611: "The Top Floor I"

Discussion Thread!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What would you rate "The Top Floor -Part 1"?

5 Stars: The best episode since Jason left!
47%
4 Stars: Africa here I come!
44%
3 Stars: Too much Straddling of Horses?
5%
2 Stars: Not as good as Leonard Meltsner complaining...
2%
1 Stars: Where is my bouncy kiddie music?
2%

Total votes: 43

Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

611: "The Top Floor I"

Post by Ruthie »

Discuss the newest Odyssey episode here!

Locked until Saturday. \:D/
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

It saddens me to write this review right after hearing the news of Walker Edmiston’s death. I just can’t imagine AIO without Tom and Bart…but I suppose we were able to survive without Eugene for a while. It just makes me wonder – what will happen when Alan Young, Dave Madden, and Paul Herlinger pass away? I can’t imagine AIO without Jack, Bernard, and especially Whit. But let’s not worry about that: on to this week’s episode!

It’s amazing how a discrepancy in a fictional character’s personality can make a big difference when listening to two episodes featuring two very different representations of the character. Last week, in "Hear Me, Hear Me," we heard a very immature Eugene quibbling over extremely trivial problems with Connie. This week, thankfully, we get to hear the Eugene we know and love – the Eugene whose heart has been changed by Christ and has matured significantly over the last several years. I would venture to say that his dialogue in this episode is some of the best I have heard from Eugene in AIO history – not for Eugene’s knack for elaborate vocabulary, but because of the thoughtfulness and significance of what he spoke. (More on that later.)

Anyway, when I first heard the title of this episode, I was immediately intrigued. “The Top Floor”? What was that supposed to refer to? Thankfully, we are able to deduce its meaning after hearing Part 1. I had suspected that this show, a three-parter, would most likely continue (or possibly conclude) the Eugene/Leonard/Dalton story arc, especially since we did not hear the cliffhanger that many were hoping for in “The Undeniable Truth.”

And then along came a wonderful source of information called the Adventures in Odyssey Podcast, which revealed quite a few details on this episode. The return of Jason, a “final showdown” with Dalton, explosions in the village, intense dialogue, a frightening villain – I was incredibly eager to hear this show. And after listening to it, I can safely say that this has the potential to be one of AIO's greatest episodes, perhaps surpassing even the Novacom shows. The characters we have grown so familiar with and have come to love over the years are in top form.

First, before we hear any of the actual episode, Chris catches us up with the "Last time on Adventures in Odyssey" segment. I loved the way this was done in this show - the events that were played out or discussed in "Prisoners of Fear" and "Cover of Darkness" are revealed chronologically while constantly switching between episodes. Very clever!

The beginning of the episode is probably the only part of it that I would have any qualms about. Why could Eugene "use a little praise" when Whit compliments him on his work with the EduLink? We never get an explanation for that piece of dialogue. And then we hear that Dalton Kern has called Around the World missions and has revealed his name and profession while asking for Eugene's contact information! Why didn't he try using a false name in that case? I suppose it's another instance of the "villain-gets-too-cocky-and-makes-a-huge-mistake-that-inadvertantly-helps-the-good-guys" syndrome. :)

But thankfully, after a rough beginning, the episode is in full swing. Jason enters the scene in true Jason fashion ("Did someone call for me?"). It's fun to listen to him in "agent" mode again. As we progress through the episode, the characters drive the story, not the mystery or action. I believe this is what distinguishes this episode from the Novacom shows. The scenes were Leonard and Eugene talk about Christianity are some of the best "discussion" scenes I've ever heard on AIO. Both of these actors share a very interactive chemistry that helps propel the story and drives home the show's theme. Even more, Whit isn't around to talk with Leonard and Eugene - isn't it amazing how much Eugene has matured? The episode presents a stark contrast between Leonard's fear of Dalton and Eugene's calm peace that comes from Christ. (Speaking of Whit, I loved the scene where he spoke with the lady who have him Dalton's contact information!)

