574: "Prisoners of Fear I"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

The typical star rankings....

5 Stars
65%
4 Stars
30%
3 Stars
5%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 43

Me
An original

574: "Prisoners of Fear I"

Post by Me »

Discuss!!!

And will a mod please lock this until Saturday?
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Is it just me, or was that not WORD FOR WORD...or very close to it, from the Clubhouse article? I kept expecting it to veer off, but it never did.

That said, I still liked the story either way...I just wish I hadn't read that article first.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'm posting my review in a reasonable amount of time this week:

In the review I wrote for last weeks episode I quoted myself from last spring, and I’m going to do that again:

Is this really 2005? I can scarcely believe it. Sounds more like 1995 to me.

I didn’t think things could’ve gotten much better then last week (which was one of the best slice of life eps ever imo) but it did. Like last week, there is tons to like here.

First, I think this is the best performance by Will Ryan since his return. Actually, all the acting was great (though I’m still adjusting to Katrina).

Second, nearly all the scenes were outstanding. The first one that stood out for me was the parachute scene. I had to chuckle at Eugene’s reaction heading downward. Innovative as well, hearing them from the ground as if we were looking up at them. Other ones that stood out were their interactions with the tribe.

Another thing I’ve noticed (and for some reason, it’s become more prevelant since Eugene’s return) is how simple everyday dialouge is being used. Nothing wacky, far out, or etc, just normal good dialouge. Which is good for three reasons: 1.That’s one of the elements that has driven the series. 2.The episodes are better as a result. 3.The episodes are more believable and it helps us to relate to the characters (another essential part of the series).

Another observation is how some of the details lined up with the Clubhouse article which recently appeared online (and which I liked very much btw). Despite this, I think the only thing revealed to us is the tower will work eventually. The main part of the story was not in any way revealed to us in that article. Which, imo, is good.

The music and sound design were also absolutely amazing. John Cambell (assuming he did the music) outdid himself.

One thing I can see people complaining about is that it was a tad predictable. We all knew that there would be a revelation about Leonard at the end of the episode because the tribe (in Africa) recognized Eugene. To that potential complaint, I ask: So what? 1. (and this first one is aimed to the older members who are likely to issue this complaint) While AIO aims to all ages to some degree, it is chiefly a kids show, so we really have no right to complain about this and 2. As far as I’m concerned it did not take away from the show (either the story or the quality).

One final thing; I was thrilled that we will finally hear what happened to Leonard Meltsner. Personally, I’m hoping he’s not alive, for continuity (but if he is alive, I'm sure not going to complain about it). I was also thrilled that the other main guess about this ep on the ToO (by Chandler) was correct.

That’s all I can say really, for now at least. It’s quite a challenge writing a review for a three part when I’ve only heard the first part. However, it was a great episode, and one that left us hanging for next week. And a great next week I'm sure it will be. Once again, 5/5.

-Jonathan
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jonathan wrote:One thing I can see people complaining about is that it was a tad predictable. We all knew that there would be a revelation about Leonard at the end of the episode because the tribe (in Africa) recognized Eugene. To that potential complaint, I ask: So what? 1. (and this first one is aimed to the older members who are likely to issue this complaint) While AIO aims to all ages to some degree, it is chiefly a kids show, so we really have no right to complain about this and 2. As far as I’m concerned it did not take away from the show (either the story or the quality).
I guessed it as soon as Aman (or however you spell her name) said that Katrina looked different so she must be the second wife. We know from "Last of a Long Line" that Eugene is the "spitting image" of his father. :)

However, for the childrens' sake, I don't think this will be much of a problem. When I was young, I wouldn't have guessed the twist. Age has certainly helped me pick up subtler signs as has reading a lot of detective stories and stories with a twist at the end. I'm much better at guessing outcomes now. :razz:
Jonathan wrote:One final thing; I was thrilled that we will finally hear what happened to Leonard Meltsner. Personally, I’m hoping he’s not alive, for continuity.
It seems like we would have heard of him if he were alive since it's been some time since Eugene's experience in Africa and Eugene has been back in Odyssey for a bit. But we'll see. The sneak previews/spoilers sound as though something tragic happened. :(
Jonathan wrote:I was also thrilled that the other main guess about this ep on the ToO (by Chandler) was correct.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty neat. O:)
JesusFreak777 wrote:Is it just me, or was that not WORD FOR WORD...or very close to it, from the Clubhouse article? I kept expecting it to veer off, but it never did.

