Classical Music

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Here's a great 2-CD set with music composed by Johann David Heinichen.

It is one of my most favorite albums I own.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I like Fielder and Copland the best. I'm also a fan of Handel's messiah.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I'll post the sheet music if you want ;-)
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Speaking of sheet music, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the whole "Moonlight Sonata" the way Beethoven wrote it?
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Kanimoto
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Kanimoto »

Not sure...

I like Copeland (!!!), Tchaikowsky (!!), Grieg, some Wagner and Bach and Beethoven, and many other composers who wrote soundtrack music, like Hans Zimmer and Howard Shore. I generally dislike composers from the Baroque Period, as their music seems too predictable. I also don't like Telemann...because he wrote the piece I have to play for auditions... >_<
In the darkness, the Lurker frantically tries to figure out what is going on.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

How could I forget Howard Shore?! I love his work in Lord of the Rings.
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

What are everybody's thoughts on the Transiberean Orchestra? I haven't heard much of their work, but they play at least some classical music--with a combination of orchestra and rock instruments! Anybody else heard 'em?
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Rachael wrote:How could I forget Howard Shore?! I love his work in Lord of the Rings.
Never EVER forget Howard Shore! I am dying to listen to all three soundtracks.

(Although I'm hysterical and in a flurry of emotion over the fact I'm seeing Narnia on Monday... the soundtracks get mixed up in my head... I have all the notes mixed up!! #-o )
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Kris Doyle wrote:What are everybody's thoughts on the Transiberean Orchestra? I haven't heard much of their work, but they play at least some classical music--with a combination of orchestra and rock instruments! Anybody else heard 'em?
My thoughts are that they rock and it wouldn't be Christmas without them :D

\:D/
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

STRYPER wrote:
Kris Doyle wrote:What are everybody's thoughts on the Transiberean Orchestra? I haven't heard much of their work, but they play at least some classical music--with a combination of orchestra and rock instruments! Anybody else heard 'em?
My thoughts are that they rock and it wouldn't be Christmas without them :D

\:D/
Did anyone see their music DVD called The Ghosts of Christmas Eve? I just saw it the other day, and it was great! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

Jonathan wrote:
Kris Doyle wrote:Handel, yes. :D Hallelujah Chorus O:) :angelfly: :worship: :pray:
An offtopic note here (pun intended), but that song is quite fun to play^_^
You really think so? I had to learn this song for the first time to play in church this Christmas, and I didn't really like playing the piece that well, though I love the sound of it. Of course, the problem was probably more that because of finals and the such, I was forced to wait to try and learn the piece until the night before... Believe me, I got sick of hearing that song after the first couple hours of practice... :P
Kris Doyle wrote:Did anyone see their music DVD called The Ghosts of Christmas Eve? I just saw it the other day, and it was great! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
I have. They do indeed rock, and that DVD was an example of that. :)

My 2nd favorite CD by them (right after Christmas Eve and Other Stories which just can't be beat ;) ) is Beethoven's Last Night, an album of theirs that doesn't get nearly as much attention as the Christmas work. It's packed with very dramatic renditions of classical favorites. When I saw them in concert and they performed their version of Beethoven's 5th from this album, the pyrotechnics were so intense that I had to physically cover my eyes to keep them from burning.
Not dead yet.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Handel can be both annoying and fun to play. I accompanied the choir on one of his pieces (I forget which one…I think it went “How lovely is Thy dwelling place” or something like that.) Sometimes I simply hated practicing it, with all of the movement and octaves. But it sounded pretty good when combined with the choir, and I enjoyed it once I'd gotten good at it.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Btw, all this talk about Handel (between talking about Trans-Siberian, which I egregiously misspeled earlier #-o ) reminds me of Bach, since they lived at the same time. Didn't Bach dedicate all his music "to the glory of God alone"?