597: "Out of Our Hands"

Discussion, Spoilers, etc

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How wouldst thou rate this episode?

5 STARS! It could only be better if Top wrote it!
34%
4 STARS! Really great episode, equal with eating pizza!
36%
3 STARS! Not hideously revolting, yet not humongously riveting, either.
18%
2 STARS! Well, I'm certainly glad I didn't have to pay to hear that, but I guess it was acceptable as free entertainment.
9%
1 STAR!... WARS: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
2%

Total votes: 44

Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I gave it 5. Just for the sole reason that Mandy's voice acting was... priceless. I didn't like the fact Mandy wrote the script, but I did like the cheesy ending in the play... 'Yaaay!'

It could only have been better if Top wrote it...
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Dr. Watson wrote:I voted 3. It wasn't terrible, but nothing reached out and grabbed me to say, "This is a great episode."

:anxious:
Yeah, I feel the same way. It's nice to move the divorce story along but nothing really jumped out with this episode.

One thing I wish was written a little better was the scene where Connie comforts Mandy towards the end. What's great is that she reminds her, and everyone else, that she went through a divorce too. But I really wish she would have told a little story about her experience to help comfort. Maybe she could tell the story of what happened in "Father's Day," maybe she could tell us some new story we've never heard before... either way, I thought a whole lot more could have been done with the scene.

It is nice, however to come full circle in Odyssey. The topic of Connie and her father hasn't surfaced in years but it's nice to have a character with so much background in the area of divorce when someone new is experiencing it. Hopefully there will be more and better scenes between Connie and Mandy coming up.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I gave it 4 stars, same as Cover of Darkness, but this one moved me more than last week's episode did.

The 4 stars were for the implausiblities of her parents going along with the play through to its completion (as affecting as that was), and other scenes. (I only heard it once, and that was Saturday, so I may need to give it a re-listen to remember which ones...)

I thought the acting was great, especially Aria as Mandy. I'm glad that everything wasn't all taken care of in this episode. Yes, nothing really happened, but to patch things up too quickly would be unrealistic.

I felt involved in the story, and David's voice didn't bother me. I also loved the Mandy-mom and Mandy-Connie interactions.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Sarai Binghamton wrote:I gave it 5. Just for the sole reason that Mandy's voice acting was... priceless. I didn't like the fact Mandy wrote the script, but I did like the cheesy ending in the play... 'Yaaay!'

It could only have been better if Top wrote it...
I also liked the emotionally charged 'Yaaay!' at the end. However, I ended up voting a 2 despite the presence of what I thought to be good acting. The lesson: I'm not dealing with a split family (I know many are, though), and it's hard to go from specific to general in terms of application. Like Applesauce (I think it was him), I thought the dissecting scene was forced and came out cheesy, but maybe that's just me. I don't see this episode as one I will ever go out out of my way to listen to again. I didn't think it was horrible, just below average.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Applesauce wrote:I understand if they couldn't get the original voice actor for David back, but couldn't they at least get a real teen? And the same goes for David's friend (although at least Greg Cipes is in his mid-20's).
First Scott Menville and now Greg Cipes. Are we gonna be hearing Tara Strong and Hynden Walch next?

I gave it 5/5. The only thing is I think the roses thing was slightly silly, but it didn't take away much from the episode.
querida
I've been here a bit

Post by querida »

I loved this episode. and Now More Then Ever. my friend is going through that and it really hit home.
maybe its not the destination, maybe it's the journey

<3 Dasey <3
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Elrohir wrote:
Applesauce wrote:I understand if they couldn't get the original voice actor for David back, but couldn't they at least get a real teen? And the same goes for David's friend (although at least Greg Cipes is in his mid-20's).
First Scott Menville and now Greg Cipes. Are we gonna be hearing Tara Strong and Hynden Walch next?

I gave it 5/5. The only thing is I think the roses thing was slightly silly, but it didn't take away much from the episode.
Hmm...everyone keeps mentioning the roses, but for some reason that didn't bother me at all... :-k
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Elrohir wrote:
:hilarious: Seriously though, that would be freaky.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
FluteBoy
Gold Member

Post by FluteBoy »

I just listened to this on Oneplace.org. It really touched a chord with me, as it is exactly what I went through when my parents split up and exactly the direction one of my younger brothers went because of it. Wow.
Anyway, I'll alert Aria that this episode has aired (ironically she's usually the LAST person to know when one of her episodes is on) and see if she might say a word or two about it. My guess is she'll want to hear the episode, too, as she generally has not heard the finished performance until it is released.
As usual, I didn't vote as I think my voting on any episode featuring Aria could probably be considered hopelessly biased;)

Cheers,
Zac