Thanksgiving activities

The leaves (and/or snowflakes) are falling and the fun is happening here at the Fall Festival! Come join in!

Thanksgiving activities

Postby bookworm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:12 pm

What do you usually do on Thanksgiving? Is there a traditional agenda or does it change every year? Have people at your house or go to someone else's house? Large family gathering or just a few people? Do you watch football? Play games?
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Cash on hand: 281.12
Bank: 59,143.88

Re: Thanksgiving activities

Postby Catspaw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 pm

I usually celebrate Thanksgiving with the rest of Canada in October and then roll my eyes at all the Black Friday ads in the weeks leading up to American Thanksgiving. ;)

We always have family time as an immediate family, and often have extended family gatherings as well, with lots of food and fun. We don't really have any special traditions where it always has to be at the same place or have the exact same menu. One constant is my mom's pumpkin pie. I don't love pumpkin pie in general, but I do love my mom's pumpkin pie with lots of whipping cream!
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 8,514.27
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby bookworm » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Whose home my family would gather at used to change from year to year when I was little, and it used to be a somewhat larger group, but not everyone lives nearby anymore so for a long time now what happens each year has been exactly the same as we've settled into a routine that works great for everyone.

It's a gathering of the immediate family that is still in the area, a fairly small group. It takes place at our house because it's more or less centrally located. Everyone has a signature dish they are known for so they each bring that and everything comes together into an amazing meal. In the morning we switch between the Macy's Parade and the first football game as final preparations around the house are made, then we put on the National Dog Show as people arrive and make final preparations of the food they each brought. We put the second football game on in the background while everyone eats and visits, then some people watch the last football game while others play some games until people have to start leaving.
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Cash on hand: 281.12
Bank: 59,143.88

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:30 am

Thanksgivings (and Christmas) were often bigger deals when I was little, but as people have DROPPED DEAD and moved away and/or have expanded their own families, it definitely has become diminished. Like back in the day we'd usually end up at my grandparents' on my mom's side because it was local, but a couple times we celebrated with my dad's side of the family, but that was at my *GREAT* grandparents' a few hours away.

But as the DEATHS keep piling up and things shift around we have just hosted Thanksgiving at our house for quite a few years now. Mother-in-law is the only consistent person, my parents sometimes show up but they are sometimes with my brother's family or on vacation like a bunch of anti-family jerks or something.

Beyond location and people, I DEMAND to have Mystery Science Theater 3000 on for a while because like 25+ years ago they had Turkey Day marathons on Comedy Central, and in the last few years they've brought that back on their streaming channel. \:D/

And football if there is a came I care about.
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
The Top Crusader

Old... but not obsolete.

Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Cash on hand: 10,260.18
Bank: 5,584,680.26
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Laura Ingalls » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:44 pm

The past 3 years my family has traveled down from VA to spend Thanksgiving with us. For 2 years, my in-laws hosted everyone, this year I hosted it at our house for the first time. \:D/ Although family members pitched in and helped a ton, I only had a few things I made all on my own.
Would have turned on a football game, but was too busy getting things together and chasing little people around.
“Home is the nicest word there is.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Half Pint
Half Pint
Laura Ingalls

Happily married to Almanzo

Cash on hand: 480.76
Bank: 80.45

Return to Fall Festival 2019