Father Gilbert

Dead Air and others.

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Father Gilbert

Post by Shad Lexer »

I'm listening to Dead Air right now, what did you think? Have you listened?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Father Gilbert. Excellent 'series', if that's what you'd call it. I'm definitely into the mystery genre, which would also explain my fascination for Ted Dekker's works. Although I haven't heard any Father Gilbert mysteries as of late, I have listened to the following previously:

Healing

In this episode, "Unexplainable phenomena are coming out of a new ministry at St. Anselm’s church. But after moving into the cult’s country manor to investigate, Father Gilbert suddenly finds himself not so much a house guest as a captive audience. Witnessing what appears to be a number of bona fide miracles, Gilbert has to wonder how they’re being done--and by whom. His investigation takes him further into the troubled lives of the cult members. Some may be truly gifted, others may be counterfeits. But finding the truth requires a dangerous confrontation that could take more than one life." Wow. I found this particularly poignant episode rather intriguing.

Secrets

"A train crash. The strange kidnapping of Bill Drake, Father Gilbert’s best friend. Two unrelated events--but are they? The clues are scattered far and wide, over space and time, and putting them together seems impossible. The newly-captured kidnapper certainly isn’t going to admit to anything. And Bill Drake’s heart condition is like a ticking bomb--forcing Father Gilbert to choose between his ruthless instincts as a former detective and his calling as a compassionate priest. Time is running out." I don't remember much about this episode, only that it was like all other mysteries. Captivating.

The Play's The Thing

"In The Play’s The Thing, it’s time for the 500th anniversary of the Stonebridge Faire – an event with a long history of mayhem and a legendary “curse.” As part of the festivities, the Elsinore Players come to perform their new Shakespearean thriller. But “accidents” of a suspicious nature begin to happen. Is it a saboteur, or is something more sinister taking place?" I found this mystery particularly intriguing. Interesting twist at the end, too. :-s

I've listened to other mysteries, but I can't remember which ones at the moment. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I've heard all of them. I just finished for the first time Dead Air on monday and those who want to hear it can still find it on Oneplace. I love them. There funny there intresting have good morals and often teach about hard things. Heres the summary for the rest.

A Soul in Torment.

He's heard lots of confessions in his life—-both as a detective and now as an Anglican priest. But why would a young man come to Father Gilbert, confess a murder, then disappear? When the local authorities turn up nothing suspicious, the vicar wonders if he dreamed up this person, this man who he felt was A Soul in Torment.

Where the Heart Is

The second mystery, entitled Where the Heart Is, centers around a 16th century artifact covered with gems and reputed to have miraculous powers. Supposedly it's hidden in the church Father Gilbert shepherds, and he suspects the American "antiques dealer" when there's a break-in...

Dead Air Warnig this Eps is the by far the scaryiest of them all. Well Gray Lady can be quite scary also.

In Dead Air, Father Gilbert is thrown into a case uncannily similar to the very case that had caused him to turn in his detective's badge years before. It had led to the suicide of a young girl. Or was it murder, as Gilbert had always suspected? Now a taunting voice mocks him via telephone, telling him that he will fail again and another girl will die.

The Grey Lady
Something strange is happening at the Woodburton Army Base. Two identical murders occur in only a couple of days, and the suspects swear that a ghost committed them. Father Gilbert is brought in to investigate the mystery of The Grey Lady, bringing him face-to-face with a dangerous conspiracy.

I am wondering what your favorite is. It's a hard pick but Where the Heart is I am always been drawn to. But there all very good so I don't really have a favorite.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

So far I've heard Dead Air and The Play's the Thing in their entireties and parts of a couple others. I really hope to hear the rest of them because I love mysteries, English accents, and the Christian worldview. :)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:So far I've heard Dead Air and The Play's the Thing in their entireties and parts of a couple others. I really hope to hear the rest of them because I love mysteries, English accents, and the Christian worldview. :)
You and me both. I wish a could imitate the English pronounciation. :D I have their accent in my head, it just won't go from my brain to my mouth. ](*,)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

I love Father Gilbert! Maybe more then Odyssey. 8-[ Doesn't Gibert sound good looking? Anyways, the Father Gilbert's always have me on the edge of my seat.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Father Gilbert is great. I have listened to all of them except the newest one. I hope there are more.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Father Gilbert. Excellent 'series', if that's what you'd call it. I'm definitely into the mystery genre, which would also explain my fascination for Ted Dekker's works. Although I haven't heard any Father Gilbert mysteries as of late, I have listened to the following previously:

Healing

In this episode, "Unexplainable phenomena are coming out of a new ministry at St. Anselm’s church. But after moving into the cult’s country manor to investigate, Father Gilbert suddenly finds himself not so much a house guest as a captive audience. Witnessing what appears to be a number of bona fide miracles, Gilbert has to wonder how they’re being done--and by whom. His investigation takes him further into the troubled lives of the cult members. Some may be truly gifted, others may be counterfeits. But finding the truth requires a dangerous confrontation that could take more than one life." Wow. I found this particularly poignant episode rather intriguing.

