569: "The Invisible Dog"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this show?

5 stars - Stupendous!
12%
4 stars - Excellent!
55%
3 stars - Great!
24%
2 stars - Good!
5%
1 star - Bad!
5%

Total votes: 42

One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

I thought it was a good episode. I liked having cCnnie, Eugene, Whit and a kid all in one episode like old times. I really liked Eugene as a teacher too. I love Trent! He is my favorite kid right now. (Before him it was Jimmy)
I didn't like Lester in No Way out/ NO way in...but I liked him in this episode. He seemed liked a realistic character
Good job AIO...I gave it 3/5
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow! I never expected to hear from Lester again, but I was gald that we did. I found Ralph to be amusing, but also touching. I liked the scene at the end where Lester pretended to see the "puppy" that Trent gave him. I thought that it was cute that Lester knew what Trent meant to be in the box!

Eugene as a sub teacher - what a fabulous idea! I think that Eugene would be a great teacher, and it was good to see him humble and willing to accept help at the end of the ep, realizing that his approach was not working, and accepting advice. I feel a lot of pity towards those poor students, though - I find math bad enough without my know-it-all teacher who had no idea that nobody (except the way-too-smart kid) knows what's going on! I wonder if John Fornof knew all that math stuff, or if he researched it all specifically for this ep?

One thing I found weird was Trent's presence in the class. At the end of Potential Possibilities, it sounded like Trent was going to go back to the gifted class, so he could be all that God wanted him to be and stuff like that. Now he's still in his normal class. I wonder what happened? I'm sure that storylines are easier with characters we already know, like Marvin, and I really liked this ep, but I would have liked some small explanation about the gifted class thing.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:Wow! I never expected to hear from Lester again, but I was gald that we did. I found Ralph to be amusing, but also touching. I liked the scene at the end where Lester pretended to see the "puppy" that Trent gave him. I thought that it was cute that Lester knew what Trent meant to be in the box!
Hearing Lester was a pleasant surprise for me too. :)
Catspaw wrote:One thing I found weird was Trent's presence in the class. At the end of Potential Possibilities, it sounded like Trent was going to go back to the gifted class, so he could be all that God wanted him to be and stuff like that. Now he's still in his normal class. I wonder what happened? I'm sure that storylines are easier with characters we already know, like Marvin, and I really liked this ep, but I would have liked some small explanation about the gifted class thing.
You can't forget to mention that like 4 shows before Trent is put in the gifted class both he and Marvin are getting help in the Imagination Station on their math from Dr. Hawthorne's class. Guess it really worked for Trent. :lol:

Come to think of it, Eugene wasn't replacing Dr. Hawthorne was he? Strangely enough I think he was mentioned as a psychologist in this ep right? That guy really gets around! :-k
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I thought about that too Catspaw
One thing I found weird was Trent's presence in the class. At the end of Potential Possibilities, it sounded like Trent was going to go back to the gifted class, so he could be all that God wanted him to be and stuff like that. Now he's still in his normal class. I wonder what happened? I'm sure that storylines are easier with characters we already know, like Marvin, and I really liked this ep, but I would have liked some small explanation about the gifted class thing.
Then I realized that geometry in 7 grade is VERY gifted.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I thought about that too Catspaw
Then I realized that geometry in 7 grade is VERY gifted.
But the gifted class was separate - one of the reasons that Trent didn't like it was because he would be in a different class than Marvin, and Marvin was clearly in this class. Trent may be in a gifted class (though it seems doubtful, since they're all so far behind him), but he is not in the gifted class.

I forgot about Dr. Hawthorne - thanks for the reminder, Chandler! I thought that it was weird that he was the psychologist friends that Whit had. He isn't the kind of person that I would want advice on how to compassionately deal with a situation! ;) I would have preferred an unnamed preson to a person that we have all been made to dislike due to his obnoxious nature.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:I forgot about Dr. Hawthorne - thanks for the reminder, Chandler! I thought that it was weird that he was the psychologist friends that Whit had. He isn't the kind of person that I would want advice on how to compassionately deal with a situation! ;) I would have preferred an unnamed preson to a person that we have all been made to dislike due to his obnoxious nature.
You're welcome. :) The other thing I wish is that this "psychologist" had more of a Christian base. I've studied psychology and not all of it aligns with the Bible. I wouldn't turn to a non-Christian psychologist first when dealing with an issue. :-k His worldview isn't going to be the same as mine.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I liked the ep for the most part..........I think Trent couldda been a little more sensitive to Lester all things considered.........but it was pretty well done....esp the flashback scene.

I gave it 4 stars.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

You're welcome. The other thing I wish is that this "psychologist" had more of a Christian base. I've studied psychology and not all of it aligns with the Bible. I wouldn't turn to a non-Christian psychologist first when dealing with an issue. His worldview isn't going to be the same as mine.
Actually there are many Christian takes on common psychological views. My dad is a psychologist, and has no problems giving a Christian answer to soe of the same questions many well known psychologists bring up. (Ihope that makes sense) I don't know if that's what you meant or not Chandler.

Oh and I enjoyed having Lester back.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:Oh and I enjoyed having Lester back.
As did I. But more than that, I loved having my name heard throughout the episode. Not to mention the fact "Trent" has been posted so many times in this thread.

:inlove:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

JesusFreak777 wrote:
You're welcome. The other thing I wish is that this "psychologist" had more of a Christian base. I've studied psychology and not all of it aligns with the Bible. I wouldn't turn to a non-Christian psychologist first when dealing with an issue. His worldview isn't going to be the same as mine.
Actually there are many Christian takes on common psychological views. My dad is a psychologist, and has no problems giving a Christian answer to soe of the same questions many well known psychologists bring up. (Ihope that makes sense) I don't know if that's what you meant or not Chandler.

Oh and I enjoyed having Lester back.
But the psychologist was not a Christian, and in the psychological world, despite some Christian presence, has a deep founded world view. That was the concern Chandler was expressing; that a Christian should seek a Christian psychologist rather then a unbeliever.

-Jonathan
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Oh Ok Jonathan. Thanks. I totally missed that, both in the ep and in her post.

EDIT: I relistened to the ep. It sounds like Whit says Dr. Hoffman to me. Am I just hearing funny?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I thought I heard that too, the second time he mentioned it. Glen? Nathan? Anybody?
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I'm near positive it was Dr. Hoffman, not Dr. Hawthorne.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Shadowpaw wrote:I'm near positive it was Dr. Hoffman, not Dr. Hawthorne.
Oh good! :pray: It sounded like Hawthorne to me but I only heard it once. ](*,)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Based on one listen , it sounded like Hawthorne, but Hoffmann sounds pretty close, so it would be easy to mix them up, since we're used to hearing about Dr. Hawthorne.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I don't for sure of course, but like most of you I thought it was "Hawthorne" at first, but the second time he mentions the name it sounds like Hoffman. A rather poor choice for a name it if isn't Hawthorne, but maybe the writers didn't forsee the confusion.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I just relistened..........I heard Hoffman.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

That would make a lot more sense to me. Whit doesn't seem to know who Dr. Hawthorne is on "Faster Than a Speeding Ticket" when Dwayne, Jared, and Cody are talking about him.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Deffinatly Hoffman.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

One thing that irritated me was the fact that they said Lester must have his dog with him because he was stopping at the fire hydrant. It made me laugh but it's not the type of humor that I want to be laughing at. ](*,)