570: "For Better or for Worse I"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "For Better or for Worse, Part 1"?

5 Stars - Extraordinary!
27%
4 Stars - Fantastic!
62%
3 Stars - Satisfactory!
8%
2 Stars - Disappointing!
3%
1 Star - Terrible!
No votes

Total votes: 37

MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

yea i feel the same way with the voice change it seems she had a personality change
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I also do not like Katrina's new voice. :noway:

But other than that, it was a great episode!! I love Connie and Eugene's interaction, Tom and Bernard, and Bart being his normal self. :D

I look forward to next week!

3/5 stars.
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

Chandler wrote: I adjusted to the new Whit because I had no choice. Hal Smith is dead.
When I consider how close it appears we were to getting Pam Hayden back, I can only keep hoping she will return yet. :pray:

The voice difference is so clear to me (clearer than when I first heard the new Whit), that I feel like it's an entirely different person that Eugene married. ](*,)
This sums up my feelings exactly.
Last edited by Fletcher on Sat May 14, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

:anxious: I wrote that... not Flyah.
Bandit Squirrel
OK

Post by Bandit Squirrel »

I thought the episode was definately believable. My one objection is Katrina's new voice. I kept forgetting that that was Katrina. Other than that, I think the episode was excellent.
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

Chandler wrote::anxious: I wrote that... not Flyah.
Sorry #-o I must have accidently erased your name because you quoted Flyah in the post I quoted from you.
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Fletcher wrote:
Sorry #-o I must have accidently erased your name because you quoted Flyah in the post I quoted from you.
No problem. :) It was kind of creepy because I was expecting to read something Flyah wrote and then I thought, "Hey I wrote that!" :-#
Me
An original

Post by Me »

The episode was very enjoyable. I once again felt as if I was listening to a classic episode. Once again, I credit this to excellent writing, and the character of Eugene. Another thing that I noticed was that Bernard's humor seemed much less contrived than it has in past episodes. It was more natural, less obtrusive, and more fitting with his character. Eugene's poor execution of the kidnapping plan was classic, showing all we love about Eugene. I also liked the reference to Naturally I Assumed ("virtually seven AM"). It was also good to see that Connie still has Connie-like responses in various situations, getting angry, and trying to outdo the competition. I gave this ep 4 stars, merely because I feel that 5 is reserved for those truly exceptional episodes like The Time Has Come. I really enjoyed these episodes, and am really excited about the trends we have been seeing this season.

As for Katrina's new voice, we have already discussed this at length, and Nathan knows how we feel. For those of us who don't like it, myself included, there is nothing that can be done about it for the present. The team is doing the best they can. I think that we should stop griping about it, and move on.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Me wrote:I also liked the reference to Naturally I Assumed ("virtually seven AM").
I noticed that too! :D
Me wrote:As for Katrina's new voice, we have already discussed this at length, and Nathan knows how we feel. For those of us who don't like it, myself included, there is nothing that can be done about it for the present. The team is doing the best they can. I think that we should stop griping about it, and move on.
I'm not trying to gripe about it. :( I just want the Odyssey team to know that the fans would be very happy if Pam Hayden returns but we're not picking on Audrey's acting abilities. :boohoo:
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Chandler wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
No problem. :) It was kind of creepy because I was expecting to read something Flyah wrote and then I thought, "Hey I wrote that!" :-#
Are you saying what I write is 'creepy'! O:)
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Dr. Watson wrote:Since I haven't heard the voice of the old Katrina in quite some time, I am quite at ease with the new actor. I think she does a marvelous job and still has Katrinaness about her.
I agree. I wasn't even thinking about the voice during the ep.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Flyah wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
Are you saying what I write is 'creepy'! O:)
Of course not! :-

(It's just creepy to be mistaken for you. :anxious:)
Omega
Gold Member

Post by Omega »

4 stars.
It's great to have Eugene back isn't it? :)
I liked this week's show except it was kinda odd having Tom Riley and Bernard Walton goofing off together.
It was inevitable that Eugene and Katrina get stranded out in the middle of nowhere and miss their wedding. And it was really obvious that Eugene was going to be a real bonehead and try the whole convertible with the flowers in the back thing and that he would try to be a knight in shining armor. Eugene always seems to try things that other people did without considering that they may not work for him. I wonder what kind of disasters can happen in the next show. Maybe a minor fire and maybe a few more changes to the wedding. :-k
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I will comment...late, as usual.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, Connie and Millie's feud is quite humorous. As are Tom and Bernard and their struggles over the music! Eugene, well...he's Eugene!

As for the new Katrina...yes, people say we should just accept her, but I can't bring myself to realize that it is Katrina. Her voice is so different, I wasn't sure who was talking at first, when she came back. The "new" Whit and the "old" Whit's voices are so much closer sounding than this Katrina and the old one.

So, about 3/5 for this episode.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Bearliz wrote: The "new" Whit and the "old" Whit's voices are so much closer sounding than this Katrina and the old one.
I disagree. The Whit voices are more different...
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Flyah wrote:
Bearliz wrote: The "new" Whit and the "old" Whit's voices are so much closer sounding than this Katrina and the old one.

