Card Games

We know you play them

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I also enjoy Phase 10 and rook.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Jman 009 wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to rig some kind of poker game to thise MB? :-k That would be so cool! We could play poker with each other! \:D/
That would be so cool!!!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

poWerbOy wrote:YES!!!! DUTCH BLITZ!!! none of my friends have ever heard of it before....it is my favorite game.... my friends play a similar regular card version called "nerts". but i like dutch blitz better.....
has anyone ever heard of Apples to apples? it is such a silly card game, it's really random and requires no skill whatsoever, but i think it's kinda fun anyway...
I've heard much about Dutch Blitz and Apples to Apples but I haven't gotten the chance to play either of them. :(
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I just played Dutch Blitz last night with DW and my sister...this thread reminded me of it! It was fun!

One time we played with some people from church - we used two sets of cards (didn't keep score, tho) and some people were on teams. It was so fast and nerve-racking! :mad: It was hard to keep up with all the piles, but it was probably the best time I'd played!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I didn't know we were including stuff like Phase 10, but since we are, I'll add that and Apples to Apples to the list.

-Jonathan
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Anyone ever played HiJack or Scum? Those are my new favorites!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

My family likes Pinochle (special deck), Dutch Blitz (or Nerts), Continental (that game makes people angry), and hearts. Pretty much. The standard youth group card game is either Nerts (Dutch Blitz) or Egyptian (war... rat slap... whatever).

Apples to Apples isn't really a card game... but I'll go with that, since we have it. And, if we're counting Apples to Apples, I may as well count Snorta! and Sleuth in the mix.

But I'll play anything.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

I love card games, I play poker (with toothpicks or fruit loops), SET, UNO, but I absolutely adore 5 Crowns. I don't know why. War, SlapJack, etc...are all fine, but 5 Crowns will always be my favorite.

-Trill
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:Dutch Blitz
YAY! No one I know of even knows what that game is! It's my sister and my mission to tell all our friends how to play. I love that game imensily!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Dutch Blitz is a regular in our house.

A few other card games we enjoy are:

Set
Kings in the Corner
Rook
Cribbage
Up and Down the River
Canasta
Split
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Jennifer Doyle wrote:YAY! No one I know of even knows what that game is! It's my sister and my mission to tell all our friends how to play. I love that game imensily!
We don't really do that one so much anymore... but we play Nerts all the time. It works better with large groups (I've played with more than eight people at a time). And after I accidentally left my Dutch Blitz cards out in the rain, it was nice to play with real decks.

Mandy
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love Dutch Blitz! \:D/ Some friends introduced it to me a few years ago, and it's lots of fun! I've never played with a regular deck, though, Mandy. :-k I'm sure that could work out to be fun, too! I'm not really good, though, because I'm not fast enough. I don't play often enough, so my friends usually beat me. :(
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Any Pinochle players out there? We're just learning to play at our house, but are enjoying it.

If there are any out there that have played, I have a question...What is a typical bid when playing teams?

-jolly
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I don't play a lot, but I like spoons, even though the cards are only half of the game (we played with my teen ministry last night/this morning, and since I was asked to get the spoons I decided to get the medal ones :badgrin:).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

jollyholiday wrote:Any Pinochle players out there? We're just learning to play at our house, but are enjoying it.

If there are any out there that have played, I have a question...What is a typical bid when playing teams?

-jolly
I stated in my post that my family plays pinochle. We used to play it every holiday.

I don't quite understand the question... for one, it depends on whether you're playing with one deck or two. We always played with one, in which case opening bid is 25 and on average I think the bids were 29 or 30 (somewhere in there). The highest I remember was 32 one time.

Mandy
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:
jollyholiday wrote:Any Pinochle players out there? We're just learning to play at our house, but are enjoying it.

-jolly
I stated in my post that my family plays pinochle. We used to play it every holiday.

I don't quite understand the question... for one, it depends on whether you're playing with one deck or two. We always played with one, in which case opening bid is 25 and on average I think the bids were 29 or 30 (somewhere in there). The highest I remember was 32 one time.

Mandy
The rules that I've run across from Hoyle, Bicycle and usplayingcard.com seem to indicate that minimum bid for single deck 4 player auction Pinochle is 100 (which seems way too low to me) or 250. For 6-8 players using 2 full Pinochle decks 200 or 500. When playing traditional double deck Pinochle, 2 decks are used minus all of the 9s and minimum bid is 500.

I've read also that some people, when playing divide the traditional scoring by 10 for simpler scoring, which is what I'm guessing your family must do with bidding between 25 and 32.

I guess what I meant is that in other bidding games there tend to be levels at which the bidding ususally averages out when you've played a lot. When you start a new bidding game, it is sometimes hard to tell early on what kinds of bids are way too high to be reasonable, yet others are way too low to even be sporting. I guess on the low end, that is where a good set of rules can keep the bids from being too low.

-jolly
Tinuviel
Found
Location: Here or there- but isn't here just there without the t??

Post by Tinuviel »

-jolly
We play Pinochle a lot (with just one pinochle deck). The usual bid is 37-40. (My family like to bid)
We also play Rook \:D/, Canasta, Speed, Uno, & Cribbage
Only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ twill last;
And when I am dying how happy I'll be, if the lamp of my life has been burnt out for Thee!
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

I love hearts and Euchre.

Anybody else play Euchre?
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Tinuviel wrote:
We play Pinochle a lot (with just one pinochle deck). The usual bid is 37-40. (My family like to bid)
We also play Rook \:D/, Canasta, Speed, Uno, & Cribbage
We just learned speed this summer and have had fun playing it.

-jolly
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

poWerbOy wrote:YES!!!! DUTCH BLITZ!!! none of my friends have ever heard of it before....it is my favorite game.... my friends play a similar regular card version called "nerts". but i like dutch blitz better.....
I haven't played Dutch Blitz, but I have played Nerts. I have heard Nerts compared to a "Dumbed down version of Dutch Blitz." But I have never played Dutch Blitz, so I wouldn't know.

Other card games I play are UNO, War, Go Fish, BS, Poker (I don't play for money), Egyptian Ratsrew (Also called Bloody Palms), Spoons, Speed, Hearts, and I am sure that there are others, but you get the idea.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny