~ B A R L O W G I R L ~

Face it. They rock.

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

Is Barlow Girl the best all girl Christian rock band to date?

Hoo Hay two Times Tuesday YES!
57%
Blech. I've heard better. I'll mention WHO in my post.
43%

Total votes: 30

Jennifer Doyle
An original

~ B A R L O W G I R L ~

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Alright, my sister has their first CD: "Barlow Girl"

and I have their second: "Another Journal Entry", given to me by Evangeline, actually! :D

I love both. These girls are talented, original, and pretty much awesome. They recently made a music video which can be seen on Yahoo music player! http://www.launch.com I actually just lent my #2 cd to my friend and got her and her sister hooked too!

YEHAW! I wish every girl in the world would buy their cd. That'd be so awesome.

You can check them out at http://www.Barlowgirl.com and vote for them on YAHOO! Unfortuanately, I've never been able to see them in concert, though they are coming to Spokane [a long way from Tacoma] in Febuary!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I liked their first album a whole lot better. And I liked them a whole lot better before they were incredibly popular. There's something that draws me about people who may not be well-known, but are out there. As opposed to those that are well-loved and extremely popular. But I still like them.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Bleh, DC Talk is and always will be the best. No questions asked...these people are to happy-go-pop.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Yes, BarlowGirl rocks! Such good music!

"Never alone..."
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I purchased their album, BarlowGirl, for my sister this Christmas. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I had the opportunity to see them in concert in November. They were incredible. Not only do they put on a good show, but they actually get real with you too. They each spoke, and shared and it was awesome.

I now have both their cds as well \:D/
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I purchased their album, BarlowGirl, for my sister this Christmas. \:D/
Good choice! Awesome brother!
JesusFreak777 wrote:I had the opportunity to see them in concert in November. They were incredible. Not only do they put on a good show, but they actually get real with you too. They each spoke, and shared and it was awesome.
Oh really! Awesome! I am so jealous. I know I enjoy their music SO much just listening to the CDs, listening to them witness, etc . . .would be awesome as well!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I like their music, but I liked their first CD better. Not that it's bad, just not as good as their first.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Barlow Girl is okay, though as EK said, DC Talk shall forever be #1! \:D/
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

Barlow Girl is good, but not the best. My sisters and I saw them singing at the mall once, and they were good (and modest! that won points) but I'm not very much into that kind of music.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

For those of you answering "Blech I've heard better" and then citing DC Talk as an example, allow me to clarify my poll question.

"Is Barlow Girl the best all girl Christian rock band
to date?

Blech. I've heard better. I'll mention WHO in my post."

That, by nature would exclude DC Talk, since they are not female, or in the rock genre, or a band.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Jennifer Doyle wrote:For those of you answering "Blech I've heard better" and then citing DC Talk as an example, allow me to clarify my poll question.

"Is Barlow Girl the best all girl Christian rock band
to date?

Blech. I've heard better. I'll mention WHO in my post."

That, by nature would exclude DC Talk, since they are not female, or in the rock genre, or a band.
What genre is DC Talk?

And they are still a band... they just don't act like it anymore. :( But they are technically still together. Tait told me so himself!

But no they aren't girls. :(
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I would classify DC Talk as some sort of R&B/Pop GROUP. Do they play instruments? I'm only aware of Kevin playing piano for his own music but usually they are three singers . ..
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Jennifer Doyle wrote:I would classify DC Talk as some sort of R&B/Pop GROUP. Do they play instruments? I'm only aware of Kevin playing piano for his own music but usually they are three singers . ..
Well, they do all play, but as far as DC Talk they only sing.

I don't know, my Christian bookstore has them under rock/alternative, which sounds right to me... although really they are rather genre bending and cover a lot of ground...
Agent Robert Mitchell
Smile for the camera

Post by Agent Robert Mitchell »

I can't believe my sister (F_F) hasn't posted on this thread yet! She has to be one of their biggest fans...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and DC talk will always be my #1.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
--C. S. Lewis

I have to, unfortunately. -_-
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Oh gag. For the love of Mike. Dc Talk is not a female Christian rock band.
Agent Robert Mitchell
Smile for the camera

Post by Agent Robert Mitchell »

Have you heard any of their music? Hehe, and of course they aren't a female band! =D> I say more power to 'em!
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
--C. S. Lewis

I have to, unfortunately. -_-
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

*realizes that somewhere out there...is a REALLY SMART PERSON : another BARLOWGIRL FAN!* \:D/ times hoo hay times two tuesday ... yea... :D

I'm listening to them right now, their journal is up on my homepage, and I'm so sure that BG is the BEST Chick Rock (otherwise known as female rock) band out there that I'd pay all my money (ok, hey, 7.50 might work) to go see them.

*listens to Never Alone*

I bought the second one before the first, but my friend intro'd me on her Xanga to NEVER ALONE, and then I received their first CD for my birthday. That was the highlight of my birthday.

Yes. They are the BEST girl's rock band out there. Good music, good lyrics, good influence, good band.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

No, please, don't call me a spammer. But they are...like...THE best girl's rock band out there.

EDIT... just for that amount of smileys, I'm going to go donate a buck or two to S-paw...don't delete my post!! :shame:
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Barlowgirl is one of the best 'all girl, christian rock bands' out there. I like that they are modest, and that their lyrics and music are something worthwhile!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Agent Robert Mitchell wrote:Have you heard any of their music?
Yes, but what does DC Talk have to do with Barlow Girl? They are completely unrelated and I don't want to talk about them HERE.

Dosh!

Back to the greatness that is Barlow Girl.

Their lyrics are what set them so far apart from secular and even other Christian groups. They totally came out swinging at main stream media that acts like dating is a necessity and that tiny clothes are the norm and we should fit into them.

"Clothes"
Clothes aren't what they used to be
They don't seem to fit you and me anymore
Modesty is the door
Flaunting what we've got and more is in
Yeah it's in

They're saying
Don't ask why just wear what we say
You'll look like a model if you'll only obey
To get the attention, just do what we say

Pay so much for clothes so small
Was that shirt made for me or my doll?
Is this all I get?
I looked so hot but caught a cold
I was doing just what I was told
To fit in

We're saying let's ask why
Don't wear what they say
Don't want to be a modle
They can't eat anyway
That kind of attention will fade with the day

Clothes that fit are fine
Won't show whats mine
Don't change my mind
I'll be fine
"Average Girl"

So what I'm not your average girl
I don't meet the standards of this world
Chasing after boys is not my thing
See I'm waiting for a wedding ring

No more dating
I'm just waiting
Like sleeping beauty
My prince will come for me
No more dating I'm just waiting
'Cause God is writing my love story

"Boys are bad" that's certainly not true
'Cause God's preparing one for you
If you get tired waiting till he comes
Gods arms are the perfect place to run

Sleep that's the only thing
For me 'cause when I sleep Gods
Preparing one for me