I disagree. The Whit voices are more different...
There is a difference.
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

**My Review copied and Pasted from the Town-Hall: (And, yes, this is my first post at these boards...so, celebration is on.)**

"REVIEW:"

What are the chances...

It's rather hard to give a full review on half a show. It would be like stopping a movie part-way and telling people weither you enjoyed it or not. Odyssey episodes with several parts aren't really sequels, but more extended stories chopped up into pieces...with the sole purpose to annoy you for a week.

Thank you Lord for Odyssey on CD.

Anyways, yes, my review. I was expecting this Kathy Wierenga Production to be highly hectic with several things happening at once while trying to extend the character's personnalities to the point that we clinch when we hear them say something that doesn't seem to line up with their personality. Yeah, that would sum up the episode right there.

Again, I have to wait until next week to actually say, 'Yes, I enjoy it. No doubt about it, this will sweep up every award at the End of Season Awards.'

However, many things can be said. First off, my Post-Epiosde worries, ideas, and insights:

Their are many characters that can play one another, and that have been around for a while, and have also impacted the minds of children. I call them the 'Favorite-Five'; Whit, Tom, Bernard, Jack and Jason. It's been nearly an eternity since we've heard them all in one episode. But, I'm sure each and every one of us feel a sence of loss when we take notice that one of these characters did not play a part in another person's life. Take Bernard for example. I was sad that he wasn't around during Novacom (minus one episode), or Jack and Jason during Eugene's homecoming, or most of them during Connie's graduation and not to mention, her wedding in Washington DC!

Though, the realism is that it's not possible to have all of them jam packed into one episode. There are too many. (Besides, Connie hogs up all the room) (hehe...). And so, I was wondering which characters would they be chosing to take part in Eugene's wedding. Besides, every one of them had taken part with his relationship with Katrina:

-Bernard and Tom were completely against the idea.
-Jason nearly got them broken up
-Jack did also, but offered a christian viewpoint
-Whit saw the beggining, and is apparently seeing the end. Their was much that he missed out on in between.

So, curious about this, I listened to the preview to this episode, and it would seem that Whit, Bernard and Tom were taken from that list.

Which makes sence...Odyssey has a knack of having little spurts of characters. It would be too confusing to have Tom and Bernard in this season's three parter, and suddenly replace them with Jason and Jack for this 2nd parter. You might as well keep a balanced cast for the same season so that the listeners don't get confused.

Speaking of which, this may well be the most episodes Bernard has ever been in in a season since the 'Wish you were Here,' Era.

Since I'm on a roll with characters, I have to say that Katrina's actress is sounding more and more like the Katrina of old. I don't get what it is, but, to be honest, I didn't notice anything different when I started listening to this episode. She sounded almost identical to her. And I thought to myself; for someone to sound THAT identical is pretty good. Oh sure, when she starts speaking a certain way she gets more nasaly, and that's when it's obvious. But for the short sentences and quick responses...man she's got it right on the nail.

Mr. Hoobler was right; I do believe we need to give her a chance. Sure, the chemistry between the two actors may seem a little different; but that could be inside our heads too.

It's amusing, because people tend to doubt weither a character would do something they just did simply because they have a different voice. Otherwise, if it was the same actress, we'd accept anything she'd do. Would Katrina really have stood up to her mother? Well, technically, we haven't had enough background between the two characters to say either yes or no.

Speaking of the mother; I didn't really enjoy her. Which is why I say thank-goodness that the show wasn't about just her and Connie competing. It would've made for a very bad episode. Too bad, Armitage Shanks isn't still alive, he couldv'e slipped into her lines and made a much better delivery.

And the final point on character would be Bart Rathbone's presence. I sincerely hope that he has a bigger part in next week's episode. Just because Tom is in the episode and he plays Bart Rathbone, doesn't mean Bart has to automatically be around. Still, he made a very funny sidekick for Mrs. Shanks. But, I'd like to see his involvement rise.

Probably my favorite parts of this episode would be the Bachelor's Party. It was long, but filled with some of the most unique conversations in Odyssey History. I also enjoyed the fact that we got to hear about these character's past weddings and how Eugene took their ideas and applied it to his own.

In the end, the episode is left in an interesting predicament. The chances of all of this happening is almost absurb, but succeeds in good radio. Hopefully we get a nice climax during the 2nd part, with a little more heart. Someone needs to have a one on one--heart to heart talk...but either than those points, it was a pretty good first parter.

Someday I hope someone gets a normal wedding.

Broadcast
zuzus_petals
Not as new

Post by zuzus_petals »

Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Great episode.Eugene and Katrina stuck in the mountains... Katrina's mother changing everything... Eugene's Bachelor Party with no Bachelors in attendance... Agnes thinking Katrina's mother is her mother... Eugene and Katrina arriving to find that the wedding is starting without them... Eugene's song for Katrina. :lol: =D> \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!