Americans embarrass themselves in Torino

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What was the worst showing of Americans Olympic athletes?

Bode Miller partying before his events
42%
Lindsey Jacobellis showboating
26%
Johnny Weir and his 'aura' - feeling black inside
16%
Shani Davis and Chad Hendrick infighting
16%

Total votes: 19

Flyah
Popsicle kid

Americans embarrass themselves in Torino

Post by Flyah »

What an embarrassment from the American athletes at the Winter Olympics. From Jacobelllis, to Miller to Davis, do any of the American's understand the Olympic spirit? Thank goodness for Ohno.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Fortunately, I completely ignored the Olympics, so I'm clueless! \:D/
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

And we wonder why the world views us the way they do.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Who are the middle two? :anxious:

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Because of the actions/ poor choices of four Americans, the Americans were embarassed?

And the world thinks of us the way we do because we support Israel and Christianity AND we will go against the UN. [Well, we don't outright outlaw Christianity anyway.]

That all said, I think Bode is an embarassment to the sport period. And the other American won it because he worked harder and wasn't a screw off.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

The whole thing with Shani Davis and Chad Hennrick irked me because while I can understand Henricks irritation of Davis not participating in the pursuit I think it was really unsportsmanlike to hold it against him for the entire time they were there. By the same token I think it was unsportsmanlike for Shani Davis to make it officaial four days before the event when he's known since he was first appointed to the pursuit team to say he wasn't going to do it. Oh well...hopefully things get better before Vancouver.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:Because of the actions/ poor choices of four Americans, the Americans were embarassed?
Absolutely Jennifer D.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Watching Lindsey Jacobellis was just sad. But she deserved the silver, really. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I wasn't impressed with Bode at all.. After he messed up in the last event I saw an interview with him and his attitude was that he came there to have fun and not to get medals. He sure did a good job of that.. >_>

And I echo the though 'Thank goodness for Ohno'..
...I hate marquees.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

J-man wrote:I wasn't impressed with Bode at all.. After he messed up in the last event I saw an interview with him and his attitude was that he came there to have fun and not to get medals. He sure did a good job of that.. >_>

And I echo the though 'Thank goodness for Ohno'..
However I'm sure Nike had some words with him considering they were his sponser.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Flyah wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:Because of the actions/ poor choices of four Americans, the Americans were embarassed?
Absolutely Jennifer D.
I disagree. Maybe you were embarassed, but I was not. I judge on an individual basis. And I look to the people that make our country proud.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Watching Lindsey Jacobellis was just sad. But she deserved the silver, really. :-k
I saw that right after I came back from a snowboarding trip. It was so sad... WAAH j/k

I just hate watching anybody fall snowboarding.

*especially after trying to teach my good friend how to snowboard. :P
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i said bode only because i thought he was the bigest disappionment. But the partying before events was just rumors.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

MDB17 wrote:i said bode only because i thought he was the bigest disappionment. But the partying before events was just rumors.

In an interview, he said that he was partying. :(

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

being a Canadain I thought you guys embarrassed yourselves. like really there are prolly so many othere good athletes in your Country who would have down it and taken pride in it, insted of not taking seriously.
Image [img]
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
MDB17 wrote:i said bode only because i thought he was the bigest disappionment. But the partying before events was just rumors.

In an interview, he said that he was partying. :(

-Cowboy
he said he was partying but not before any of the events
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

While the Americans kinda embarrassed themselves, I don't really care. It's over, and I can't do anything about it. Besides, we're always better in the summer Olympics anyway.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

mr. mellow wrote:being a Canadain I thought you guys embarrassed yourselves. like really there are prolly so many othere good athletes in your Country who would have down it and taken pride in it, insted of not taking seriously.
Well, that is your personal opinion and you're entitled to it, but I think it's rediculous to take the actions of individuals and attribute them to a group. *shrugs* I'm sure other nations don't want us doing it with their athletes. Americans just have the highest profiles because the majority of countries already don't like us. I don't really care, we aren't in a Global popularity contest.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
mr. mellow wrote:being a Canadain I thought you guys embarrassed yourselves. like really there are prolly so many othere good athletes in your Country who would have down it and taken pride in it, insted of not taking seriously.
Well, that is your personal opinion and you're entitled to it, but I think it's rediculous to take the actions of individuals and attribute them to a group. *shrugs* I'm sure other nations don't want us doing it with their athletes. Americans just have the highest profiles because the majority of countries already don't like us. I don't really care, we aren't in a Global popularity contest.
its ok dont take anything that I say to seriously I was only trying to get your goat. :anxious:
Image [img]
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Unfortunatly those who are put into the spotlight are the standards by which other countries judge us. And those people will either reinfoce those stereotypes or make people re examine what Americans are like. As an Olympic athlete you go there with the understanding that you are representing the people in your country. Besides I've been in a situation where my presense was resented because I am an American and trust me it's no cake walk. The sad thing was that it was in a situation where it shouldn't have mattered.