605: "The Chosen One I"

**Spoilers**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many stars?

5 stars: DA BEST EPPIE EVER!!!
43%
4 stars: Excellent!
45%
3 stars: Average!
12%
2 stars: Ok!
No votes
1 star: Lame!
No votes

Total votes: 42

the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

605: "The Chosen One I"

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Lock until Saturday. \:D/

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

This episode actually reminds me of Marshall Younger's other written drama, "Just South of Normal". I forget the name of the episode, however, I really enjoyed it, and thought they should turn it into an episode. While this one wasn't THAT close to it, it did resemble the episode quite a bit, in the sense that Dad's son suspect other boy of abuse, boy and father look into it, they find out he's beating himself.
While, it's not the same as this. I enjoy the genre, mood, feel, of episodes like this. I'm surprised they didn't try to "adult" the issue, and put a parental warning to it. Parents who beat there kids IS a serious issue, and they couldv'e really put it a different way. However, it's too early to base wheither or not how they play it out will be any good. Connie and Eugene played there parts very well...as did Whit, and Mr. Washington. There was just, something very UNEASY about the episode. A ten year old smoking? A ten year old getting beaten? A Ten year old Threatening, stealling? And yet very smart and kind? Sounds like a genuingly psychological abused child. But for an Eight year old listener? And yet, why soften the message? I think they couldv'e made the show more serious (yet, mind you, the tone was serious enough) minus the comedy imput, and added a parental warning. I think it's dangerous to soften down that issue.

However, regardless, as a mature listener, I enjoyed it. I can't say whether I'll like the turnout, but I like the tone of the show, I like the decision for a mature subject, I like the comedy, I like where everyone was placed in the show...yes, even Mr. Washington. It's strange that they didn't replace Mr. Washington's character on the show, with Tom, Bernard, Jack...or someone else. But still, good decision...

Still no Nick Mulligan. I thought maybe he could come out and relate about his smoking, beating, lying and stealing problems from a kid.

Bennett
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Meh, you never know Bennet, maybe that'll happen in part two. It would be so awesome if he did.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I gave it four stars.
I just finished listening to it for the second time. I found it rather sad. Especially when she was in the park with the doll. :(
I can't wait to hear what will happen next week!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I gave this 4 stars. \:D/ Next week might be 5 if it ends well.

I thought the episode was very good - I like a new character being introduced and the whole thing was very well done. =D>
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

A good episode overall. Eugene was back to this normal Eugeneness which I liked very much! About Kelly.....does anyone else think there's something up with her not wanting her name in Connie's book? We don't know who her father is, but notice how she didn't want to let them know her last name? Do you think her last name is something we would all recognize right off if we knew what it was? Perhaps she's the daughter of Mr. Charles or something like that. Hmmm.....she said her father lived out in Arizona. Has anyone ever listened to the Last Chance Detectives story about Buddy Lewis? That takes place in Arizona. Maybe it's somehow connected to the people out there. Or maybe my imagination is going in overdrive! :D I just had another idea. What if Mr. Glossman is her dad? :eek!:

Do you think Kelly is lying about her mom beating her and about being in juvenial detention?
Last edited by Samitude on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Somehow, I don't think Kelly is lying about her mom beating her. At the beginning of the episode she told her mom that she might have been drinking too much, and then there's the part with the talking doll in the park.
As for Juvenile detention, I don't know. Somehow I think maybe she's lying about Juvenile Detention.

And I think there's definitely something going on with Kelly not wanting her name in Connie's book.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

5 Stars! This is the episode I have been waiting forever. It seemed like all the characters of Odyssey were involved, and it's a mystery! I think I know who's Kelly's dad is. Maybe her last name is Basset! But's that's just speculation. I can't wait until the conclusion.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

Elizabeth Doyle wrote: I think I know who's Kelly's dad is. Maybe her last name is Basset! But's that's just speculation.
Surely you mean Wellington! Wooten hasn't ever been married has he? I'm still voting for Richard Maxwell or Phillip Glossman as her dad. We do know that the actor who plays Richard Maxwell is back because he's the same man who plays Mandy's dad.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

No, I mean Wooten. Maybe he's been so kind to Grady because he knows there's his own kid out there, without a father. But I am just speculating. :)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Finally a mystery episode! I'd give it 5 five stars except that Eugene was acting too "alive" but besides that I found it quite good.

I'm not sure that Kelly was the one who destroyed Connie's book, the way that Connie flew into her it seems like we are setting Connie up to be wrong and have to apologize. Of course this is just speculation like everything else.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Skid 32 wrote:Finally a mystery episode! I'd give it 5 five stars except that Eugene was acting too "alive" but besides that I found it quite good.
What do you mean "alive"?