The action scenes were also very well produced and acted. The only problem I had with some of these scenes was Haziz's (sp?) voice - it seemed to carry that "echo" effect every time he spoke. But other than that, the action scenes were enjoyable to listen to. They bring together all the storylines that were introduced in "Prisoners of Fear" and do so in true AIO suspense style. Also, the music was perfect - not "bouncy" and not too heavy on the electric guitars (something that seems to be commonplace for all AIO mystery shows these days). It set an appropriate tone and did so without being too overbearing.

I have a feeling that the next two parts will be less dialogue and more action, which would be appropriate. But Part One has done an incredible job introducing and re-introducing the relevant plot elements and familiarizing us with the characters and their personalities. Not to mention that we got to end on a hilarious verbal exchange between Eugene, Leonard, and Jason. :)

Hats off to Nathan Hoobler for an awesome episode.

(9.5 out of 10)
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

I was a little underwelmed by this one I was hoping for a big suspense filled ending. But I guess you have to start somewear. I love the lady talking to Whit about the things that Dalton "probably wasn't doing". I loved Eugene line close to the end about "the denfinition of fun merging with the definition of insanity". I'm sure I will get all my thrill seeking needs the next two times. It was grate to hear Jason back in his old mode.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

The part about about the guy being tied to a tree was a little awkward, it seems like any intelligent thug would have gagged him so that he wouldn't attract attention by yelling. It also might have been more cliffhangerish to end the episode with the sound of the village blowing up, of course that would have kept us further back in the story than we got to this way, but would make for a nice, tense ending.

Otherwise the plot was fairly believable and certainly not lacking in action. 4.735/5 stars.

EDIT: Listening to it a second time, and unless I'm horribly wrong, wouldn't it have been perfectly fine for Eugene to cut the wires away from the timed detonator? They were using standard explosives, so probably sticks of dynamite with a blasting cap each. Fusehead blasting caps are activated using a short burst of electricity, so there would be no charge in the wires if they were cut, and therefor no risk of the explosives going off.
Last edited by Skid on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I love this episode. And this time I really mean it! ;) The acting was brilliant with Jason in top form. I especailly liked the conversation between Whit and what's-her-name, that women. So funny. :D Well anyway, 5/5. (Lol at those specific ratings. I just rounded. O:) )

EDIT: I think the people here are too smart for AIO! I doubt the writers expected anyone to know that Skid.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

It's really hard to judge the first part of a three parter as it stands alone so I am going to keep my rating for when i have heard all three, but i agree it was a good start! \:D/
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

I thought it was OK because I ain't to much of a Meltsner fan.... But I'm a HUGE Jason fan and I was swept of my feet by his natural, enchanting, smooth, angelic voice! *staring off in space, drooling* :drool:
Anyway Im only listening because of Jason and because I have nothing else to do on saturday morning beacuse my mom siad if we lay around watching TV, she'll give us a mornings load of chores!!!!
I'll just leave you with a quote from The Top Floor...

"Jason we'er you there the whole time??" "Ahh, Yah."(Isn't Jason the best ever or what?)

RR
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah, I liked. Jason was awesome, he was in top form. Personally Eugene's dad annoys me.. >_> 4/5 stars I wait can't wait to see how this ends.
...I hate marquees.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

All in all, Nathan got two thumbs up for the show.

But something I am truly happy for is a smart, intellectual, faith-based discussion between two characters that can teach adults as well as children. A very well written scene.

Bennett
Last edited by Bennett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I find Leonard and Eugene's conversations highly interesting, partially because of my amateur interests in apologetics. The objections seem common ones.
Extremely good episode, 5/5. I'll refrain from any potential in-depth comments until part 3 (... Uh, if I'm unlazy enough to do so at all...)

