Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings!

Which is better? Have you read the books?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Mmm, both are among my favorite books for significantly different reasons... a direct comparison would be tough, so I'll remain undecided.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
LonelyNation
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by LonelyNation »

Jeremy Cartwood wrote:I admit I'm biased, yes, yes, you can all shoot me. tCoN is way better! Now, I don't deny that Tolkien's writing style is superb (although he can sometimes get carried away with the descriptions just a leetle bit...), that's not what I have a problem with. They are just so dark! Why put yourself through that much darkness, especially with the movie? Narnia has always had a bright and alive feel, and the movie is definitely going to prove that. It's only dark when it needs to be. The other thing is, J.R.R. Tolkien said himself that LoTR is NOT an allegory. There may be a lot of things that you can pull from it, but the same is true with the Matrix, Star Wars, Spiderman, Harry Potter, whatever. Besides, it's really a story about a person saving the world by his own power. Where does God come in? Where can you pull God from it? tCoN has some powerful analogies, some of them quite simple and some very complicated that you get after you pick it up off the shelf and read it years after finishing them.

Gah! I've been shot! *Reels*
Actually tCoN isn't supposed to be an allegory either (at least according to Lewis) He said that Aslan wasn't supposed to be Jesus, but was supposed to be seen as if God was saving a totally different world and who/what he would send to save that particular world.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

LonelyNation wrote: Actually tCoN isn't supposed to be an allegory either (at least according to Lewis) He said that Aslan wasn't supposed to be Jesus, but was supposed to be seen as if God was saving a totally different world and who/what he would send to save that particular world.
Actually I'm pretty sure he intended it to be an allegory. It was Tolkien who said his works had nothing to do with the bible or his faith. The whole reason C.S. Lewis wrote Narnia was that he wanted to speak christian doctrines to children so he took a picture of a faun with an umbrella and turned it into what it is today
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Both LotR and CoN have Christian analogies. LotR's are less obvious, while CoN seems more of an allegory. Both Tolkein and C.S. Lewis denied their stories to be allegories, yet both discussed Christain parallels in their books.
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

Barely Is wrote:Well, I love CON, and The Horse and His Boy I could read over and over, but I love LOTR even more. They are so my favorite. 'Course, I may change my mind after I see the movie, I can't stand the old CON movies. :(

I think part of it is that while reading I don't feel that I have to find all the Christian symbolismin it, like I do while reading CON. Because they're so strongly allegory's, I keep thinking, "Now, who is this character?" Ooooooh, that absolutely ruins the entire reading of the story!
It sure doesn't ruin it for me! I find it much more interesting that way, it adds a new way of reading books for me. What my dad said after reading the LoTR trilogy was, "I came into them expecting to find a great Christian allegory and came out not satisfied at all. That ruined the read." I agree with you though, and my brothers do too, that I can't stand the old Narnia movies! And I'm anticipating the new movie to be one of my favorites.

Say, did you hear that Walden Media is going to make at least two more Narnia movies, possibly the whole series? Sounds great to me.

-JC

SUPER JEREMYCARTWOOD!!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I really like both. I read them both at a young age, so they had an impact on me. Well... I mean... I was 10 when I read LOTR (not that young, I guess...) and younger when I read narnia. So, it all comes down to my mood. ^_^

Sarah
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Jeremy Cartwood wrote:
It sure doesn't ruin it for me! I find it much more interesting that way, it adds a new way of reading books for me. What my dad said after reading the LoTR trilogy was, "I came into them expecting to find a great Christian allegory and came out not satisfied at all. That ruined the read." I agree with you though, and my brothers do too, that I can't stand the old Narnia movies! And I'm anticipating the new movie to be one of my favorites.

Say, did you hear that Walden Media is going to make at least two more Narnia movies, possibly the whole series? Sounds great to me.

-JC
Well, when I'm speciafically lookign for the allegories, it's fine, but it breaks my concentration otherwise. (I get off task like...um...REALLY easily! :D )

Ooo, more Narnia! yay! *eagarly anticipates the movie*
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

Narnia!!!!!!!!!!
oh yeah

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

I think both series are priceless.
Agent Robert Mitchell
Smile for the camera

Post by Agent Robert Mitchell »

I'd have to go with Narnia. I know that I am biased since as a child they were almost all I read. Other than the bias, the reason I would say the Chronicles of Narnia because of how much more of an allegory they are from the LoTR. Although both said that they didn't want it to be an allegory...the books eventually ended up containing allegorical scenes and such. In TCoN, the parallels are easier to see than in the LoTRs. Anywho, they’re both great books that are excellent classics.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
--C. S. Lewis

I have to, unfortunately. -_-
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

danadelfos wrote:I like both but it depends. C.S. Lewis was a great writer but i think he meant to write for a younger audience than J.R.R. Tolkien. J.R.R Tolkien's book was written for older children and parents. But he is sure a great writer. HIs book, the HObbit wasn't as well written as his trilogy but he improved a lot. I shouldn't be criticizing him because i'm not the greatest myself.
I don't agree that J.R.R. Tolkien's books were aimed for older children and adults- I read them when I was very little(about 8 or so), and read the Hobbit when I was even younger.

Despite this, I have read the Chronicles of Narnia, a thousand times- I don't really remember when I read them, but I was probably younger than 8, as I didn't know about Lord of the Rings when I was younger, but I had known abuot Chronicles of Narnia all my life(And I absolutely LOVED it!)

For me, I'm not quite sure which is my favorite, but I love how Chronicles of Narnia is so allegorical, and I think I might like it more than Tolkien's books.
I don't really think those two can be compared, really. (And I seriously don't think people shoudl compare HP and LotR. HP reading seems to be for 9-year-olds. #-o )
Last edited by Lucy Pevensie on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

The hobbit was actully a childrens book when it was published, although I think LOTR was aimed for an older audience.
...I hate marquees.
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

this is an extremely hard question to answer. they are both good series and i cannot pick a favorite between the two.
Pray for Sri Lanka.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I like Lotr a tiny bit better, but Narnia is great too!
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I have to go with "The Chronicles of Narnia"! =D> :D
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

i personally liked the movies of lord of the rings better, and the books for the chronicles of narnia better. i've seen and read both, of course, and we own all but the new narnia movie, because obviously it just came out. :D

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

same here
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

I have read both series' at a young age, so I have a hard time deciding.

But I have to say TCoN is my favorite. Because you become so connected to the characters and the country. By the last book you're sad to see it all end.

Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece in its own category! So it loses by a tiny margin!
Evangeline Doyle
I've been here a bit

Post by Evangeline Doyle »

I love the LotR movies, but it's hard for me to get into the books. :-k But with the Chronicles of Narnia, I love both the movie and the books!
God Bless America!
~Evangeline
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

LOTR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Narnia