A Honda car commercial

Pure Genius.

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

A Honda car commercial

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

This is amazing- read all of the text before you click on the commercial

Honda Commercial-wow!

Read the text before you click on the link!

------

There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in the film. Everything you see really happened in real time exactly as you see it.

The film took 606 takes. On the first 605 takes, something, usually very minor, didn't work. They would then have to set the whole thing up again. The crew spent weeks shooting night and day. By the time it was over, they were ready to change professions.

The film cost six million dollars and took three months to complete including full engineering of the sequence. In addition, it's two minutes long so every time Honda airs the film on British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep any one of us in clover for a lifetime. However, it is fast becoming the most downloaded advertisement in Internet history. Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself simply in "free" viewings. (Honda isn't paying a dime to have you watch this commercial!).

When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it immediately without any hesitation - including the costs. There are six and only six hand-made Accords in the world. To the horror of Honda engineers, the filmmakers disassembled two of them to make the film. Everything you see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and complete Honda Accord) are parts from those two cars.

The voiceover is Garrison Keillor. When the ad was shown to Honda executives, they liked it and commented on how amazing computer graphics have gotten. They fell off their chairs when they found out it was for real.

Click here to view this amazing ad.....
http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/HondaAccordAd.htm

If it is indeed real stuff in real time, that is pretty incredible!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

That is awesome! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Yeah, I've seen that. It is indeed pretty impressive!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Anne Doyle
Green is good

Post by Anne Doyle »

Hey! I showed you that e-mail! Wow. Some people have a lot of time on their hands, verdad?
На фоне синего Skys, ссылку из прошлого в будущее, под крыльями убежище защитников.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

awesome! I love Honda Accords. They are da bomb.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Is it a chain-reaction machine made out of carparts? (I don't want to bother watching it)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

DanP740 wrote:Is it a chain-reaction machine made out of carparts? (I don't want to bother watching it)
That's it. :anxious:
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

That is so cool! \:D/
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I've seen it before, and it's ingenius! Go Honda!
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

That's amazing... The other videos are funny aswell.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Did you know that the rolling muffler is computer generated because the room wasn't big enough?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Good grief it makes a lot more sense just to use a computer.. Why spend all that money?
...I hate marquees.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

It looks better in real life.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

J-man wrote:Good grief it makes a lot more sense just to use a computer.. Why spend all that money?
Yeah, six million is not something I would spend on a commercial.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I've seen that before, and it never fails to blow my mind o_O
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Ferder wrote:That's amazing... The other videos are funny aswell.
I looked at some of the other videos as well, and they're funny... The website reminds me of another such crazy video site: stupidvideos.com.
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

Samwise wrote:
Ferder wrote:That's amazing... The other videos are funny aswell.
I looked at some of the other videos as well, and they're funny... The website reminds me of another such crazy video site: stupidvideos.com.
Everyone knows stupid videos.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Everyone's been telling me how old this is . . . wow, I'm so out of it. :anxious:
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
This is amazing- read all of the text before you click on the commercial

Honda Commercial-wow!

Read the text before you click on the link!

------

There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in the film. Everything you see really happened in real time exactly as you see it.

The film took 606 takes. On the first 605 takes, something, usually very minor, didn't work. They would then have to set the whole thing up again. The crew spent weeks shooting night and day. By the time it was over, they were ready to change professions.

The film cost six million dollars and took three months to complete including full engineering of the sequence. In addition, it's two minutes long so every time Honda airs the film on British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep any one of us in clover for a lifetime. However, it is fast becoming the most downloaded advertisement in Internet history. Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself simply in "free" viewings. (Honda isn't paying a dime to have you watch this commercial!).

When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it immediately without any hesitation - including the costs. There are six and only six hand-made Accords in the world. To the horror of Honda engineers, the filmmakers disassembled two of them to make the film. Everything you see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and complete Honda Accord) are parts from those two cars.

The voiceover is Garrison Keillor. When the ad was shown to Honda executives, they liked it and commented on how amazing computer graphics have gotten. They fell off their chairs when they found out it was for real.

Click here to view this amazing ad.....
http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/HondaAccordAd.htm

If it is indeed real stuff in real time, that is pretty incredible!
It still blows my mind, so I checked snopes.com, and the quote above matches; it is true. And if any of you are curious,

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp