Book #1: A Study in Scarlet

A place for book-lovers to read and discuss books together! We'll be reading one book each month. All are welcome to join at any time!

Book #1: A Study in Scarlet

Postby Woody » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:30 pm

The first book we'll be reading together is A Study in Scarlet, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This book is the debut story of famous sleuth Sherlock Holmes, and is widely considered a classic.

This book is available as a free ebook from Project Gutenberg. You can use the OverDrive app to read it on your phone, tablet, or computer.

It's also available as a free Kindle book. You can also buy the complete Sherlock Holmes collection on Kindle for 99¢.

This is also a popular enough book that most libraries should have a print copy.

This thread will also serve as the main discussion thread for this book. :)
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.
I'll catch up to Bren!
Woody

The man that stops the monsters

Cash on hand: 2,134.66
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)

Re: Book #1: A Study in Scarlet

Postby Lark » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:36 pm

How age-appropriate is this book?
I guess I'll stick around
Lark

Sometimes the sun has to grow dim in order to show it's true starlight

Cash on hand: 170.76
Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Limerick » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:30 pm

It is generally classed into Grades 7-12, it has been a long time since I personally read it to comment on it personally, it apparently has drawn a bit of fire for its portrayal of Muslims, being removed from Virginia's school reading list for 6th graders for that reason. I don't recall much from it that was problematic generally speaking though.
Limerick

Cash on hand: 47.91
Bank: 0.00

Postby Woody » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:56 pm

The book has been used on sixth-grade reading lists(though was removed due to complaints of it being derogatory toward Mormons). I've read the first several chapters, including the murder scene, and for a murder mystery, violence and gore are kept to a minimum. As for language, I searched the Kindle edition for swear words, and there are two instances of the word 'de*ce' and one instance of 'd*mn*d'. My personal recommendation would be ages 11 and up. If you still have concerns, I would highly recommend that you talk to your parents or someone who has read the book. :)
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.
I'll catch up to Bren!
Woody

Postby Lizzy88 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Do Book Club members have to read each book that is selected for discussion? How long is each book "on" in the book club?
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Lizzy88

Christmas is coming! PREPARE YOURSELVES!

Cash on hand: 11.88
Bank: 509.00

Postby Woody » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Nope! No need to read every book. Just pick the ones you're interested in. :) Each book will be featured for one month(unless we all finish early and decide to move on sooner, that is).
I'll catch up to Bren!
Woody

Postby bookworm » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Be aware that this story is told in an interesting way; it's broken into two distinct parts. The first part is the Sherlock Holmes mystery, and then it goes into an extended flashback which eventually sets up the wrap up. It caught me off guard the first time I read it because it seems to be completely unrelated at first, but you'll get it eventually.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Cash on hand: 1,333.90
Bank: 56,000.00

Postby Catspaw » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:54 pm

That's good to know - that is unusual, and now I know not to expect the flashback to end right away.

I haven't started reading the book yet. :anxious: I should get started on that... O:)
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 6,259.87
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby Woody » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:58 pm

So, any thoughts, folks? I liked it, but I wish the mystery had been more reader-solvable. We didn't have all the information Sherlock had, and it was completely impossible to guess all the stuff that went on in Utah... That's what I like about Agatha Christie's mystery novels, you have enough information to theorize and occasionally come close to the answer(although you never get it spot-on). It's likely because Christie's books have a very limited number of suspects. Here anyone in London could have done the murder.
I'll catch up to Bren!
Woody

Return to The Book Club