176: The Star

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate this

5 stars
38%
4 stars
38%
3 stars
13%
2 stars
13%
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 8

Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

176: The Star

Post by Thursday Next »

Epsiode: # 176 & 177
Writer: Phil Lollar
Scripture: Matthew 2:1-15

This story picks up, in a manner of speaking, where Back to Bethlehem left off. Was the storyline of Proculs. You could tell from the first time we meet him he seems rather disillusioned. He tells us when he’s off duty he doesn’t where his uniform. Perhaps that’s to try gain trust with the townspeople he might otherwise not receive. He doesn’t strike us as the type of officer who abuses his power. In fact he seemed less than enthused by his assignment of Herod, but would do his duty by Rome when he felt it was threatened.

Appropriately Eugene ends up with the Magi. It seems that Eugene was taken by surprise by the star even though Hezekiah mentioned it in Back to Bethlehem. One thing I opportunity I feel they missed was when once again Eugene finds himself chained up, however this time he’s with Simion. Simion was told by God that he would not die until he saw the Messiah (Luke 2:25-27). Eugene could have then connected it with his last visit with what Hezekiah said. The other thing I would have loved to hear was Simion’s blessing,

“"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss[d] your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel." (Luke 2:29-32). There’s so much more eloquence when you have your characters speak the text.

Interesting tidbits.

I was doing a little internet research on what the Magi said about how they could tell Jesus was born by gazing at the night sky and I came up with this:

Let's look at just what is so spectacular about this proposed conjunction. First, it occurred in Leo the Lion, which is the constellation associated with the tribe of Judah. That association is based on the blessing given to Judah that he was compared to a "lion's whelp," while others of the twelve tribes are compared to others of the twelve zodiac constellations such as Reuben to water and Dan to a serpent (Gen. 49: 9,4, 17). The connection of Judah to a lion is confirmed in the Book of Revelation which refers to the Lamb of God as "the lion of the tribe Judah" (Rev. 5:5-7). The Lion was known as the "king of beasts" and Judah was the royal line of the twelve tribes.
Secondly, the conjunction occurred near Regulus, the brightest star in Leo, and the most important of the four bright "royal stars" of zodiac. Regulus means "The Prince" and is one of the many bright stars which was apparently symbolized Christ anciently. This star seems to emphasize his role as the Prince of Peace and King of Kings.
Third, the conjunction was between the two brightest planets, Jupiter and Venus. Jupiter or Zeus represented the Father of Gods (perhaps a pagan version of "Heavenly Father") and Venus or Isis represented the virgin mother of the infant god Horus who would come to reign, which sounds a lot like the virgin Mary.
Fourth, the conjunction was so incredibly close that the two planets actually appeared to touch each other. Moreover, both planets were are a very bright part of their cycles. Such a conjunction is extremely rare. Computer calculations indicate that there has never been a closer, brighter conjunction of Jupiter and Venus in the 2,000 years before and after the birth of Christ.[2]
Finally, from Jerusalem, the two planets appeared to descend to the earth after sunset as they touched:
"As the sky darkened this brilliant 'double star' sank lower, the planets drawing nearer and nearer. At last, just above the horizon, they fused into one, gleaming like a great beacon over Judea to the west."[1]

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds ... _star.html
Questions

From Follow the Rabbi.org article on Herod the Great
To compound matter, the Pharasees, spread the beliefs that Herod was king of the Jews only by Roman decree and that he was not of the house of David. Therefore he and his familyy were unfit for the throne. Messianic "prophets" predicted a bizarre list of upcoming events that would occur as the kingdom was taken from herod and given to God's annointed. This stirred even more paranoia in Herod, and myy more lost there lives as a result.
1) With this declaration looming over Herod's head does this help to further explain his reaction to the Magi's message?

2) One thing I've often wondered did God purposely send the Magi to King Herod in order to announce the birth of the Messiah to him?

3) When Mary insisted Connie sit down and hold Jesus if we had been given the same opportunity would we have had the same reaction?

4) Knowing that some people watch the heavens for answers, isn't it amazing that God orchestrated an event that hasn't occured before or since the birth of Christ?
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Good review, those are some tough questions. :D

I really like the tidbit about Herods anxiety, I think that it does help to explain his reaction. I know that some evil kings would do what he did no matter what, but this is like the icing on the cake.

I think that God knew what the magi were going to do, I know that God knew. Did He want them to do it? I'm not sure. I do know that God has worked it all together for good, and I know several people whose faith was strengthened because of what Herod did, and how God saved Jesus and his family.

God has a sense of humor. I doubt the answers are in the stars, but He decided to let the world know about Christ's birt through the stars. It shows that God, in all His power and majesty, will reach the unsaved where they are. When they were watching the stars He gave them a message in the stars, He didn't give them a message in the sand or in the tree bark, but where they were looking, in the stars.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.