605: "The Chosen One I"

**Spoilers**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many stars?

5 stars: DA BEST EPPIE EVER!!!
43%
4 stars: Excellent!
45%
3 stars: Average!
12%
2 stars: Ok!
No votes
1 star: Lame!
No votes

Total votes: 42

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Lately I've noticed a rather extreme difference in what type of shows the older and younger listeners like.
ivybug7 wrote:i gave 4 stars and what station is it on ? :headscratch:
Well, you can listen to it online, but if you want to listen to it on the radio you'll have to go and check what station it's on at whitsend.org. Or you could ask your parents :)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I think it was wonderful! I love how Eugene's geekiness came back. I don't believe the Juvinile Dentention thing but I do think she was smoking and I'm very curious as to who her parents are! I think the way Connie reactted to her computer files were deleted was very natural and I did that before :anxious: and I agree that she was a bit immature and she over reacted but a calm and mature Connie? Now that would be the end of AIO.
ivybug7
Gold Member

Post by ivybug7 »

* kicks Johnathan(badly)* :pysche:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*dodges kick quite skillfully*

...Why am I being kicked?
ivybug7
Gold Member

Post by ivybug7 »

*backflips witha knife and stomps on Johnathan thencuts him into shreds quite skillfuly* really i'm a great peron he just mkes me mad. :boohoo:
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Here is not the place for violence young lady. :shame:
But that’s the way he is and is suppose to be!!!
Well maybe I just want a little more of how he used to be, but this is just personal preference so I'll leave the issue alone.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

ivybug7 wrote:*backflips witha knife and stomps on Johnathan thencuts him into shreds quite skillfuly* really i'm a great peron he just mkes me mad. :boohoo:
What are you talking about? :-s

Anyway, I liked this episode. It's about time AIO showed us a kid who has major family issues - although Mandy's parents separating was a step in that direction, I don't believe we've ever had an abusive parent on AIO (correct me if I'm wrong). In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the closest we've come is Kurt's father being an alcoholic on "Home is Where the Hurt Is." *

*After I heard that episode for the first time when I was little, I asked my mom why anyone would drink alcohol, since the only kind I knew about was the kind that you put on cuts... and it stings, so why would anyone drink it? :lol:

Anyway, I give it a four just because the beginning was a little confusing... like where is Kelly living, anyway? With the Washingtons? If so, where did they find her? We need answers! :protest:
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Kelly appears to have been sleeping on a park bench, judging from the scene where she tells the other lady to get off of it right after phoning her mother to say that she had found a place to sleep.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Ahhhh!!! :mad: I hate two parters. I think I would prefere if they skipped a week and played both the eps together.

Anyway...

Wow I'm impressed. Good story. I LOVE the return of Eugenes craziness, maybe I just find it hard to let go but I thought he was getting a bit serious. A human magnet ?! :hilarious: Very funny.

I definatly think Kelly was lying about Juviniell Detention, it seemed like she felt threatened by Tamika and threatened her in return.

I gave this ep 4 stars because I dont like giving too many 5 stars out!

BTW Is it just me or did those dolls sound evil? Probably just me! :-
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

Given the way that some people around here seem to pick episodes apart in the extreme, I was expecting everyone to be complaining about Eugene's human magnet theories. It's so absurd that Eugene, of all people, should know better! Putting a magnet next to a simple electronic device will not cause anything bad to happen, in general. It could only affect it if (a) it uses magnetic media such as a computer hard drive, or (b) it has something metal in it that can move undesirably, or (c) you use an electromagnet with an oscillating field, which can induce undesirable currents in the circuitry and disrupt its operation. For a human alone, (c) is thoroughly impossible (unless you've got, for example, a pacemaker gone awry, which would cause you even bigger problems). People have experimented and found that it's actually rather difficult to erase a computer hard drive even with a very strong magnet, ruling out (a). This leaves (b). It's barely possible that you could set off a fire alarm with a magnet, if it's got a mechanical switch inside. But I'd be very interested to see a magnet that could not only open a refrigerator but also get into a container of ice cream and eat some! I still don't think this is remotely possible for any magnetism a human could possibly produce naturally.

Maybe I'm just too smart for AIO... :?
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

LizzieG wrote:After fully expecting this episode to be about Eugene and his father, I was shocked and blown away by the opening. For a few moments I even wondered if I was hearing things correctly. Could this story of a young girl getting kicked out of her house by a drunken mother really be Adventures in Odyssey?
Yeah, I was fully expecting this one to be a Leonard and Eugene storyline, too. When Kelly became nervous and refused to give her last name, my mind jumped to Leonard again. The histories of both Kelly and Leonard and both "shrouded in mystery"...Perhaps they are "Brought here by evil, but serving a purpose." ;) Perhaps they are connected. Kelly Meltsner. :-k

Observation: There has been a recent influx of broken families: the McKays, the Straussbergs, and now Kelly.

And I guess this won't be the start of a new technology arc.

