393: Wrapped Around Your Finger

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How Many Stars Do You Give Wrapped Around Your Finger?

5 Stars: I've listened to it so many times, I can quote lines and my tape is almost retired!
21%
4 Stars: I listen to it every chance I get.
58%
3 Stars: I'll listen to it a few times. Although sometimes I prefer the sound of feedback!
21%
2 Stars: I'd rather listen to fingernails dragging on a chalkboard!
No votes
1 Star: I'd rather watch Barney!
No votes

Total votes: 24

Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

393: Wrapped Around Your Finger

Post by Kairi »

Episode 393: Wrapped Around Your Finger

Album 31: Days to Remember

Written by Paul McCusker, Directed by Phil Lollar, and Sound Designed by Duane Harms, Wrapped Around Your Finger is an episode about commitment and resolving conficts and Eugene and Katrina's engagement and relationship.

Bible Verses: John 15:13; 1 Corinthians 13:4

Summary:
Whit's End.com wrote:After Eugene Meltsner installs a national antiques database for use in Jack and Joanne Allen's store, they convince him that the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday is the time to finally give Katrina Shanks an engagement ring. Furthermore, they offer to throw him an engagement party that weekend since her parents will be in town. Eugene picks out a ring from their inventory to surprise Katrina at the party.
At Whit's End, Connie Kendall, Tom Riley, and Bernard Walton quiz Katrina about her relationship with Eugene. Connie urges her to be more openly affectionate, while Tom grills her about her parents’ feelings about Eugene. When Eugene announces the engagement party, Katrina is thrilled and grabs him and kisses him.
At the party, they are mutually surprised when Katrina's father presents her with a family heirloom, a fabulous engagement ring that has been passed down through the family for generations. Embarrassed, Eugene hides his ring until later. That evening when he finally presents his ring to Katrina, she is thrilled with his choice and decides to wear it instead of the family heirloom.
When Katrina's parents discover this, they insist that she wear the ring they gave her out of respect for them and the family heritage. Although Katrina prefers Eugene's ring, even he agrees that she must honor her parents by going along with their wishes, and they set out to return the ring to Jack and Joanne. Katrina's parents stop by the antique shop on the way out of town just as Jack announces that he has discovered that the supposedly priceless family heirloom is really a piece of costume jewelry, worth only $100, while the ring that Eugene chose is worth substantially more. Horrified that the heirloom is worthless, Mr. Shanks agrees that it is better for Katrina to wear Eugene's token of love because of its greater value. Jack and Joanne press Eugene and Katrina to say when they will marry, but the pair hints that they might elope.
My Review: Wrapped Around Your Finger is an excellent episode about commitment, resolving conflicts, family connections, and love. The acting and writing was excellent. The episode has its funny and somber moments. It teaches a great lesson that we all need to be reminded of from time-to-time. It is also a great story! That all being said, I give it 5 stars and high recommendation to listen to, as with all Eugene and Katrina episodes!

Trivia:
*At the end of this episode, Eugene and Katrina allude (most likely tongue-in-cheek) to eloping (running away to get married). Interestingly, this would actually happen later, in "Plan B: Missing in Action."
- noname
*Armitage Shanks is a porcelain and plumbing company in England. Armitage Shanks says the ring was a gift for Katrina's great grandmother—Porcelain Shanks.
*You could buy the Shanks Engagement Ring in the Shop, here at the Town of Odyssey, the current owner of the ring is Jessicado!
*The initial scene where Eugene shows Jack the Antiques Database is slightly longer in the album version, as is the following scene in Whit's End. (Contributed by SCWoody)

Discussion Questions:
Whit's End wrote:1.Why did Mr. Shanks put so much importance on the family ring?
2.When Katrina was faced with the dilemma of which ring to wear, Eugene said that "In the name of family peace, you should wear your great-grandmother's ring." For the greater good, have you ever had to do something that you didn't like?
3.Eugene and Katrina were committed to their relationship so much that they wouldn't let material things get in the way. Can you think of any other "material things" besides a ring that could get in the way of a friendship?
4.Do you think Katrina and Eugene were being good witnesses to the Shanks?
5. How would you react in a situation like Katrina and Eugene's?
6. In the episode, Connie wanted to Eugene and Katrina to kiss. What are your feelings about that incident?
7.What if the ring hadn't been a fake? What do you think would have happened?

Just some things for you to think about!
Thanks for reading!
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

This is one of my favorite episodes of the ever, but I don't use tapes and CDs don't seem as prone to failure. ;D
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

When I first saw the title- and then read the description at Oneplace...I thought I had never heard it before! But- now that I'm listening, I think I have. :-
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

I think this episode proves how much people sometimes care more about objects than the people in their lives or how it affects others. But how gifts from the heart are really so much more valuable.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
anistilina
Gold Member

Post by anistilina »

i had a good base line a and a good moral that when it comes to those type of objects its the thought that counts not the object in itself like what it represents there bond in this case and some people ceese to recognize it like katrinas father so remember the real perpose of things. =D>

maybe if people would think more of others they would not effect the good things that can occur if they back down when it is necessary also care of others relationship according to them

Please refrain from double posting! Thanks -Darcie

edit 2/11:
u can tell that most people think it was a four and i agree it wasan't one hundred perccent but it was good
O:) :-k

Double posting rule still applies even if a day has passed! Thanks -Darcie
odysseyer
Not as new

Post by odysseyer »

This is one of my favorites!!!!
There drama,love,humor and much much more.
This is one of the best I gave it a 5
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

cool but not one of favorites :lol: but funny to-ring-it