Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings!

Which is better? Have you read the books?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings!

Post by Danadelfos »

I like both but it depends. C.S. Lewis was a great writer but i think he meant to write for a younger audience than J.R.R. Tolkien. J.R.R Tolkien's book was written for older children and parents. But he is sure a great writer. HIs book, the HObbit wasn't as well written as his trilogy but he improved a lot. I shouldn't be criticizing him because i'm not the greatest myself.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I've gotten shot before and probably will again, but I don't like Lord of the Rings.

However, I've always loved the Narnia books.

Easy choice for me.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

It depends on the type of mood I'm in. If I want a really long read then I'll read LoTR, but If I'm looking for reading that's light I'll read the chronicles of Narnia.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

When it comes to the books I think TCoN are the best. But maybe I'm biased 'cause I read them when I was a lot younger and they had a bigger impact on me.
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

As a whole, I prefer LoTR, but both are great. I think that The Horse and His Boy perhaps weakens the CoN series. Personally I feel the allegory is too forced in that book. That is also the case at some points in, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, as well.

-jolly
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I really can't decide. I like both.
...I hate marquees.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

LOTR is better, but it is also longer. That matters.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I can't decide. It's hard to compare them.

I do know though, that when C.S. Lewis finished his books and gave them to his friend to read, Tolkien didn't like them very and said that they needed a lot more work.

Of course, the fact that his trilogy took a lot longer than CoN may have had something to with it...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I have ALWAYS liked Narnia better by far, but I really do like LOTR.

That should tell you how much I love Narnia!!!
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

jollyholiday wrote:As a whole, I prefer LoTR, but both are great. I think that The Horse and His Boy perhaps weakens the CoN series. Personally I feel the allegory is too forced in that book. That is also the case at some points in, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, as well.

-jolly
Those two were my favorite, along with The Silver Chair. :)
Mandy Straussberg wrote:I've gotten shot before and probably will again, but I don't like Lord of the Rings.
*Shoots MS*

I really like them both, LoTR is more 'epic', and TCoN are more 'fun loving' if you know what I mean. PUDDLE GLUM LIVE FOREVER!
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Captain Jack wrote: PUDDLE GLUM LIVE FOREVER!
YES! I love Puddleglum! I'm doing a speech this year just so I can do Puddleglum.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
LonelyNation
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by LonelyNation »

Wow. That's hard.
I love the Lord of the Rings because...well...It's Lord of the Rings. The fighting, the passion, the honor, the frienships, the beauty, I could go on forever about it.

But I also love Narnia because, 1-I had it read to me as a little child, so I'm very much attached to the story, 2-It brings forth so many feelings in me, amazing and glorious feelings of intense wonder at the world. When I read Narnia I feel as if I really am in narnia.

I think, although its a hard choice, I'd have to go with The Chronicles of Narnia. I'll always love them as much as I did when I was five. :-)
--Grace
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Did I hear Lord of the Rings mentioned!?!?! :x

Boo! Get it out! Burn every copy! :x
Shadowpaw
Town Founder
It’s my birthday

Post by Shadowpaw »

I was thinking about this earlier today actually... though I also threw Harry Potter into the mix. And I decided, at least for me:

Harry Potter > Lord of the Rings > Chronicles of Narnia

I think they are all good in their own right, but Lord of the Rings lacks the plot twists and mystery that Harry Potter has, and the Chronicles of Narnia seem somewhat childish because (oddly enough) I read them as a child and still associate them with my childhood ;). However, as far as the movies are concerned, I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies to the Harry Potter films and am very much looking forward to the Narnia film!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Santapaw wrote:I was thinking about this earlier today actually... though I also threw Harry Potter into the mix. And I decided, at least for me:

Harry Potter > Lord of the Rings > Chronicles of Narnia

I think they are all good in their own right, but Lord of the Rings lacks the plot twists and mystery that Harry Potter has, and the Chronicles of Narnia seem somewhat childish because (oddly enough) I read them as a child and still associate them with my childhood ;). However, as far as the movies are concerned, I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies to the Harry Potter films and am very much looking forward to the Narnia film!
Now why in the world is my little comparison chart completely backwards from yours Shadowpaw? Sheesh dez Canadians! ;)
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I would say that LotR is better. I have personally never been a big fan of C. S. Lewis. I am, however, looking forward to seeing the Narnia movie when it comes out.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

I admit I'm biased, yes, yes, you can all shoot me. tCoN is way better! Now, I don't deny that Tolkien's writing style is superb (although he can sometimes get carried away with the descriptions just a leetle bit...), that's not what I have a problem with. They are just so dark! Why put yourself through that much darkness, especially with the movie? Narnia has always had a bright and alive feel, and the movie is definitely going to prove that. It's only dark when it needs to be. The other thing is, J.R.R. Tolkien said himself that LoTR is NOT an allegory. There may be a lot of things that you can pull from it, but the same is true with the Matrix, Star Wars, Spiderman, Harry Potter, whatever. Besides, it's really a story about a person saving the world by his own power. Where does God come in? Where can you pull God from it? tCoN has some powerful analogies, some of them quite simple and some very complicated that you get after you pick it up off the shelf and read it years after finishing them.

Gah! I've been shot! *Reels*

SUPER JEREMYCARTWOOD!!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Hey, I'm with you too

LOTR is really awesome and I love it a lot but it will never be as good as Narnia.

Now about Potter... hmmm. I'll have to make my official decision after I read/watch all the books
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Narnia has always been great, but now that I'm old enough to understand the complexities and mirror truths in the Lord of the Rings I think I like it better. It's just meatier, and it takes you longer to read so you get to enjoy it more.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Well, I love CON, and The Horse and His Boy I could read over and over, but I love LOTR even more. They are so my favorite. 'Course, I may change my mind after I see the movie, I can't stand the old CON movies. :(

I think part of it is that while reading I don't feel that I have to find all the Christian symbolismin it, like I do while reading CON. Because they're so strongly allegory's, I keep thinking, "Now, who is this character?" Ooooooh, that absolutely ruins the entire reading of the story!