608: "Run-of-the-Mill Miracle"

Episode Reviews! ::SPOILERS::

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

So, what'd you think?

5 stars: I loved it!
23%
4 stars: Good, strong episode
53%
3 stars: Could've been better
18%
2 stars: Not really my cup o' tea
3%
1 star: What a terrible opener!
5%

Total votes: 40

Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

608: "Run-of-the-Mill Miracle"

Post by Ruthie »

Use this thread to discuss the show! It will be locked until Saturday. :D

Edited to add poll ~Lizpaw
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

The didn't enjoy the diologue in this episode. However, the episode itself was fairly decent. I pretty much liked it overall. Whit was Whit. Carbon Monoxide was Carbon Monoxide.

And good to hear from Dr. Morton once more. She's always been my favorite Doctor.

Bennett
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I enjoyed this show. Joanne is back, and her story was great. Grady in the Imagination Station was awesome. \:D/ It had a good lesson, and great acting. Whit was acting like Whit, talking to kids again.
Overall, a great lesson. It has the potential to become a classic.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I really enjoyed this episode!! As Elizabeth Paw stated it has classic potential. An excellent slice of Odyssey opener.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

it gets 5 stars from me for the following reason

Whit was great: he was giving advice/comfort, etc. like he used to
Sam: is just too cute!
Doctor Morton: was back!!! she's been around for a long time...and it was the same actress, too! yay!!!!
Joanne: was back too! rock on AIO for bringing in the old characters! and her story was great!
Grady: I just love Imagination Station adventures, and he seemed genuinely surprised at stuff because he's still learning the basics of the Bible. it's pretty simple i guess you could say "kids" stuff, but that's what odyssey is and that's what it used to focus on so I appreciate it.
Mrs. McKay: I just knew her wallet was going to be there.

the carbon monoxide thing threw me off a bit, that was kinda weird, but whatever. all in all, it was good. there were some things i didn't like but the good overpowers the bad so much I'm not going to mention it

\:D/

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really enjoyed this episode! \:D/ My church has been talking about miracles more recently, so perhaps that's part of the reason that I liked an AIO ep on the topic, but there are a lot of really amazing stories of God acting in really cool ways, and it's nice to have AIO have an ep about it. One thing that I thought was a bit odd was that Whit, a Christian and a godly man for many years, claimed that he had never seen a miracle. It seemed to slightly go against the theme of the ep...if Whit hadn't seen one in decades, they seem a tad rare. ;) But I should have listened to the ep a second time before I posted that, because maybe I took that to be more significant that it was made to be. It just kind of stuck with me. Overall, I think that it was a great episode! \:D/ I was sitting in the computer lab at school blinking rapidly so that I wouldn't have to actually have to wipe away the couple of tears that were forming.

I really liked Joanne's story! I would be interested to know if it was based on a real story of something that happened to a missionary somewhere. That would be cool!

Joanne sounded older than she has before. :( Maybe it was just me, but she sounded a lot older than she used to. It wasn't all bad, because it isn't like she's young, but it was different.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Catspaw wrote:Joanne sounded older than she has before. :( Maybe it was just me, but she sounded a lot older than she used to. It wasn't all bad, because it isn't like she's young, but it was different.
Well, the voice actor (Janet Waldo) turns 89 years old tomorrow (February 4). :shock: (Although, Wikipedia says that some sources say 1920 for her birth year.)

I don't know if I really noticed too much, but I guess she had to start sounding old finally at some point, since she's getting close to 90. ;-) She's had a remarkably young-sounding voice her whole life, though.

Jeremy
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jeremy wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Joanne sounded older than she has before. :( Maybe it was just me, but she sounded a lot older than she used to. It wasn't all bad, because it isn't like she's young, but it was different.
Well, she turns 89 years old tomorrow (February 4). :shock: (Although, Wikipedia says that some sources say 1920 for her birth year.)

Jeremy
Wow, I didn't actually look up her age - that's incredible! I knew she was old, because I saw her in an ep of "I Love Lucy" (obviously she was young then ;)), which means that she isn't super young, but that's older than I had thought. It's wonderful that she's still doing even that much voice work for AIO at her age! AIO has a lot of older voices...I'm glad that they're using her while they can. :)
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Catspaw wrote:.One thing that I thought was a bit odd was that Whit, a Christian and a godly man for many years, claimed that he had never seen a miracle. It seemed to slightly go against the theme of the ep...if Whit hadn't seen one in decades, they seem a tad rare. ;)
Not only that--but let's just look at the number of episodes Whit has been in and how many of those were considered to be Miracle-like. The last one that comes to mind is when Eugene gets his memory back just like that, when doctors didn't believe it was possible. But the thing is, if I remember right he said he never experienced miracles like the ones in the bible. Well, he was very vague about it, anyways, like--none like the parting of the red seal, or anything like that.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bennett wrote:
Catspaw wrote:.One thing that I thought was a bit odd was that Whit, a Christian and a godly man for many years, claimed that he had never seen a miracle. It seemed to slightly go against the theme of the ep...if Whit hadn't seen one in decades, they seem a tad rare. ;)
Not only that--but let's just look at the number of episodes Whit has been in and how many of those were considered to be Miracle-like. The last one that comes to mind is when Eugene gets his memory back just like that, when doctors didn't believe it was possible. But the thing is, if I remember right he said he never experienced miracles like the ones in the bible. Well, he was very vague about it, anyways, like--none like the parting of the red seal, or anything like that.
That's a good point. (And I've never seen a red seal parted, either. :( ) But still, your Eugene example is a good one. Whit saw an example of healing that came from God. How is that so different than Jesus's healing in the NT, for example? But perhaps I'm overanalyzing.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Catspaw wrote:
Bennett wrote:
That's a good point. But still, your Eugene example is a good one. Whit saw an example of healing that came from God. How is that so different than Jesus's healing in the NT, for example? But perhaps I'm overanalyzing.
I think it's just safer to say that Whit was just lying. I think that would closer to his character, wouldn't you guys agree?
Catspaw wrote:(And I've never seen a red seal parted, either. :( )
To be quite honest, I've never seen one either. I heard it's quite messy though--with the seal's body just brutelly splitting it half like that. I've seen pictures:(
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Catspaw wrote:That's a good point. (And I've never seen a red seal parted, either. :( )
:hilarious:

As far as the episode... I thought it was very interesting how they sandwiched an Imagination Station adventure into it, but it worked nicely. I was also surprised when Whit told Grady that he hadn't seen any miracles, but I 'spose that's forgiveable. I liked Grady in this episode, though I still have mixed feelings on his character. 4 stars.

*Looks up at the poll* I think it would be interesting to hear the perspectives of those who gave this show a lower rating...
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

JFpaw wrote:My review, along with Trent's can be heard here! \:D/

Unofficial Odyssey Podcast Ep 2 [Hi] - 20MB
Unofficial Odyssey Podcast Ep 2 [Low] - 4MB
By the way, I enjoyed the discussion. I'll be sure to listen to it more often.

Bennett
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

When I started listening, and Grady gets into the IS, I thought "Oh no, this is going to be another Hide and Seek ep". Well, proved wrong there. And when he got out, I remember thinking "This needs to be handled well, b/c if it isn't, a lot of kiddies out there are going to get the wrong impression of miracles." Yep, they didn't disappoint.

I really do think there was a million ways for this episode to go wrong. The IS sequence could've been overdone (a la Hide and Seek), or they could've not covered all the bases and made miracles sound like everyday things.

But they didn't. I loved, absolutely loved it, when Grady got out of the IS and he and Whit talked about Jenny. That sometimes miracles don't happen. That sometimes people don't get better. But God is still in control. Talk about covering the bases.

And because of that all, this episode was also bittersweet for me. As some of you know, one of my best friends passed away almost two months ago. She lived with medical problems her whole life. And yet, she had amazing faith. I got to see what I would consider miracles, but they couldn't last. This only made me appreciate the conversation about Jenny even more.

In conclusion, a terrific start to the season.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Great episode and great debut for Katie Bruhn! Much like The Nudge, this show excellently delivered its message. Though The Nudge focused on the theme of hearing God's voice with Marvin, it also contained Grady seeing something extraordinary but thinking it to be ordinary at first. The same concept applied to Run-of-the-Mill Miracle. Also in this week's episode, I particularly liked how the first Imagination Station story started with the boy waking up and the centurion returning afterward—neat device. Plus it made me feel smart for identifying the Bible story a la Passages.
Bennett wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Bennett wrote:
That's a good point. But still, your Eugene example is a good one. Whit saw an example of healing that came from God. How is that so different than Jesus's healing in the NT, for example? But perhaps I'm overanalyzing.
I think it's just safer to say that Whit was just lying. I think that would closer to his character, wouldn't you guys agree?
Could it be considered a goof? Lying isn't a part of Whit's character. The comment struck me the wrong way, too. Eugene's memory returning is extraordinary.

The 3 stars option should have been run-of-the-mill. O:)
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

4 Stars. I sorta suspected Sammy would get well. Imagination station was short, though good. Joanne's story was amazing...
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i enjoyed this eps. One thing I didnt like was the way the imagination station was introduced with him just kinda "stubling" into by accident. i mean its the imagination station it sacred.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I thought that this was very enjoyable episode, with a great moral. Though the Imagination Station adventure was rather short, it was used quite effectively, and I loved it nonetheless. I also enjoyed Grady's awe at the various miracles he witnessed; I like how he's slowly learning more about God and about the Bible. Mary Mouser did an excellent job as Samantha, and she sounded really cute! :D And I loved hearing Dianne Michelle as Doctor Morton for once; the actress has appeared a couple times since the hiatus, but not as Doctor Morton until now.
elecguitar13
Not as new

Post by elecguitar13 »

i think it was a 4 stars rating because i dont have a favorite-favorite episode. but, it was really good(of what i remember).