596: "Cover of Darkness"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "Cover of Darkness"?

5 stars It rocks!
33%
4 stars It's pretty great!
43%
3 stars It's good!
20%
2 stars I've heard better!
2%
1 star Meh!
2%

Total votes: 46

Chandler

Post by Chandler »

We were hoping that Pamela was coming back but we already know that Audrey is still playing Katrina. If the new actress convinces us that she's the same Doris (in actions and words, not necessarily voice) then I don't think there will be much complaint. :-$
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Here'smy review of the whole episode.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I like that idea, Thursday! \:D/ Dalton shows up and holds Eugene hostage while Leonard has to make tough decisions.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

J-man wrote:Ok, so Shadowpaw obviously messed up on his website, though he probably changed it by now..
I did? I don't recall mentioning anything about Pamela Hayden being Doris Rathbone, or putting anything on my website about PJ being in "Cover of Darkness." Catspaw did link to a section on the Soda Fountain that listed the shows PJ has appeared in, but that list is the same as it was since "A Time for Action II" aired.

As a side note, that's one of the big reasons the Soda Fountain wiki doesn't allow full user submission, otherwise there would be way too much misinformation flying about :). Though I certainly see why people would make the mistake about the gas attendant, since that was PJ's job last we heard.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shadowpaw wrote:
J-man wrote:Ok, so Shadowpaw obviously messed up on his website, though he probably changed it by now..
I did? I don't recall mentioning anything about Pamela Hayden being Doris Rathbone, or putting anything on my website about PJ being in "Cover of Darkness." Catspaw did link to a section on the Soda Fountain that listed the shows PJ has appeared in, but that list is the same as it was since "A Time for Action II" aired.
I posted that to show J-man the other eps that PJ was in, but I should have been smart enough to notice that "Cover of Darkness" was not listed there. Oh, well. This thread had already established my stupidity in so many ways that one more can't hurt.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

JF777 wrote:Also I beleive NAthan Hoobler posted some time ago, that Audrey IS the new Katrina period. However, he also said that Pam will be returning as Doris, but there are no plans to give her the role of Katrina back. We all need to stop complaning about Audrey in my opinionand just get used to it. ;) C'mon guys, how would yo ufeel if you were Audrey and you hopped on here one day to see what peopel thought of how you did in that days episiode. You get online and start reading people'sreviews, and there are almost none that are posative. Instead everyone is telling you to go away and give the role back to Pam.

I don't know about you, but I would feel pretty bad. It isn't Audrey's fault that she got Pam's role, so can we all stop making such a big deal about it and stop blaming her?
I would feel pretty bad, too, yet, I'm not blaming HER. I'm actually more blaming the people who picked Audrey to replace Pam, and even Pam herself for not being available. I think Audrey would be a wonderful ADDITION to Odyssey, but not a replacement of a character that I personally love. One of my greatest problems with it though, was that with Audrey came a sort of "ditzy" Katrina. She seems to be getting back to her normal self though, so I don't think I'll mind quite so much, though, in my mind, Pam will ALWAYS be Katrina.

Also, I personally think it's stupid (yet I completely understand why they are doing it) that Pam is coming back to be Doris and not Katrina, too. *sigh*

But, I have to say, I like Audrey. She has a good voice and seems to be doing a good job...but, for me, she would be better at someone else--it's always hard, I think, when someone comes in as a replacement because every old listener wants the REAL person back :anxious:

So, if she DOES happen to hop on here one day...well, I dunno what to say. I think I've pretty much said all I can think of right now...

:updated:
Shadowpaw wrote: Also, Doris Rathbone in the upcoming episode will not be played by Pamela Hayden. She will be played by an entirely different actress.
YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!!! now i am fully mad at Pamela Hayden for abandoning Odyseey! lol...okay, not really, but that is annoying--for, while Katrina is a normal person and can be replaced somewhat more easily (even though no one can really be replaced) Doris is someone who, well, is in her own world. I can't think of any way that they could replace Doris!
Samitude wrote: I guess it doesn't bother me too much that there's a new Katrina. There have been three Mary Barclays and that hasn't hurt us any. Also, we've had two Whits, two Jasons and I'm sure others have been in this situation as well.
Two Jasons? I don't remember that I don't think...also, there isn't that much different in the 2 Whit's because the character didn't change much. The only difference I see is that Hal Smith was more "jolly" for lack of a better term (especially his laugh) and still, with 3 Mary Barclays--there is one REAL Mary, although I don't know if she was the first, or which one.

THE END!!!
Last edited by snowflake on Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I really think we need to accept Audrey and while it may not be exactly the same as Pam, I honestly think she does a great job and like when eugene and katrina came back to Odyssey and tom, connie, and bernard welcomed katrina; I really felt like it was a real reunion, if that makes any sense :anxious: but anyways back to the episode, I really enjoyed it I mean not a lot happened in the episode but it did answer a lot of questions and I think it was kinda cool but weird that eugene had a brother and also sad.
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Catspaw wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:
I posted that to show J-man the other eps that PJ was in, but I should have been smart enough to notice that "Cover of Darkness" was not listed there. Oh, well. This thread had already established my stupidity in so many ways that one more can't hurt.
My mistake then, because I thought I saw Cover of darkness listed as a show he was in. I see now that I mixed up A Time for Action with Cover of Darkness. So sorry.. :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

After listening to Cover of Darkness twice on Saturday (and giving it some thought since then), I'm ready to give my opinions.