Secrets

"A train crash. The strange kidnapping of Bill Drake, Father Gilbert’s best friend. Two unrelated events--but are they? The clues are scattered far and wide, over space and time, and putting them together seems impossible. The newly-captured kidnapper certainly isn’t going to admit to anything. And Bill Drake’s heart condition is like a ticking bomb--forcing Father Gilbert to choose between his ruthless instincts as a former detective and his calling as a compassionate priest. Time is running out." I don't remember much about this episode, only that it was like all other mysteries. Captivating.

The Play's The Thing

"In The Play’s The Thing, it’s time for the 500th anniversary of the Stonebridge Faire – an event with a long history of mayhem and a legendary “curse.” As part of the festivities, the Elsinore Players come to perform their new Shakespearean thriller. But “accidents” of a suspicious nature begin to happen. Is it a saboteur, or is something more sinister taking place?" I found this mystery particularly intriguing. Interesting twist at the end, too. :-s

I've listened to other mysteries, but I can't remember which ones at the moment. :-k
I own Healing/Secrets. They are both very good. I personally like Secrets better. Many reasons why. But as you said above there is a train crash, a death.....(and I'm not going to ruin it any farther for those who have not heard it!). Healing was very good, but it wasn't near as much a mystery.

I listened to all Dead Air episodes too. The first 2 were VERY good, but 3 was weird (but it was STILL very good!). My sister had to explain the ending to me.

I love mysteries, Nancy Drew, Father Gilbert, and Adventures In Odyssey mystery episodes. But I have never heard of Ted Dekker (But, maybe thats because besides ND, I do not read mystery books.).
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I own all the Father Gilberts and love them all. I don't know which one is my favorite, but I guess I would go with "The Play's the Thing".

I think the main problem with Father Gilbert though (for me anyway) is that it lacks replay value since it's all about the mystery. I try to listen to the shows once every year or so, because I've forgotten most of the twists and so it feels somewhat fresh.

However, the Father Gilberts are still my favorite aspect of Radio Theatre and I wish RT would develop more original properties.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Will they ever produce more Father Gilbert shows or have they run their course?
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Chandler wrote:Will they ever produce more Father Gilbert shows or have they run their course?
There are at least two more scheduled to come out, but beyond that I do not know.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Do you know what there about? I agree with you on them losing reply value but I still like to listen to them hear and there. I can't wait for the new ones.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have all of them on either tape or CD, and I find them very enjoyable. The Play's the Thing is great, but I think that Where the Heart Is is still my favourite. It's funnier than some, but still has so much more to it.

I agree that Father Gilbert has less replay value than something like AIO, but they're still really enjoyable, and I do relisten to them, even though I might not listen to the same one three nights in a row, like I sometimes do with AIO. \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Chandler wrote:Will they ever produce more Father Gilbert shows or have they run their course?
There are at least two more scheduled to come out, but beyond that I do not know.
That's good. :) Any idea when?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:I agree that Father Gilbert has less replay value than something like AIO, but they're still really enjoyable, and I do relisten to them, even though I might not listen to the same one three nights in a row, like I sometimes do with AIO. \:D/
:: concurs ::

I haven't listened to Father Gilbert in about a year, probably. :-$ I could listen to them right now and not remember the final twist(s) at the end . . . though I'd most likely remember bits and pieces of the episodes as it unfolded. If you cycle between mysteries and listen to one maybe once a month, you'd probably get good replay value out of them there. Of course, if you've listened to any particular episode three or more times, you're probably going to start memorizing the lines. Like we do with AIO. :D

I checked online for any news of the two new Father Gilbert mysteries, but I wasn't able to find anything. ](*,)
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I'm afraid I don't know what the next Father Gilbert's are about, nor do I know when they are supposed to come out. I only know that "Father Gilbert IV" has been recorded and has probably finished post production. I assume the album will contain two stories (like the previous two have) but I could be wrong.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've always enjoyed rereading and relistening to mysteries even if I remember the plotlines. Sure there's the fun of hearing/reading for the first time without knowing the answer but I enjoy the genre a lot so I don't mind reading/hearing it again.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

The titles and short descriptions of the two shows on FG4 were released months ago...if someone cared enough, I could go and get the information again.

Dave
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm interested, and I'm sure Chandler is, also. :) Please, do share!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Dave wrote:The titles and short descriptions of the two shows on FG4 were released months ago...if someone cared enough, I could go and get the information again.

Dave
I am interested! More Father Gilberts (I haven't even listened to them all yet!).