372: For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What would you rate this episode?

5 stars: One of my favorites!
59%
4 stars: I gotta say, this was one of AIO's high points
38%
3 stars: It was fine, but...well...nothing too special
3%
2 stars: Ehhh. I wasn't impressed at all.
No votes
1 star: Get this away from me!
No votes

Total votes: 29

LizzieG
I've been working out

372: For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll

Post by LizzieG »

You've seen us, haven't you?

You know who I'm talking about - those people who obstinately regard the early days as the golden years, and deem the newer material incapable of greatness, and...well...I just happen to be one of them. So maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but let's face it: those of us who've grown up with Adventures in Odyssey are very attached to those early shows, and are slower to adjust to actor changes and new characters.

There aren't many post-hiatus episodes that I consider classic. Good, yes. Great, sometimes. But it takes an excellent, mind-boggling story, great acting, and of course my favorite Odyssey characters in the starring roles to be considered "one of the best." Add a few tear-jerking moments, and I'm sold.

That said, I'm proud to announce that For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll made my list. Okay, so it didn't quite bring tears to my eyes, and the plot wasn't on the level of episodes like The Mortal Coil or A Name, Not a Number, but for a romantic drama/comedy, it shines. It makes me laugh, and cheer, and bite my nails in anticipation, and all those things that great episodes are supposed to do.

All the old favorites are here, and are their normal, quirky selves. Back in Odyssey after an extended vacation, Jason is startled to find that his own father might be getting married! Talk about a gripping season opener! After a 9-month break, the AIO writing team is back, and out to prove that Odyssey hasn't run its course yet... "not by a long shot!"

The Jack/Joanne and Whit/Margaret relationships reached the "Will you marry me?" questions fast,

The music is beautiful, teeming with excitement and yet having a personality all its own. Care for a little behind-the-scenes trivia from my own life? I always replay the last scene solely because of the bells after George Barclay's speech: "...the union between Christ and his church," he finishes with a flourish, and then... enter the joyous music! :D

There's comedy, there's drama, and there's major happenings with all the characters you know and love. And, to top it off, the music's great and there are some really great lines. So, in the unlikely event that you haven't listened to For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll, it's not too late to do so!

* Quacken's Quick Cheeseburgers joins the slew of wacky fast-food restaurants in Odyssey. Also on the list is Burger World (Pokenberry Falls, RFD), Biffy's Burger Joint, and Seven Seas (And That’s the Truth, which, coincidentally, also happens to have a reputation for messing up orders), .

* Here, we see Jason's desire (brought to light in The Decision) to get out of Odyssey and experience adventures fulfilled. Though he calls his summer-long trip a tour of the world, I wonder if there were any missions involvement then, or if that came later.

* Sadly, this was the last show for Frederick Holstein, who, though he was only in five episodes, proved to be quite a character who had some great comedic lines.

* Tom Riley's term as mayor was only 3 years long in real-time - remarkable for a town where time warps are not unknown.

* Janet Waldo not only voices Joanne Woodston-Allen, but also played Lawrence Hodges' mother, Maureen.

* Hans Holstein is an odd character. He's only heard once, and at a distance, so that, especially when we meet him he seems very unreal.

* Even though Connie wasn't one in one of the three relationships, she survives as a main character by playing the storyteller.

* George Barclay came from Pokenberry Falls for a conference, then was asked to perform a wedding. This also happened in Living in the Gray.

There was an approximately 9-month gap between “Christmas Around the World” and “For Whom The Wedding Bells Toll.” Could you clue us in as to what was going on behind the scenes during those months?

As you may know from reading the Guide, this was a break for the Odyssey team to regroup and think about the future of the show. It was also the time when the Complete Guide was written and new writers were brought in to work on the show. (These included John Beebee, Bill Myers, Doug McIntosh, Wayne Valaro, and Matt Summer.) It was ALSO the period that Radio Theatre was launched. So, even though there weren't any new shows, the team was anything but bored! :-)

When "For Whom The Wedding Bells Toll" first aired, what was the initial audience reaction?

"For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll" got a very positive reaction. Partly because it was an excellent show, and also partially because it was the first new show that aired for some time. We always get a few negative notes whenever we do a show about relationships (especially romantic relationships), but most response was very positive.

Margaret Faye was obviously not the right person for Whit, but has there ever been any discussion - serious or otherwise -- about Mr. Whittaker remarrying?

Yes. Though I doubt that we'd get Mr. Whittaker married again, anything is possible. Paul Herlinger has been very keen on exploring the romantic possibilities of Whit. You'll note that we've had a character named Edith Sutton who has fallen for Whit (though of course, it's not reciprocated! :-)).

While obviously the end result of FWTWBT was Jack and Joanne¹s marriage and Eugene and Katrina’s engagement, how was it decided to go ahead with both of those developments at the same time? Also, is there anything that fans might be interested in knowing about the evolution of these episodes?

Interestingly enough, there was a completely different draft of this script written. That draft began at the wedding itself with Jason rushing in at the last minute. Jason says that he can't believe "they're tying the knot." Then, Connie explained in flashback what had happened.

The J & J Antique shop was actually opened in the show and Eugene and Katrina worked there (which is how they got to know each other again). The entire story of "The Painting" was also woven into the show. There was also a subplot of Brandon Teller secretly following Eugene and Katrina to find out why Katrina was so obsessed with Eugene. Ultimately, some of these elements were taken out and put into later episodes, while the Brandon angle was dropped completely. The "Margaret Faye" story was added fairly late in the process.

What is your professional and/or personal opinion of “For Whom The Wedding Bells Toll”?

I love the "Forrest Gump" storytelling aspect of the shows, especially how it's mostly told in flashback and then the flashbacks catch up to the present. And the interweaving of the three storylines is terrific. I'd say they're among my favorite Eugene and Katrina shows and definitely one of the best season openers ever.

If I had to put in a complaint, it would be fairly minor. The thing that bugs me about these shows is that they completely contradict the whole sentiment of "The Right Choice." It's always bugged me how, as fans, we were put through this huge emotional ordeal of Katrina not being right for Eugene and her having to leave. So we get all sad and accept that. And then, in the next album, they're suddenly engaged! Now, I had always rooted for them to be engaged, so I'm glad it happened, but why did we have to have "The Right Choice" in the first place if we just ignored it later! Anyway, those are just the thoughts of a rabid fan and they only take away from my enjoyment of the "Wedding" shows the slightest bit. ;-)

1. Do you remember the first time you hear "For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll"? If so, were you surprised by the ending?

2. Do you know anyone like Margaret Faye, who claims to be a Christian but doesn't really understand what it means to be a true follower of Christ?

3. How would you compare this show to other Eugene/Katrina ones?

4. Jack's became both a husband and the owner of J&J Antique Gallery in a very short amount of time. What did you think about this, and about his role on the show following For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll?

5. If you could change anything about this show, what would it be?

*Special thanks to Zeba for the graphics used in this review, and to Nathan Hoobler for his input.
Last edited by LizzieG on Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

For Whom the Wedding Bell's Toll was the very first episode i listen too and i still treasure it in my heart as a favorite! Good Review, i liked the interview with Nathan!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, I didn't realize that Mr. Holstein was in so few episodes! If I had just randomly guessed, I would have guessed way more than 5!

Thanks for your review, Lizzie! It was really interesting, and I loved the way you combined the graphics, personal opinions, trivia, and the Nathan Hoobler interview! \:D/ Adding Brandon in sounds like it could have been amusing, though it does sound a tad soap-opera like. But in a funny way. ;)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:Wow, I didn't realize that Mr. Holstein was in so few episodes! If I had just randomly guessed, I would have guessed way more than 5!
Mr. Fred Holstein appeared in 5 episodes.

His grandson, Hans Holstein, only appeared in one episode... and as Lizzie pointed, was only heard from the distance. Unless you count the burp. ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Wow, I didn't realize that Mr. Holstein was in so few episodes! If I had just randomly guessed, I would have guessed way more than 5!
Mr. Fred Holstein appeared in 5 episodes.

His grandson, Hans Holstein, only appeared in one episode... and as Lizzie pointed, was only heard from the distance. Unless you count the burp. ;)
I was referring to Fred Holstein. I thought that he had been in more than 5 eps. I knew that little Hans had a more limited repertoire. ;) And of course I count the burp! I laugh at that part every time! "Hans, do you think that you are at home?" :hilarious:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:I was referring to Fred Holstein. I thought that he had been in more than 5 eps. I knew that little Hans had a more limited repertoire. ;)
Ah, my mistake. :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
SweetJoy93
Not as new

Post by SweetJoy93 »

I love that episode It FAnnTAsTic!!
What could be better than to see Jesus~

I have a favor if you've got even an extra dollar I need some donations for my collage fund which is about $8000.00 yep so please donations are very welcome!!!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I love this episode because Connie is stringing Jason along. She's having way to much fun with the telling of this story that she switches gears and jumps into another aspect of the story. I love her line, "For once I know something you don't know"
thelovelyrose
Fourscore and seven

Post by thelovelyrose »

Fantabulous job, Lizpaw! You amaze me! =D>

~now with High School Equivalence~
Thanks, Lizpaw and Pc Pro!
g-r-a-c-e
Not as new

Post by g-r-a-c-e »

Fantasic job, Lizpaw!!!
Who is Mr. Hoilstien? I forgot...I remeber Mr. Feltsien. Lol.....
I love that episode!!!! wonderful!!!!! one of my favorites....and A LOT of typing...impressive!!! =D>