... tashatashatasha?!? >_> Can't blame me for hoping...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Yes, the scene between Eugene and Leonard in the plane was very well done; it was my favorite scene of the episode.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Eugene/Leonard = w00t! (Leonard's accent reminds me of Arthur Dent's. Who are the actors for the respective characters?)

I'm glad the episode didn't go quite as fast as 'An Undeniable Truth' or 'Mission Possible', however the dig being over the 'hill' from the airspace was a bit odd. I would have rathered they had taken a vehicle into the Wulaf tribe area. And where is the airspace again, anyhow? I thought there wasn't really an airport around? o_O;

I loved the Eugene/Leonard interaction. The plane scene was my favourite (because it was so Eugene/Leonardesque.) ... though Aziz being tied to a tree made me suspect it WAS A TRAP! ...

I could go on, but I listened to the episode only once, so 5/5 goes on.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

sonuna wrote:... tashatashatasha?!? >_> Can't blame me for hoping...

Tasha is a curse word in my book! :shame:
Jason is mine! :inlove:

RR
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

I loved the episode but i am not that intrigued by the whole Eugene/Leonard/Dalton story arc it just doesn't bring me to the edge of my seat waiting to hear what happens next

4/5
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

I really liked it! Sadly, I heard the beginning and thought I missed something...whoops...so then I turned it off to go listen to part 1 online which I thought I had missed (obviously there was some stuff in those old eps that I forgot) and then missed about 5 minutes of the beginning. But, I can review the part I did hear. For some reason, this just doesn't seem quite as thrilling to me as, say, Blackaard and even Novacom...I mean, I know it's a "small" story arc compared to those, but still. I love Eugene and Lenard interactions "I'm sorry I failed you, Eugene, I thought I'd taught you better!" I also liked how they kept a spiritual aspect to things not just totally making it all mystery, no God...because they have done that before. I'm so glad Jason is back, too! \:D/ I love how he totally had his agent form again. And I agree with you Sonona, I thought it would be a good time to bring Tasha back to :anxious: I loved the lady talking to Whit "and this slip of paper probably doesn't have his address on it! No, it wouldn't, it's a grocery list!." lol. it just goes to show that you always have connections with the agency if you were an agent :D Anyway, in my mind it gets just a bit less than a 5 so I'll go ahead and rate it 5.

When did Walker Edmiston die? That makes me really sad. Not like we've heard from Tom in a long time, but still, I was hoping for a Tom come back this season.

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I thought this was a really good episode. I was in suspense almost the whole time. I was thinking that Leonard, Eugene, and Jason would at least face some enemies in Africa, so I was a bit disappointed when that didn't happen. But nonetheless, I did enjoy their quest to find evidence against Dalton, which lead to them searching for the videotape which lead them back out of Africa. ;) It was great to hear Jason again! I really enjoyed the interactions between Eugene and Leonard; I love how Eugene has been continually trying to show his father why being a Christian means so much to him. Diane and Whit’s dialogue was amusing, with Diane not telling Whit all about Dalton’s whereabouts. The preview left me eagerly anticipating part two!
snowflake wrote:
When did Walker Edmiston die? That makes me really sad. Not like we've heard from Tom in a long time, but still, I was hoping for a Tom come back this season.
According to the Soda Fountain, it was February 15. Remember, since the rest of the episodes for this season have already been recorded, it's possible we might hear from Tom.
amberluvspiano
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by amberluvspiano »

It was good, but not one of my fav's. I might like it more though, when I hear the rest:) Jason was great though and was certainly at his best!
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Ummm...was I the only one extremely disappointed in this episode? :-s It feels to me like they're rushing this along. I was expecting a good portion of the three-parter to take place in Africa. Instead, they were in and out of Africa in 10 minutes. The went off and everyone was conveniently okay (even Eugene, who was right there tampering with it), yet the entire village was destroyed. Then there's the whole matter of Jason. I'm glad he's back and all, but I find it kind of ridiculous that he was able to make a few phone calls and is now an agent again. I don't care who you are, it can't be that easy to do.

Also, I'm getting pretty tired of these friends of Whit's. Back in the "Search for Whit" days, we had lots of interesting, secretive little hints that the main characters would have to figure out (such as Tasha's "bugs at Trickle Lake" bit or Whit's "How I do is nothing great"). Now all we ever get are these friends in high places who bluntly give out all the information we could need. Diane could get in a lot of trouble for giving out all that "confidential" information. I admit, the scene is a bit humorous, but inside I was groaning while listening to it.

Finally, why can't we just hear from Dalton? Leonard Meltsner's been raving for three episodes now about how frightening and powerful Dalton Kern is, but I'm having a very hard time being worried about some guy we've barely heard from. During the Novacom saga, all references to the Chairman were very discreet so that we never knew anything about him. As a result, he was a very mysterious character and that made him a great villain, even though he only briefly appeared in the last episode. But they're telling us everything about Dalton, and reminding us of what he's done over and over again, taking away all the intrigue about this guy before we even get to officially meet him! To me his character seems really lame and predictable. I know we'll be hearing from Dalton sometime in the next two weeks, and I'm quite glad we're finally getting around to it. After this 3-parter ends, however, I hope Dalton never comes back. I'm getting tired of hearing about him.

Now, I haven't heard part two yet, but from what I read there is an interesting plot twist. I'm hoping the next two episodes get better than the first, but my overall impression of the first episode was a pretty poor one (and I'm usually the one that loves these kinds of episodes).
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Applesauce wrote:Ummm...was I the only one extremely disappointed in this episode? :-s It feels to me like they're rushing this along. I was expecting a good portion of the three-parter to take place in Africa. Instead, they were in and out of Africa in 10 minutes. The went off and everyone was conveniently okay (even Eugene, who was right there tampering with it), yet the entire village was destroyed. Then there's the whole matter of Jason. I'm glad he's back and all, but I find it kind of ridiculous that he was able to make a few phone calls and is now an agent again. I don't care who you are, it can't be that easy to do.

Also, I'm getting pretty tired of these friends of Whit's. Back in the "Search for Whit" days, we had lots of interesting, secretive little hints that the main characters would have to figure out (such as Tasha's "bugs at Trickle Lake" bit or Whit's "How I do is nothing great"). Now all we ever get are these friends in high places who bluntly give out all the information we could need. Diane could get in a lot of trouble for giving out all that "confidential" information. I admit, the scene is a bit humorous, but inside I was groaning while listening to it.

Finally, why can't we just hear from Dalton? Leonard Meltsner's been raving for three episodes now about how frightening and powerful Dalton Kern is, but I'm having a very hard time being worried about some guy we've barely heard from. During the Novacom saga, all references to the Chairman were very discreet so that we never knew anything about him. As a result, he was a very mysterious character and that made him a great villain, even though he only briefly appeared in the last episode. But they're telling us everything about Dalton, and reminding us of what he's done over and over again, taking away all the intrigue about this guy before we even get to officially meet him! To me his character seems really lame and predictable. I know we'll be hearing from Dalton sometime in the next two weeks, and I'm quite glad we're finally getting around to it. After this 3-parter ends, however, I hope Dalton never comes back. I'm getting tired of hearing about him.

Now, I haven't heard part two yet, but from what I read there is an interesting plot twist. I'm hoping the next two episodes get better than the first, but my overall impression of the first episode was a pretty poor one (and I'm usually the one that loves these kinds of episodes).
You bring up valid points. Though, I disagree with the 2nd paragraph completely. But the rest of it makes sense. I think there definitely was a LOT said about Dalton...to much...but we never actually heard him. However, I just find it difficult to image how they couldv'e set up this evil character differently.
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Conniepaw wrote:It's really hard to judge the first part of a three parter as it stands alone so I am going to keep my rating for when i have heard all three, but i agree it was a good start! \:D/
i agree that hard to just this ep i give it three stars

Check out my newspaper To0 Star