Widescreen VS Fullscreen

Which do you prefer?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

Which do you prefer?

Widescreen
61%
Fullscreen
18%
Top-O-Vision
21%

Total votes: 28

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Widescreen VS Fullscreen

Post by The Top Crusader »

I totally prefer widescreen... as any good elitist would say. ;) I dislike having the sides of my movies cut off...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Fullscreen...Widescreen is too much to look at.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I have to change my vote now. :mecry:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

But then again Top-O-Vision wins hands down!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Top-O-Vision is the way to go! \:D/

I voted for that one because I couldn't decide otherwise. ;) I don't really care for the most part - I'll watch either. Widescreen does have its advantages during some movies, though. :-k
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I definitely prefer widescreen. Although I'm not entirely sure which variant of widescreen is my favorite yet. Anything in 4x3, unless it's an old movie, screams "made for tv." Widescreen is so much more cinematic. It's also easier to frame, from a cinematography standpoint.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

The Top Crusader wrote:I dislike having the sides of my movies cut off...
Fullscreen, I dislike having the bottom and the tops of my movies cut out. Or squished down.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I like both: Wide Screen gives you the whole "Theater feel" and Full Screen gives you everything that is cut out from the shot. (I voted Wide Screen.)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Fullscreen, I dislike having the bottom and the tops of my movies cut out. Or squished down.
I concur. I would much rather have the sides of the movie cut off than the top and bottom. Those little black lines always bothered me.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
I concur. I would much rather have the sides of the movie cut off than the top and bottom. Those little black lines always bothered me.

Mandy
While the black lines may bother you, please do not believe any nonsense that you are "losing" part of the film or sections are getting "cut out" when you watch a widescreen movie. You know the little disclaimer they put before some vidoes:

This film has been modified from its original content.
It has been formated to fit onto your screen.

This message only appears on Full Screen movies because Wide Screen has not been "modified" in any way. While they have to present it to you in a way that includes black bars, you are not missing any picture whereas with the edited Full Screen format, you are missing over 40% of the picture!!

Examples:

FULLSCREEN

WIDESCREEN

FULLSCREEN

WIDESCREEN

Growing up, I too got a little annoyed at black bars in fullscreen. But once I saw what I was missing, I can't see a movie in fullscreen without feeling like I'm missing half the film!!!
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

The first widescreen movie we got was a VHS version of "Stargate" and I hated the movie not because of the content, but because of the black bars. I understood that I got more picture, not less, but I still hated the bars. Then we got a DVD player years later and the first couple of movies we got had both widescreen and full screen built onto the disc (depending which side you put in). Overtime, I got used to the widescreen and now absolutely love it. In fact, there's been times I'll go to buy a movie and see all the widescreen's are sold out, so I won't pick it up. As far as movies are concerned, I just can't stand the look of full screen any more... a complete reversal for me :).
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Indeed... I was all ready to post those shots STRYPER showed after I read a couple posts up there... but thankfully he beat me to it!

I only buy fullscreen if its the only thing available (a few movies don't have a readily available widescreen release yet...I'm looking at you, Death Wish 3!), or maybe if its in some discount bin for $2 or something...
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I prefer Widescreen all the way. Strange, since I have many of the same opinions as the rest of you; I simply hated the bar at the top when I was younger. I just wished it would go away. However, now, I completely detest fullscreen. I keep wondering what I'm missing, and it's actually much harder to see what's going on. With Widescreen, you're meant to see what the filmakers wanted you to, and therefore, you may have a different opinion about the film. Somehow, I feel more relaxed when watching it. I too may see that their isn't any Widescreens left, and simply take another film to rent.

BC
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Widescreen.

I don't know what Top-O-Vision is...... :-
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Carolita wrote: I don't know what Top-O-Vision is...... :-
It's from Willy Wonka Industries...
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Widescreen. It took me a while to get used to it, now I never buy Full Screen movies.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Widescreen as well. Our first DVD was widescreen, and the whole family hated it, but now none of us can stand it! :D (Uh, fullscreen, that is. :anxious: )
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

The Top Crusader wrote:I totally prefer widescreen... as any good elitist would say. ;) I dislike having the sides of my movies cut off...
me too! it shows much more even though it has strips of black on top and bottom.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

STRYPER wrote:While the black lines may bother you, please do not believe any nonsense that you are "losing" part of the film or sections are getting "cut out" when you watch a widescreen movie.
I'm well aware that the film isn't cut for Widescreen, but in my mind (hard to explain) the black lines cut something out in a way. I know it's not truly that way, but I can't fully explain the way my mind works.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Widescreen all the way!