Bennett
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I did think Connie could have used more self-control. She's older now and seems to have matured. That's something she would have done when she was younger.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Ooo, do you smell that? That's classic Odyssey right there ^_^

I liked it, a lot. It felt really real, and was driven by dialogue and not goofy music/unrealistic plot (something I've been stressing in my reviews lately). Everything from the first scene, to the park, to everything that happened at Whit's End; it really drew me in.

Eugene caught my attention here. He was back to his old self like we haven't seen in a while. Makes me really wonder what will happen in the future. It's clear that writing him with Whit's End is what's comfortable, but he's married now with an organization of his own to worry about. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him down the line. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him at Whit's End now and then, but still.

Other thoughts:

Was anyone else reminded of the X-men when Eugene started talking about human magnets?

I'm confused; Connie was talking about the departure of Mitch being depressing. Hm :-k Funny really, I don't remember it that way at all ;)

I also found it amusing that Ed was having what seemed like an identity crisis at the beginning. I can relate; when you're done doing something you loved, it's hard to get over it -_-;

I can also relate to Connie losing something big on the computer, though I've never lost anything that big before. The freak out was realistic though.

And lastly, I am greatly looking forward to next weeks show (even though I probably won't get to hear it until I don't know when -_-; ). Kudos to Marshal Younger, this was a good one.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

This was a really good episode--5 stars. Marshall Younger did a great job with the writing. The serious elements of Kelly's childhood, smoking, etc. and the humorous elements like Eugene's fixation on magnet people meshed together quite well. The humor was not over-the-top as in "Like Father Like Wooton" nor the episode so serious and depressing. I enjoyed it totally and cannot wait until next week.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Jonathan wrote: Eugene caught my attention here. He was back to his old self like we haven't seen in a while. Makes me really wonder what will happen in the future. It's clear that writing him with Whit's End is what's comfortable, but he's married now with an organization of his own to worry about. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him down the line. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him at Whit's End now and then, but still.
This caught my attention. The writer's are trying too hard. They're putting him back in the Whit's End Setting TOO much. I think they need him to evolve out of Whit's End a bit. There's just not enough space for three employees.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

He just seems like he was getting too excited about the whole thing, I would have liked it better if he went after his "research" in the cold, scientific manner that used to make him so funny.
ivybug7
Gold Member

Post by ivybug7 »

i gave 4 stars and what station is it on ? :headscratch:
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

After fully expecting this episode to be about Eugene and his father, I was shocked and blown away by the opening. For a few moments I even wondered if I was hearing things correctly. Could this story of a young girl getting kicked out of her house by a drunken mother really be Adventures in Odyssey?

This was a very intense episode, but the AIO team did an excellent job, and it was a refreshing change from the usual dependence on comedy and . All the actors did a great job. Connie's angry confrontation with Kelly was understandable, considering what we know of her bluntness, not to mention how much time she spent on her book. I loved how Eugene was much like his old self (including his diverting human magnet theory) - he fits in very well at Whit's End, so it'll be interesting to see where his character goes from here. I enjoyed Mr. Washington's role here as well.

The way they began this episode was different than their normal approach to new, mysterious characters. Usually it's all from the point of view of the Odyssey crew as they speculate about what's going on...then by the end of the adventure the whole story is explained for both them and us. This time, however, we're getting glimpses from both sides, which was an excellent angle for this.

As far as Kelly's smoking, when I first listened to this episode I was confident that she was lying about that. Tamika never saw a cigarette, and Kelly didn't directly answer her questions about it. What she really was doing, I'm not sure. My first thought was that she was cooking something (after all, she has to eat, and I'm guessing she didn't arrive in Odyssey loaded with cash), but since she was in the bathroom, that seems implausible. Maybe she really was smoking, but somehow I'm not buying it. I don't believe the Juvenile Detention story either, but since we know so little about her, anything's possible.

As far as her not giving her last name because it would be "embarrassing," as well as her whole story and how she ended up at Odyssey (and, more specifically, Whit's End), I'm just as curious as the rest of you.

Bravo! Five stars \:D/
fatlooy
Sing in the sunshine

Post by fatlooy »

Skid 32 wrote:
He just seems like he was getting too excited about the whole thing, I would have liked it better if he went after his "research" in the cold, scientific manner that used to make him so funny.
But that’s the way he is and is suppose to be!!!
Well I didn't think it was that great of an ep I thought it was kind of boring but that’s it, and Connie did over react I think. I only gave it 3 stares.
and tell me if I’m going crazy but I didn't hear Connie tell Kelly anything about Mitch living in Budapest but Kelly said something about it!?!?!? I dono I could be totally wrong on that.