That said, I still liked the story either way...I just wish I hadn't read that article first.
Well, there were a lot of similarities, but we know from the end of the show as well as from the sneak previews (aka spoilers) that this three-parter is going to have way more content in the next 2 shows! =D>
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Wow. All I can say is wow. The first scene was literally jaw dropping. Like Jonathan said, it was like '95 dejavu (sp?). Overall a very strong ep, and the final scene was also one of the most amazing things I have heard in a long time. Music and sound design were also superb. I'm pretty sure I already know which ep I'll be voting for in the end of season awards.

Just a few nitpicky problems, but if film school wasn't turning me into such a critic, I never would have noticed.

Superb ep. 5 stars.

Oh, and can a mod add the 1 Star option to the poll? It was there when I created it, but seems to be gone now.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

To add to my earlier post. I really realyl enjoyed the episode, probably one of my favorites in a long time. I was just surprised at how much the two were alike. (Chandler, I avoid the teasers for this very reason...I wanna be surprised)

I loved the dialogue, and the story itelf. Definately a keeper. \:D/
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

JesusFreak777 wrote:To add to my earlier post. I really realyl enjoyed the episode, probably one of my favorites in a long time. I was just surprised at how much the two were alike. (Chandler, I avoid the teasers for this very reason...I wanna be surprised)
The Clubhouse article is relatively minor in the scheme of important events that are happening to Eugene right now. But it's true that the article parallels parts of the show very closely. I think that also explains why the original cover art shown for the "Mystery of the Lost Village" (45a) was the picture of Eugene from the Clubhouse article.

Oh, and I should write a review eventually, shouldn't I? :lol:
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I agree. This episode was amazing. Now I can only pray that it stays this way

Looking forward to hearing next week!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Wow, this was a great episode. I was impressed also with the normal dialogue and the music was awesome! I will say that I didn't catch the part about the second wife the first time I listened to it, so I had absolutely no clue what would happen, which was kinda cool. I can't wait to hear what will happen in the next two weeks, and I'm sure it will be as good as this. On thing I did notice was that Eugene didn't quite seem like himself in the past couple episodes. I don't know if it's just different writers, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, I give this episode a rating of 4/5 stars.
...I hate marquees.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I agree with everyone else who posted here: That was an amazing episode!!! I can't wait to hear the other parts! I won't really post a review until I've heard all three parts, but this episode has most definite potential! :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Arwen wrote:I agree. This episode was amazing. Now I can only pray that it stays this way

Looking forward to hearing next week!
thats about all i have to say
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

This was an amazing episode. I rated 5. Before the end, about midway, I was thinking, why is this going to take 3 episodes? What else is going to happen? I was so wrong! I think the twist at the end was really good. Even before the twist, it was a 4 or 5 episode! More review to come later!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

One of the best episodes in a long time... but as soon as they landed and the one woman recognized Eugene (before the 2nd wife bit) I knew what was happening...
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I'm saving my full review untill I hear all three, but I liked this episode. The older AIO listeners have been given enough information along the way that we can put two and two together to determine that this would be an episode where Eugene finds out what happened to his parents. Overall I liked this episode and I can't wait for the other two episodes.

Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Wow.

This is one the of the best episodes I've ever heard. The ending surprised me, I wasn't thinking too much about Leonard. I guessed something was up when Eugene was recognized.

Thw acting was suberb, in my estimation. As wel as the music and effects, as always. I'm not going to say too much until I've heard them all, but I hope that the other two are as awesome as this one!

And I thought the parachute scene was hilarious. :D
Me
An original

Post by Me »

AIOFan11 wrote:This was an amazing episode. I rated 5. Before the end, about midway, I was thinking, why is this going to take 3 episodes? What else is going to happen? I was so wrong! I think the twist at the end was really good. Even before the twist, it was a 4 or 5 episode! More review to come later!
Along these lines, one thing I forgot to mention was that the pacing was superb. Recently, it seems like many eps have been rushed, trying to get through too much information in too little time. This time it was not the case. Absolutely superb all around.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Me wrote:
AIOFan11 wrote:This was an amazing episode. I rated 5. Before the end, about midway, I was thinking, why is this going to take 3 episodes? What else is going to happen? I was so wrong! I think the twist at the end was really good. Even before the twist, it was a 4 or 5 episode! More review to come later!
Along these lines, one thing I forgot to mention was that the pacing was superb. Recently, it seems like many eps have been rushed, trying to get through too much information in too little time. This time it was not the case. Absolutely superb all around.
I agree! Sounds Like a Mystery was the worst! It seemed like they had no time!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Brian wrote:One of the best episodes in a long time... but as soon as they landed and the one woman recognized Eugene (before the 2nd wife bit) I knew what was happening...
I didn't quite go that far because I thought that she might be thinking of some legend or god or something. That has really happened in the past. But when she made the point that Katrina was different, then I suspected it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I would *hope* there isn't a pagan god that looks like Eugene... ;)
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I'm listening to it right now.

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny