The Great Christmas Light Fight

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." ~Isaiah 9:6

The Great Christmas Light Fight

Postby bookworm » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:21 am

Here's my yearly recommendation for everyone to check this show out if you haven't. My family watches every year. It is truly incredible to see the kinds of things people come up with. Also the stories behind the displays are often really moving, so they're not only impressive visually but emotionally too. This season's episodes are all available for free online for a limited time.

It was brought to my attention last year that some people may not really understand what the show is if the brief description doesn't make them them go ahead and watch an episode, so I want to give more information because if a misconception about what it's like is holding someone back from checking it out that would truly be tragic.

It's not your usual reality show; there's no drama among the 'contestants', they don't event interact at all, the "fight" name is just for fun. The show is simply about looking at how and why different people do their decorations; it's truly one of the most straightforward and genuine shows there is. Each episode features four displays. For each one you get a quick introduction to the family explaining what kind of display they put up and if there's a special reason or story behind it, then the judge comes and you see an overview of the display as whole, then an up close walkthrough of some specific elements in the display and details of how it was made or put up. Then it repeats for the next display. At the end of the episode the judge declares one of the four displays the winner, but that's just to give the show a conclusion. The focus isn't about the competition between the families at all, they don't even know who they are competing against. You watch this show to be amazed at the creativity and heart that goes into these incredible decorations. That's truly all there is to it.

This is probably the overall best season the show has ever had. The increidble variety, the emotional stories, the amazing imagination, it's truly unbelievable. You honestly don't understand how much you can get out of a 'decorating contest' show until you watch this. The premise doesn't adequately convey the content, it truly has to be experienced to be appreciated. As always I strongly encourage you to watch all six episodes, this year even more than usual, but if you're not going to do that I'll list the absolute best of the best parts and hope you will at the very least look at those.

Episode 1 this year is a must see; it's one of the best there's been in the whole seven seasons. Every one of these displays is a perfect example of the blend of ingenuity and heart the show showcases so well, it's an ideal snapshot of what it's all about. I'm serious; watch this episode. Anyone who is reading this, go do it. After you see this one you will get what the show is and know whether you want to see more or not. And even if it doesn't hook you in to watching the rest, this episode is so worth watching just as a one off.

Other items of particular note this year:

Episode 2 is another exceptionally great one. This one really shows the incredible range of the types of displays you see on the show. You might think 'how many ways are there really to put up lights, this has to get repetitive after a while' but no, every one of the displays here is completely different, and all so incredibly impressive for what they each are. While all four of these absolutely wow on a quality level, two stand out in particular in extra ways on top of that: the second display for the truly heartwarming story behind it, and the fourth display for probably the most superb decoration of trees the show has ever seen.

Episode 3 features hands down the two single most unique displays the show has ever seen back to back (starting at 17:35). Neither one is what would ever come to your mind when picturing Christmas displays and both honestly need to be seen to be believed, for very different reasons. The rest of the episode is worth watching also, it's a special 'heavyweight' edition featuring massive displays that are more than just the typical house and yard so there are some really neat things to see, but those two in particular are just absolutely something else.

And lastly, but definitely not least, the third display in Episode 6 (starting at 17:14) is one of the all time highlights. The detail of this is mindblowing, and the story of it is incredibly moving. One of the purest singular examples of 'this right here is exactly what this show is for, to be able to see things like this.'
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Cash on hand: 1,077.56
Bank: 58,231.74

Re: The Great Christmas Light Fight

Postby Catspaw » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:02 pm

I saw it listed on TV over Christmas and was actually going to watch it solely due to your recommendation last year, bookworm, but I was busy the day that I noticed it and never actually watched. :anxious:
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 8,793.61
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby bookworm » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am

Do the links not work for Canada?
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby Catspaw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 pm

No, ABC geoblocks, as do almost all (if not all) American TV channel websites. No worries. There's always next year. ;)
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby bookworm » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:58 pm

Next year won't have these episodes. :( If you're going to give the show a try this was without doubt the time to do it.
Is there no Canadian equivalent of ABC on demand? Why would they air shows there but not have a way to rewatch?
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
bookworm

Postby Catspaw » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:52 pm

I do get ABC through my satellite connection, but as a Canadian I still get geoblocked from watching videos on their website. There are Canadian TV channel sites that I can access some content that those channels air, but it doesn't look like any of them have this show. No worries. Us Canadians are used to being discriminated against. ;)
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Return to ToO Christmas Celebration 2019