What's your hardest song?

For those that play instruments

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Barely Is! Shame on you for revealing Secrets! :shame: :shame: Superfluity of Naughtiness! j/k :p
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Barely Is wrote:Karin's sight-reading skills are sickening good. :noway: Don't let her fool you, even though she's only had lessons for a year, she plays MUCH better than I do, and I've had lessons since I was seven. \:D/
*is horribly jealous* :sick:

I'm a terrible sight reader! :noway:
Linne

Post by Linne »

Chandler wrote:
Barely Is wrote:Karin's sight-reading skills are sickening good. :noway: Don't let her fool you, even though she's only had lessons for a year, she plays MUCH better than I do, and I've had lessons since I was seven. \:D/

You're not the only one. I've never been able to sight read. :(
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Barely Is wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Maybe we should start a faction for bad sight readers. :(
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Chandler wrote:
Barely Is wrote:
Chandler wrote:

I couldn't join your faction. :-
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

Frank wrote: I couldn't join your faction. :-
Maybe we should start our own faction for those that can sightread well, Frank!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Frank wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Barely Is wrote:
Chandler wrote:

I couldn't join your faction. :-
Fine, rub it in. :noway:
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

lol, I'd join a faction/support group for bad sight readers! It doesn't matter if I'm on the flute, the violin, or the piano, I have terrible sight-reading skills.

I 'rock the socks off' of everyone I've ever met when it comes to memorization and playing by ear, though.
Linne

Post by Linne »

Playing by ear, I also can't do. But I can memorize music very quickly, which is really fortunate! \:D/
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I have the whole first part of Carol of the Bells memorized (I'm trying to memorize the last part), and when I'm done with that I'll probably work on memorizing the Rondo Alla Turca.

I never waste money on sheet music; why bother when I can just figure out the notes on my own? Besides, I usually like my version better.

Although I must admit, there is a certain appeal in following music and getting pleasantly 'surprised' when you hit a strangely keyed note and hear it sound nice...
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

I can play by ear, but not as well as most people. I have a cousin who's great at playing by ear, though! \:D/
Linne

Post by Linne »

Karin wrote:I can play by ear, but not as well as most people. I have a cousin who's great at playing by ear, though! \:D/
Which one? Seriously, your whole family is way too talented. :noway:

;)
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

Barely Is wrote:
Karin wrote:I can play by ear, but not as well as most people. I have a cousin who's great at playing by ear, though! \:D/
Which one? Seriously, your whole family is way too talented. :noway:

;)
Ha ha ha. Anthony is the one I was thinking of.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Chandler wrote:The hardest song I've played on the piano is Sonata Pathetique by Beethoven. O:)
I think that's the one I've always wanted to play :D Maybe. :-k
hmmm...for piano I really don't know...it's hard speeding up Solfeggettio (by Bach's son I believe) but I'm also learning some 1 piano/4 hands duets with my sister (also my piano teacher) by Brahms (Hungarian Dances) and they are pretty hard! Either they are really fast or if you are playing the primo (isn't that what the high part is called?) then there are lots of 16th notes and you're going, like, super fast! If you are playin secondo then there are lots of weird rhythms and stuff. Those are pretty hard.
For violin, oh, I don't know...twinkle, twinkle was hard when I was 5! Or, 6...anyways, right now I'm learning a concerto by Vivaldi but I can't remember which one. I'll check my book later. It's hard. As for Etudes...Kayser is really hard! I just crossed off one I'd had since October! But, as my teacher says, once you learn all the little technique things you don't have to learn them again.

And all of you who want to make a faction for good sight readers/bad sight readers...do we even have one for musicians? I think that'd be a good start :-

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Flight of the bumblebee on stand-up accoustic bass.

\:D/
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'm going to have a band song, as I hardly do any playing outside of an ensemble.

The Magic Flute by Mozart. Unless I get a metronome implanted in my brain, I won't be playing it. We read it tonight in a rehearsal, and at one point I was half a page off -_-;
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Hmm... which scene is that in again, Jonathan? (I mean, what does it sound like? What's going on in the story?)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Xiao wrote:Flight of the bumblebee on stand-up accoustic bass.

\:D/
*tried her hand at it once on piano...but got frustrated very quickly* Wow Xiao, you're amazing. :yes:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Rachael wrote:Hmm... which scene is that in again, Jonathan? (I mean, what does it sound like? What's going on in the story?)
I have no idea; I don't know the story at all and this was the first time I'd played the music.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Okay... what does it sound like? I'd ask you what color and texture it is, but somehow I don't think that would work...