598: "My Favorite Thing"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

how many stars

5 stars in our eyes
20%
4 star trek
37%
3 stargate
17%
2 star wars
13%
1 a cloudy night
13%

Total votes: 46

Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

598: "My Favorite Thing"

Post by Mr.Whit »

lock please until saturday
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I must ask. Why is star wars only 2? :x
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Adrian wrote:I must ask. Why is star wars only 2? :x
I second that! It should be 5! :insane:
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

Trek shjould be 5 star wars is in the right place but Stargate should be 1... anyways The show was ok but but not the best.. I think thats mostly becasue i was hoping it would either be about Eugene or Mandy.. mostly mandy.
Lea
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

4 Stars. I laughed out loud several times. Was that Pam Hayden as Doris because she was not menioned at the end ? It was so good to hear from her again. Bart and Doris are awesome together. I liked Marvin and the bathrooom guy, Several parts were hilarious. 4 stars.
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

only 4?
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I liked it but I'm sure Doris' voice was played by the new Katrina. I was glad to have Doris back but she wasn't as outageous as in Aloha Oy. My favorite part is when Tamika is telling that guy about his lobster, "Umm, waiter, did you happen to hear my lobster scream as it was coing out of the tank?"
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I voted 2 Stars but only because I think it was at least an 4 or 4.5 and thats what Star Wars should of been.
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

I voted it a five! That was a really funny episode. Good job, Mary Fritson! =D>
Favorite line:"How would you like it if a lobster boiled you alive?!"
Doris was played by Dianne Sue,courtesy of AIOSF.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

I know that often they can’t keep the same actors and actresses and it will take some getting used to but I believe that Doris was played by a different actress. I think I preferred her just not being written into the show. The Doris in this show seemed forced some how…maybe I’m being over critical, I’m sorry, but it was bugging me….

The toilet waiter was great and Elaine did seem natural in her response to being kidnapped and such. I particularly enjoyed Marvin in this episode.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

OrigamiKid wrote:I know that often they can’t keep the same actors and actresses and it will take some getting used to but I believe that Doris was played by a different actress. I think I preferred her just not being written into the show. The Doris in this show seemed forced some how…maybe I’m being over critical, I’m sorry, but it was bugging me….

The toilet waiter was great and Elaine did seem natural in her response to being kidnapped and such. I particularly enjoyed Marvin in this episode.

~OrigamiKid
as did I
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

The new Doris (at least I hope it was the new Doris): Bravo! I didn’t notice a difference or even remember there was a new Doris until the first break. Also, the episode succeeded in capturing her penny-pinching ways (reminds me of her Aloha Oy! haggling).

The message emphasized the simple times you have with the people you love. Elaine Washington blindfolding her three immediate family members made the lesson particularly effective. It brought the episode full circle by ending with the same thing it started with—a plus for Mary Fritson. I agree with OrigamiKid that Elaine seemed natural.

I don’t not like silliness (the double negative says it best) and even enjoyed some of the silly moments including Marvin’s two interviews. However, Tamika’s lobster capers didn’t work for me, nor did the earring in Doris’ mouth (which reminded me of the fish in Bart’s mouth from Sunday Morning Scramble). (I recognize that these parts surely can be funny to others. Perhaps it would have been funnier to me when I was 10.) This episode delivered a good message in a comical way, but the complete silliness makes me give it an average rating (3). Status quo for Odyssey isn’t bad. It sounded like natural AIO, whatever that is.

Another note: The equation Rathbones + Washingtons = Comedy has now been used twice. It has worked, but I hope it doesn’t become an overused template.
Bmuntz wrote:I voted 2 Stars but only because I think it was at least an 4 or 4.5 and thats what Star Wars should of been.
I think you should vote based on the number of stars, not the descriptions beside them. :)
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I give it 4 stars. I like how they set up bart and doris with the Washingtons. I think doris was played by a new actress, but whoever it was did a great job :D I like the different schemes that bart comes up with to try to make the Washington's pay for their meal. I like how doris continues to want to take free "souvenirs" and how she brings up the whole "you don't respect me" Tamika is funny especially with her scene with a character played by Marshall Younger (at least I think it was him :-k ) but I don't remember them ever saying before that Tamika was an animal lover. Marvin was really funny too with the bathroom attendant. Favorite Line: Doris: "Remember at your school reuninon and you told everyone I was your maid!" :D
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Upon reading this thread I remembered that I have never heard "Sunday Morning Scramble". I must remedy that...soon!

"My Favorite Thing" is an episode that I had been both anticipating and dreading for a while (ever since learning that Doris wouldn't be played by Pam). Doris has such a unique voice and personality, I knew there was no way another actress could even come close to matching it. But Dianne Sue did. Oh, sure, it wasn't perfect. You could definitely tell it was a different actress (particularly when she cried), but it was a much better "replacement" than I ever expected! =D> Now, that said, there was still something about her performance that bugged me, but I can't quite place it. It might partly be the fault of Walker Edminston's acting. It seemed whenever the two of them had a conversation, something was missing. I'm beginning to wonder if Doris' part was recorded separately.

As for the episode itself, it was a fun one. It's certainly one I won't mind listening to multiple times. But it is a bit over the top. I thought Marvin's conversation with the Maitre'D was a bit disrespectful (though I loved his conversation with the bathroom waiter), and Tamika's continual rant about lobsters was way too much! (I think she got a few years younger in this episode.) :anxious: Also, the music was a bit too frequent and overdone as well. Still, all in all, it's an enjoyable episode! I really liked the concept, and I thought it had a great ending, for the same reasons that Itaque stated.

It was a tough decision between 3 and 4 stars, but I gave it 4. \:D/
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Wow; the new actress for Doris did a good job.

I'm rating it a 4. Since I'm too lazy, again, I'll let my above statement be my review.

edit-Ok, I wrote this shortly before it ended, but,

This was written by someone new?

I'm impressed.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

From the second sentence she spoke, I could tell Doris was played by a different person (but of course, I was expecting that). To me, at least, the dialogue/acting was much more forced, as if she were trying too hard to be funny and say everything that Doris "was supposed to say." That said, however, I DO think the new actress did an admirable job imitating Pam - much better than I'd expected. Doris was never that big of a character, though, so that switch bothers me less with her than that of Katrina.

On to the episode. I gave it 4 stars right after I heard it yesterday, but this 4 was significantly lower than that of the previous two. I'm not a big fan of the Washingtons, but I'm starting to warm up to them - at least in the sense that I'll tolerate them as long as I'm not comparing them to the Barclays, or anyone else who was around during Odyssey's golden age.

Two of the funniest scenes were the ones with Martin and the bathroom attendant, and Tamika and Marshall Younger's character, but most of the rest of the "humor" was over-the-top. Combiining the Rathbones and the Washingtons isn't my choice brand of comedy.

You could say that I gave this episode 4 stories for the combination of Doris and the unforced funniness, but I'd say I was just in a generous mood yesterday \:D/
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

*coughcoughitshouldbeonecough*
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

I only gave it a 3....sorry...I thought it was kind of corny....
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Elrohir wrote:
*coughcoughitshouldbeonecough*
*coughcoughcoughitshouldbefivecough*
fatlooy
Sing in the sunshine

Post by fatlooy »

i hated dorisis new voce from the first word she said i could tell it wasent her plus the acting wasent as good achuly it was really bad but i liked the rest of the episode.