604: "Like Father, Like Wooton"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

So, how was it?

5 Stars: One of the Best
19%
4 Stars: Above Average
31%
3 Stars: Average
36%
2 Stars: Below Average
11%
1 Star: One of the Worst
3%

Total votes: 36

Taq
A great mapmaker

604: "Like Father, Like Wooton"

Post by Taq »

Review the show starting Saturday!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I'm sad to say that this was a very weak episode. There was very little depth to the story. The characters were badly used--mostly Connie. Wooton wasn't very well written for this show. Humour was nowhere to be found--only for the 6-year-old audience. And that's what it was; Adventure in Odyssey Jr. It's a Family Show, folks, not a "1-2-3-Count-with-Odyssey" program. And the tough-guy-Max hanging with little Grady? Bizzare.

Very disapointing.

Bennett
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

It was average when compared to many of the new shows, however it was quite shallow and silly compared to the old ones.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I have to say that I was very disappointed in this episode. When I first saw the title for this episode, I was very eager to hear it and I was thinking and hoping it would deal with Wooton and his family because I really liked those episodes. I thought the Connie with the clowns section was really uninteresting and they could've done something much better with Connie's part. It's not that I didn't like Grady and Wooton in this episode, but they could've done a lot of more interesting and comical ideas with them. 3/5 stars
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I agree with agent. 3/5 for me too.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I was disappointed. Wasn't really that great, It was pretty weak, like BC said.. 2/5
...I hate marquees.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I really hate to rate it this low, but I'm going to give it a 2/5. :( While I usually LOVE Wooton, this show was very "over the top" in my opinion. The clown thing was just strange - especially Connie's little undercover act.

I did like the part with Wooton talking to Grady - it just shows how caring Wooton is. :)
Did you notice that the funnel cake lady/clown was Mrs. Jacob's voice? \:D/ At least, that's who it sounded like to me...

Like agent3xq, I was hoping for and expecting an episode on Wooton's family. That would be very interesting to hear sometime.

Overall, I would have to say that this episode was below average. :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

To be perfectly honest, I found several of the Wooten/Grady scenes to be rather touching. Definitely not the best Wooten/Grady show, but parts of it were still very good. Connie's part in the story was just weird, though. Going undercover as a clown? Come on! And when I heard the scene where the clown lady came out and gave her "confession" about writing the book, I just had to lean back in my chair and roll my eyes. :roll: The background sounds of the audience reacting the whole way through just made it even more lame.

I'm giving this episode a 3 rating (and I'm probably being generous).
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I'd like a copy of "How 77 clowns fit in a car". The other point was that Grady said "More wronger." Which is perfect.

Those two things were the only good things I could point out, it was a pretty average episode.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Perhaps I should have listened to the episode before reading some of the reviews here. I was bracing myself for a lousy show, but was pleasantly surprised with the overall content and storyline. I definitely felt the Connie parts with the clown were a bit over the top and somewhat unbelievable, but its humor was not lost on me and I enjoyed that part at the very least. ;)

Bennett addressed the peculiarity of tough guy Max "hanging out" with Grady. You'd have to clarify to what extent Max "hung out" with Grady, because I certainly didn't feel any buddy-buddy love between the two characters. From the moment Max started bragging about his dad, I could sense some cold air between Max and Grady. Max played the perfect antagonist to Grady's protagonist and I wouldn't have used any other character to play the role of "bad guy."
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Zelda Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Zelda Jacobs »

I personally thought it was a great ep! :thumbsup: I've always have in enjoyed the Wooton eps, not so much the Grady though. I gave it 5 stars, but I guess I was the only one who did so. :anxious:
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Zelda Jacobs wrote:I've always have in enjoyed the Wooton eps, not so much the Grady though.
I always like Wooton too...which is why I really thought I'd like today's episode. I think the best part of it was Wooton and Grady's interaction, and if the rest of the show had been better, it would have gotten a much higher rating from me. :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was kind of surprised to see all the negative comments, because I enjoyed this episode. It wasn't the best ever, but some of the Wooton/Grady stuff was quite touching, and I enjoyed the reappearance of Wooton's love for funnel cakes. :lol: Connie was a little over the top, but I kind of liked the clown stuff. I can see this as an episode that I'll enjoy listening to again.

Like Trent, I got the impression that Max and Grady weren't hanging out, but that Max was looking for opportunities to be annoying and try to make Grady's life miserable. That isn't unrealistic, based on what we know about Grady. He also isn't totally evil, so the end stuff was drastically different than what we know about Grady either.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Three stars.

The Wooten/Grady aspect was the highlight of the show, even though I'm a recent Wooten fan. And I think I might finally be starting to like Grady too.

However, I agree that the Connie clown part was too over-the-top. In fact, it seemed very out of place. Connie hasn't really had that much substance this season, and I hope that changes soon!
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Prancer wrote:To be perfectly honest, I found several of the Wooten/Grady scenes to be rather touching. Definitely not the best Wooten/Grady show, but parts of it were still very good. Connie's part in the story was just weird, though. Going undercover as a clown? Come on! And when I heard the scene where the clown lady came out and gave her "confession" about writing the book, I just had to lean back in my chair and roll my eyes. :roll: The background sounds of the audience reacting the whole way through just made it even more lame.

I'm giving this episode a 3 rating (and I'm probably being generous).
I agree...though, I really would like to know how 70-howevermanyitwas clowns fit in a car :anxious: is there really a book like that...

and the CCC...wow...*clears throat* I had no idea that clowns were secret agents--I mean, I would have that Jason would have said something about it, seeing as they would have been his co-workers :-s :-

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

There's a hole in the floor right under the car, and they climb in through that. :-$
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I didn't really like it. I had to restart the first scene three times b/c I kept zoning out; and it went downhill from there. Maybe another listen'll help.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

underdogfan710 wrote:There's a hole in the floor right under the car, and they climb in through that. :-$
Really, now...and how would you know that? *gasp* you're not an clown that's spilling the secrets are you? I'd have to turn you in...though, I don't know any clowns to turn you in to.:shame:

Minus the whole clown fiasco, I think it would have been a better ep...I already said that I liked the Wooton/Grady parts.

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Max probing Grady about his dad reminded me of Brooke being questioned about her dad in "Where's Your Daddy," which just aired this past Thursday.

Connie going undercover reminded me of her stakeout in "Living in the Gray" (forget which part).

Grady wanting to show a father to Max the heckler was realistic. Wooton confronting Grady about the deception was a great scene. Wooton was gently convicting, and Grady showed intense anguish.

Should I be ashamed to state that I enjoyed Connie's communication with the clowns? I did get pleasure from the initial Connie-head honcho interaction.

I thought the show was average but wasn't as disappointed as some of you.
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

Three Stars

Overall Very Good Episode.

Interesting, had a moral.. it's um.. average