that Radio Theatre's new Christmas collection has John Ryhs-Davies as one of the voice actors. Maybe if it is possible maybe Focus on the Family can get all of the actors from the movies (except for Sir Ian McKellean, ugh talk about an unholy alliance) to do Lord of the Rings. A good replacement for Sir Ian would be Christopher Lee, he had J.R.R. Tolkien's permission to play Gandalf when the time came. He would have played Gandalf except he considered himself too old to do all of the athletic things he would have to do as Gandalf.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

To bad RT is ending production... :(
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Eon Spitfire EK V2.exe wrote:To bad RT is ending production... :(
Says who?

BC
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Says FOTF. I first learned of it from one of my other message boards. I called FOTF and the lady I spoke to said that RT was cancelled because of money, it was too expensive. The final Father Gilbert is coming out in January and they are re releasing the Luke Reports in the spring, but there are going to be no new productions. Radio Theatre will cease airing December 31, 2005. You won't even be able to listen at OnePlace.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

We discussed it in this thread:

http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4076

Like Laurie said, Focus on the Family will continue supporting their products through book stores and new packages for existing releases, but new productions will not air and radio stations will stop airing the shows :(.
map
Found

Post by map »

That's such a bummer that they have to stop. I really enjoy listening to radio theatre. It's just another good radio to listen to. I wish they could keep airing them on Oneplace.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Durbelethwen wrote:I noticed that Radio Theatre's new Christmas collection has John Ryhs-Davies as one of the voice actors. Maybe if it is possible maybe Focus on the Family can get all of the actors from the movies (except for Sir Ian McKellean, ugh talk about an unholy alliance) to do Lord of the Rings. A good replacement for Sir Ian would be Christopher Lee, he had J.R.R. Tolkien's permission to play Gandalf when the time came. He would have played Gandalf except he considered himself too old to do all of the athletic things he would have to do as Gandalf.
NPR and the BBC have already done radio productions of LoTR.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Yes...they really should produce one, if they weren't stopping production. >_< Hmph...we, the citizens of Odyssey, should carry on their legacy, that's what I say. (Of course, we'd all have to learn voice acting/music composing/creating sound effects skills very quickly...)
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Oh, Lord of the Rings would be great! Too bad they're ending....... :(
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I don't understand. Why not simply limit the number of shows made instead of cancelling everything? Was the product not succesful?

BC
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The BC wrote:I don't understand. Why not simply limit the number of shows made instead of cancelling everything? Was the product not succesful?

BC
I don't know if the product was successful or not, as I said in my earlier posts the reason the lady gave me was money. I gather that production was the biggest expense. I can see that, most of the shows were recorded in England, so that means that they have to fly eveyone over there. The actors are always well known, if not in the U.S. then they are well known in England. I won't even begin to guess what airfare to England and hotel costs run. I was going through my RT collection last night and the only one that was not recorded in England was Anne of Green Gables. If you want to try and find out more call FOTF.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

The BC wrote:I don't understand. Why not simply limit the number of shows made instead of cancelling everything? Was the product not succesful?

BC
Also you have to take into consideration the royalty fees that some of the stories might have. Particularly that of the Chronicles of Narnia. That was pretty ambitious and I don't know what the stipulations are when anyone decides they're going to do those books because I know you have to get permission from the family before you can do anything and the copyright hasn't run out on it , so the story isn't in the public domain yet. I would gather that there are huge royalty fees associated to that. I mean when they rebroadcasted the series they still had to get permission from the family.

If Focus was going to do LoTR they would have to get permission from whomever because the copyright on that story hasn't run out. I'm not exactly sure who owns the rights to LoTR because Tolkien sold, at least, the movie rights.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

And not only would they have to get the copyright, but I believe that the Tolkien Estate would have to approve.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

If RT wasn't bankrupt before, they would be after pursuing this...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

STRYPER wrote:If RT wasn't bankrupt before, they would be after pursuing this...
That is another very good reason for RT not doing it.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Hmm. Heres another question;

So, what will the Crew do now that they're gone from Focus on the Family Radio Theatre? Will Paul McCausker and Dave Arnold return to Odyssey, perhaps? Personally, I doubt it, however, theres always a possibility that it could happen. :-k

BC
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

And Mark Drury!!!

I've actually worked on a production with Mark Drury!!

I went 2 whole days of working with him calling him "Mark" and then as we were breaking down it hit me. This guy works for FOTF, is called Mark and looks a lot like Mark Drury!!! I told him I loved AIO and all he said was "Great!!!"

Oh well, I haven't seen him since :(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Paul McCusker is still one of the Vice Presidents of Focus on the Family and doesn't really have much time for the show as it is.

Dave Arnold has been the executive producer of Adventures in Odyssey for nearly a year, so he's already pretty involved with the series and I imagine that will continue.

Mark Drury hasn't been with Focus on the Family for at least two years... so I don't expect him to return now ;).
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

:(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Shadowpaw wrote:Paul McCusker is still one of the Vice Presidents of Focus on the Family and doesn't really have much time for the show as it is.
Yes, but I imagine he still will be wanting to write Radio Dramas of a sort, either in his spare time. I mean, he was actively involved in Radio Theatre (to an extent, I suppose), and still made a least a little time for Odyssey. Now that Radio theatre will be concluding, I imagine their must be a little more time spent with Odyssey--at least on occasion, and at least much more than before.

BC