Like many, I will reserve most of my judgment until I hear the second part. However, I like what I have heard so far.

Edit: I just considered the episode name again, and I'm anxious to see how "The Chosen One" ties in. Is Kelly the chosen one? If so, for what? Before this, I would have thought the title was referring to Leonard.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I really hope this isn't the start, or part of, an arc. Honestly, we can have good dramatic gripping two parters that stand by themselves. Mysterious Stranger comes to mind.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Personally I don't see how they can tie up all the questions in one episode, so this will probably be continued for a longer period of time.
Some questions we are left asking,

Where did Kelly come from?
Who are her parents?
Where did she get the cigerettes?
Why does she smoke?
Does her mom really beat her like she claimed?
Did she really go to juvenile detention?
Is she really violent?
What happened to Connies story, is it gone forever?

... and the most important question... Will Connie put the part where Jimmy fell in love with her in her book?

I don't see how I'm going to be satisfied by the second part of this episode, we'll see though.

The first part gets 4 stars, I wouldn't call it "excellent" but it's better than average.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

If I was Whit, I would ask about her family, where she came from... Really, when you were seven did your parents leave you places on your own? :noway: I don't think I even knew my phone number at seven... Anyways, that bothered me, but getting past that I really enjoyed this episode and I cannot wait for next Saturday! \:D/
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

i found it sad .tihnk eugne is crazyness mangenic but its petty cool O:)
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Monday wrote:If I was Whit, I would ask about her family, where she came from... Really, when you were seven did your parents leave you places on your own? :noway: I don't think I even knew my phone number at seven... Anyways, that bothered me, but getting past that I really enjoyed this episode and I cannot wait for next Saturday! \:D/
She's ten.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

underdogfan710 wrote:
Monday wrote:If I was Whit, I would ask about her family, where she came from... Really, when you were seven did your parents leave you places on your own? :noway: I don't think I even knew my phone number at seven... Anyways, that bothered me, but getting past that I really enjoyed this episode and I cannot wait for next Saturday! \:D/
She's ten.
And she was not on her own by choice. Her mother threw her out of the house. I think her mother is an alcoholic and was drunk when she did it. The reason being that Kelly forgot to turn the burner off and set off the fire alarm.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

When I heard the opening, I knew this episode would be different. There were no bits of the episode in the intro, and Chris's lines were read differently. And the first scene of this episode definitely took me by suprise. Quite intense. But I really enjoyed how the episode played it, and I thought everything "fit." For me, every character had a good role, and nothing was out of place. I really hope Part two is as good as Part one.

I was definitely surprised that Odyssey decided to talk about drunk and abusive parents. I was glad they decided to address these issues, but it took me a while to wrap my head around the fact that this episode was an Odyssey episode.

As for the speculation about Kelly's father and her last name, I really don't think it's that important. I don't think her father is anyone important, and I felt that Kelly didn't want her last name to be known because she didn't want anyone to find her.

As a side note, I immediately recognized Kelly's mom as the same actress who played Kelsey Smith-Hammer, in "Fifth House on the Left." I looked her up on the Soda Fountain, and when Chris announced the vocal talent, I listened intently, and I was right!
Last edited by H Tide on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i liked the episode. i just felt like it was a little to fast paced. Oh and i thought that Eugene was very out of character and was acting imature
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

4 stars. Either next week is going to be horrible or great....there's no way it can be mediocre (sp?) I really enjoyed it. When Kelly said "Hi, Mom" I thought it was a Mandy ep then she kept talking and I knew it wasn't. The way they said Hi Mom sounded kinda the same. I knew her mom's voice sounded familiar! When I first heard it, I, too, was VERY surprised. I don't know what I thought this ep was going to be about--but not that. I did feel as if they softened it a bit...it would have been better had it been a tad more harsh and had a parental warning. Of course, I'm older and that's just what I think, I'm sure this is a great tool for parents to tell their kids you know, some people DO get beaten bad by their parents and they drink/smoke because of their parents do or whatever, but I would have liked it to have a little more suspence/danger, etc. I don't think she went to Juvenile Detention...that's just a bit weird...she didn't sound sincere. I think she might actually smoke--I dunno though, it is true that she didn't give any specific answers. But for some reason I think that she does. I have no clue who her dad is. Part of me wants to hope it's important...part of me thinks that it's not. I'm pretty sure the reason she didn't want her name in the book was so people wouldn't find her. I don't think she erased it...that just didn't seem right. I mean, why would she? 600 pages is a lot.....esp. 8 1/2 x 11 pages! Connie DIDN'T know her last name, so it wasn't like she was "erasing evidence" (like Connie wouldn't remember her last name) I found the episode quite sad as well, that's what really struck me. It's sad to think that there really are kids like that...no home, abusive parents, whatever...while I'm sitting here cozy in my house, with a good family (not perfect but good) and....well, it's just sad. The doll thing was SO sad! I have a theory about next week, but, I'm not going to share it...I'll let everyone do their own speculating...

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...