I gave the episode 4 stars, mostly because of the subject matter than because it was a really moving, really creative episode.

I'll admit, I'm a huge fan of the "old Odysseys." Paul Herlinger stepping in as Whit at the same time that the new batch of kid characters was introduced was hard to get used to, and though I've liked many new ones, I don't love them the same way. Suffice it to say, of the new ones my favorite episodes involve the old characters (Whit, Connie, Eugene, Tom, Bernard, etc.) rather than the kids, which is why I've enjoyed this mini-arc with Eugene and his father.

Still, this episode could've been stronger. Maybe it's just because not all has been revealed about Dalton's interest in recapturing Leonard Meltsner, but the whole premise seems...I don't know, more forced than past arcs. Maybe it's because AIO is grasping for ways to keep Odyssey exciting.

I thought the opening scene, where we first hear Eugene's reaction to meeting his father, could've been a lot more emotional than it was. Maybe, like some have said, it's partly because of the lack of music, but I think the dialogue was mostly to blame. But when Eugene yelled "DAD!"...that was emotional. The rest of that scene just seemed awkward, but maybe that was the idea.

The scene with Katrina and the gas station scene were stand-outs, the acting was good, but (and I'm trying to be objective here), it wasn't perfect.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

pinkjeans92 wrote:Two Jasons? I don't remember that I don't think...also, there isn't that much different in the 2 Whit's because the character didn't change much. The only difference I see is that Hal Smith was more "jolly" for lack of a better term (especially his laugh) and still, with 3 Mary Barclays--there is one REAL Mary, although I don't know if she was the first, or which one.
If I remember correctly, the only reason there were two Jasons is that the first time we heard Jason, he wasn't a regular character. (In "The Mortal Coil II") Then they decided to make him a regular character when Hal Smith died, so they gave the part to Townsend Coleman.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Even in MC 2, it seems that the personality was sort of there to begin with though.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Evil Chick wrote:
pinkjeans92 wrote:Two Jasons? I don't remember that I don't think...also, there isn't that much different in the 2 Whit's because the character didn't change much. The only difference I see is that Hal Smith was more "jolly" for lack of a better term (especially his laugh) and still, with 3 Mary Barclays--there is one REAL Mary, although I don't know if she was the first, or which one.
If I remember correctly, the only reason there were two Jasons is that the first time we heard Jason, he wasn't a regular character. (In "The Mortal Coil II") Then they decided to make him a regular character when Hal Smith died, so they gave the part to Townsend Coleman.
And now you write what I'm thinking ^_^
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Jonathan wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:
And now you write what I'm thinking ^_^
:D Yay! How fun! \:D/
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Evil Chick wrote: If I remember correctly, the only reason there were two Jasons is that the first time we heard Jason, he wasn't a regular character. (In "The Mortal Coil II") Then they decided to make him a regular character when Hal Smith died, so they gave the part to Townsend Coleman.
Ah, thanks, now I remember that he sounded different. Stupid, stupid me...well, just forgetful :anxious:

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Three stars. It dragged along and repeated itself several times too many. They clearly showed Eugenes despair at never having his father back and being normal; they showed his fathers fear, both long before the library scene. They didn't need to have some many instances. It just slowed the story down.

PJ was the best part. An interesting character, I hope we see more of him.

Basically a slow episode, and yet rushed. They slowly went through all the feelings Eugene had, and then WHAM his dad decides to risk it. It was like singing a lullabye at noon, waiting till the person is almost sleeping, then setting off a fire alarm.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Lord_Kappa wrote:.
PJ was the best part. An interesting character, I hope we see more of him.
Shadowpaw posted earlier in the thread to clarify that it was not PJ that we heard as the cool gas station guy. :(
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

:(Oh well.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Do you know what I just realized? Connie hasn't been in any of the episodes about Eugene's search for his father. It makes sense - it doesn't involve her or anything - but it'd be nice to hear her perspective on all of this.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's a good point, Lizzie! :-k I guess they didn't want to add to things by having another character there that didn't need to be there, but I also would like to hear what she thinks about this. Bernard too - he used to be Eugene's only family. Now that's changing. And even Whit - I know that Whit is great and perfect and that's all good, but he's been Eugene's father figure for a really, really long time. I think Eugene even calls him his spiritual father figure or something like that. What does this mean for Whit and Eugene's relationship if Eugene's dad is back? I'm not saying that it makes Whit superfluous, but it would change things, at least temporarily, wouldn't it?
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

It seems that all the old characters have been fading as Eugene and his father (and all the people in Africa) have become more dominet. I miss them all, personally. I mean, when was the last time we heard from Jack and Tom? And Bernard? And Connie...it seems that she'd be in at least some of these! Also, we have to find out what happens to Mandy. I hope that they don't just focus on Eugene/his dad for the entire season, I mean, I know they won't but still...