Classical Music

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Wooton

Classical Music

Post by Wooton »

In this thread, we can all talk about everything and anything that involves classical music! \:D/

:-$ A sample of one of the many classical songs I like : Ponchielli: Dance Of The Hours
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Traditionally, classical music has been split into four different time periods:

Baroque
Classical
Romantic
Modern

Coincidentally, my preference falls exactly in that order. Thumbs up: Telemann, Purcell, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi. Thumbs down: Stravinsky, Copeland, Glass.

Composers like Mozart and Beethoven, who most people think of when speaking of classical music, are about even for me. I listen to it a lot, but I'm not a diehard fan of the Classical and Romantic eras.

Baroque on the other hand... \:D/ \:D/
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I've heard that it aids the digestion... :-k
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

[gasps] What? Dr. Watson, you gave Aaron Copland a thumbs down? How can you do something like that? Don't you love the Babe Song? And the one that I always get stuck in my head but don't know the name to?

I like Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Bach, Handel, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, and Copland, of course.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I'm personally not all to thrilled with classical music, although I do enjoy some selections every once in a while.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

When your mother and father play NPR 24/7 when you're little, and when you watch a lot of people playing classical music on PBS, and when you do a lot of ballet, it really grows on you.

When I was three, I heard one of The Four Seasons on the radio and starting yelling, "It's 'Valdi, Daddy! Listen! It's 'Valdi!" And even before that, my dad and his brother (my uncle) were listening to some song on the radio, and I was adamant that it was 'Taco Bell's Candace". My dad was kind of rolling his eyes and trying to convince me that it wasn't Pachelbel's Canon in D, but was some modern song, when the DJ came on and said, "That was [whoever] with [their song], based on Pachelbel's Canon in D."

I think that's when my parents decided I was destined to play Classical music :-D
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Rachael wrote:When I was three, I heard one of The Four Seasons on the radio and starting yelling, "It's 'Valdi, Daddy! Listen! It's 'Valdi!" And even before that, my dad and his brother (my uncle) were listening to some song on the radio, and I was adamant that it was 'Taco Bell's Candace". My dad was kind of rolling his eyes and trying to convince me that it wasn't Pachelbel's Canon in D, but was some modern song, when the DJ came on and said, "That was [whoever] with [their song], based on Pachelbel's Canon in D."

I think that's when my parents decided I was destined to play Classical music :-D
That's pretty funny, Rachael! And impressive that you would know so much about classical music at such a young age. I like classical pretty well, like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, the faster movement. Most people who aren't into classical might have only heard the first part (reeeeally slow and quiet), but the fast part is a lot cooler (IMO) than the slow part.
I had a piano teacher once who told me about her son's piano recital in college. He was playing the Moonlight Sonata, and when he got to the really quick movement guess what happened! The piano (which was on rollers to make it easier to move) started rolling away from him! But he didn't stop playing. He stood up and chased the piano around while he finished the music! Afterwards, someone (I think it was his instructor) told him that was the fastest they had ever heard the piece played! :lol: \:D/ :boohoo:
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

LOL, that's hilarious! I guess the moral of that story is to never play a piano on rollers...
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

The only Classical song that Ive taken a liking for is part of Jupiter...by..somebody. I dont pay attention details..
oboistfrk
Just visiting

Post by oboistfrk »

Pianokitty, the piece you are speaking of is probably Mozart's Jupiter Symphony. The Symphony no. 41 is known as the Jupiter Symphony, a title not granted it by its creator. Rather, the title seems to have originated, ironically enough, in London, thanks to the impresario Johann Peter Salomon, who would later bring Haydn to England. The nickname seems to have been inspired by a sense of Olympian grandeur in this, Mozart's largest and most complex symphony. It is a long step beyond the angelic grace usually associated with Mozart's name. Here, he calls upon a more robust spirit, hinting at the grand Romantic symphonies that would come with Beethoven. The symphony is Jupiter-like in another way, too, for it is frequently jovial, as if the Greek god himself were laughing heartily in the celebratory key of C major. Mozart's Forty-first Symphony proved inspirational to many composers, especially Haydn, who modeled his 95th and 98th symphonies on the Jupiter. Yet the most succinct reflection on the work's importance is found in the critiques of Robert Schumann, who in 1835 wrote "about many things in this world there is simply nothing to be said --- for example, about Mozart's C-major symphony with the fugue, much of Shakespeare, and some of Beethoven." It is perhaps significant that Schumann does not merely equate the Jupiter with Shakespeare and Beethoven. Rather, he places this piece above many of those master's efforts.

Hope this helps!

-alex
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

Great! I see some of you also appreciate classical music! Let's also post some of our favorite classical music! \:D/ I'm posting 30-second samples :-

Brahms: Hungarian Dance No.5
Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite - In The Hall Of The Mountain King
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Woot for Classical!

I like Handel, Mozart, Vivaldi, and Beethovan. My favorite is Handel... :-D

Then Beethovan... then Mozart...then Vivaldi.

Lol, Rachael..that's really funny. :D
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Handel, yes. :D Hallelujah Chorus O:) :angelfly: :worship: :pray:
Did any of you ever hear whether it's true that Handel was blind when he composed Hallelujah, but that he said he thought he had seen all heaven--and Jesus? That would be so cool if it's true!!!!
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I was just at a church singing the messiah. It was fun..
...I hate marquees.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I have the whole 'Messiah' on my computer... ooh it's so AWESOME!!

That must be fun, being able to sing it.

I have a Spanish service to go to soon, so we're not going to be singing it there... ;-)
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Kris Doyle wrote:Handel, yes. :D Hallelujah Chorus O:) :angelfly: :worship: :pray:
An offtopic note here (pun intended), but that song is quite fun to play^_^
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Kris Doyle wrote: I had a piano teacher once who told me about her son's piano recital in college. He was playing the Moonlight Sonata, and when he got to the really quick movement guess what happened! The piano (which was on rollers to make it easier to move) started rolling away from him! But he didn't stop playing. He stood up and chased the piano around while he finished the music! Afterwards, someone (I think it was his instructor) told him that was the fastest they had ever heard the piece played! :lol: \:D/ :boohoo:
:lol: The third movement of "Moonlight Sonata" is my favorite too. :inlove:

I like some classical music. Like Dr. Watson, I tend to like baroque especially some works by Bach and Handel, but I also like plenty of classical stuff like some Mozart and Beethoven and a little romantic like some Chopin.
"The Messiah" is a great one to listen to! I heard it earlier today! :lol:
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I like Classical, but I can't really name any songs that I like.

STRYPER wrote:I've heard that it aids the digestion... :-k

Isn't that from an AIO ep.?

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:I like Classical, but I can't really name any songs that I like.

STRYPER wrote:I've heard that it aids the digestion... :-k

Isn't that from an AIO ep.?

-Cowboy
How about "Family Values"? ;)
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

Anyone gonna post classical music? :anxious: