608: "Run-of-the-Mill Miracle"

Episode Reviews! ::SPOILERS::

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

So, what'd you think?

5 stars: I loved it!
23%
4 stars: Good, strong episode
53%
3 stars: Could've been better
18%
2 stars: Not really my cup o' tea
3%
1 star: What a terrible opener!
5%

Total votes: 40

Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Itaque wrote:Great episode and great debut for Katie Bruhn! Much like The Nudge, this show excellently delivered its message. Though The Nudge focused on the theme of hearing God's voice with Marvin, it also contained Grady seeing something extraordinary but thinking it to be ordinary at first. The same concept applied to Run-of-the-Mill Miracle. Also in this week's episode, I particularly liked how the first Imagination Station story started with the boy waking up and the centurion returning afterward—neat device. Plus it made me feel smart for identifying the Bible story a la Passages.
Bennett wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Bennett wrote:
Catspaw wrote:.One thing that I thought was a bit odd was that Whit, a Christian and a godly man for many years, claimed that he had never seen a miracle. It seemed to slightly go against the theme of the ep...if Whit hadn't seen one in decades, they seem a tad rare. ;)
Not only that--but let's just look at the number of episodes Whit has been in and how many of those were considered to be Miracle-like. The last one that comes to mind is when Eugene gets his memory back just like that, when doctors didn't believe it was possible. But the thing is, if I remember right he said he never experienced miracles like the ones in the bible. Well, he was very vague about it, anyways, like--none like the parting of the red seal, or anything like that.
That's a good point. But still, your Eugene example is a good one. Whit saw an example of healing that came from God. How is that so different than Jesus's healing in the NT, for example? But perhaps I'm overanalyzing.
I think it's just safer to say that Whit was just lying. I think that would closer to his character, wouldn't you guys agree?
Could it be considered a goof? Lying isn't a part of Whit's character. The comment struck me the wrong way, too. Eugene's memory returning is extraordinary.

The 3 stars option should have been run-of-the-mill. O:)

I don't think Whit was lying, but I attribute it to a temporary memory lapse. Eugene's situation was slightly complicated. For starters Whit didn't have Eugene's permission to tell Grady about losing his memory. Secondly Eugene's work was probably classified work as it dealt with the government. Even if Eugene could/wanted to it's slightly embarrassing if you think about it because Eugene's memory loss steams from self induced Amnesia.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Thursday Next wrote:
Itaque wrote:Great episode and great debut for Katie Bruhn! Much like The Nudge, this show excellently delivered its message. Though The Nudge focused on the theme of hearing God's voice with Marvin, it also contained Grady seeing something extraordinary but thinking it to be ordinary at first. The same concept applied to Run-of-the-Mill Miracle. Also in this week's episode, I particularly liked how the first Imagination Station story started with the boy waking up and the centurion returning afterward—neat device. Plus it made me feel smart for identifying the Bible story a la Passages.
Bennett wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Bennett wrote:
Catspaw wrote:.One thing that I thought was a bit odd was that Whit, a Christian and a godly man for many years, claimed that he had never seen a miracle. It seemed to slightly go against the theme of the ep...if Whit hadn't seen one in decades, they seem a tad rare. ;)
Not only that--but let's just look at the number of episodes Whit has been in and how many of those were considered to be Miracle-like. The last one that comes to mind is when Eugene gets his memory back just like that, when doctors didn't believe it was possible. But the thing is, if I remember right he said he never experienced miracles like the ones in the bible. Well, he was very vague about it, anyways, like--none like the parting of the red seal, or anything like that.
That's a good point. But still, your Eugene example is a good one. Whit saw an example of healing that came from God. How is that so different than Jesus's healing in the NT, for example? But perhaps I'm overanalyzing.
I think it's just safer to say that Whit was just lying. I think that would closer to his character, wouldn't you guys agree?
Could it be considered a goof? Lying isn't a part of Whit's character. The comment struck me the wrong way, too. Eugene's memory returning is extraordinary.

The 3 stars option should have been run-of-the-mill. O:)

I don't think Whit was lying, but I attribute it to a temporary memory lapse. Eugene's situation was slightly complicated. For starters Whit didn't have Eugene's permission to tell Grady about losing his memory. Secondly Eugene's work was probably classified work as it dealt with the government. Even if Eugene could/wanted to it's slightly embarrassing if you think about it because Eugene's memory loss steams from self induced Amnesia.
But what about when whit was in a coma cause of the heaven program that seemed pretty miraculous then
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Whit was messing around with things he ought not be messing around with and it might frighten Grady about not using the Imagination Machine again. Just because Whit chose not to disclose that to Grady doesn't mean he's lying.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

This is crazy! I think I might have actually LIKED Grady in this ep?! :noway: It was a great episode and although I'm too lazy and busy right now to put in a review I really liked this ep. *4 stars*
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

I liked how Joannes friend was the voice of the thrift store lady. I wish we could see her charcter again. But the story was good, and the different stories coming though Joanne and the Imagination Station was a nice fresh approach. I was glad Whit covered everything nicely, since God isn't working though signs and miracles like he was during say the time of Daniel or Christs ministery.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Her friend is the thrift store lady! Woah! They've been living in Odyssey all these years and they've never met up!!

I smell a "The Pact" Sequel!!

Bennett
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

:lol: That's the best idea ever! \:D/ Maybe the thrift store lady never leaves the thrift store because she's so dedicated, and Joanne somehow always comes in while she's on break or in the back area, and, tragically, they have never had a chance to rekindle their friendship from so many years ago! :sniff: But maybe Grady and Samantha can bring them together! It's so beautiful! *wipes away a tear* Does anybody have a bucket for Whit to bang his head on? ;)

"Is the pact intact?"

"The secret's safe!"
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:Does anybody have a bucket for Whit to bang his head on? ;)
Yes, but he can't use it because that's what I'm using it for ;)
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Jonathan wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Does anybody have a bucket for Whit to bang his head on? ;)
Yes, but he can't use it because that's what I'm using it for ;)
You can't use it, Nicks got his head stuck in it ;)
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Elgian
Fourscore and seven

Post by Elgian »

I agree with most of what's been said -- good, solid episode that covered the subject well.

One question -- there was never any explanation for the presence of the carbon monoxide. Where'd it come from? It's not like Sam and the babysitter were playing in the garage with the car running.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

From what I could tell from past episodes, their apartment is run-down and the landlord keeps saying he'll fix things, but never gets around to it. Perhaps then, that was the cause of the presence of carbon monoxide.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*