571: "For Better or for Worse II"  

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this show?

5 Stars! Unbelievable!
23%
4 Stars! Fabulous!
47%
3 Stars! Wonderful!
20%
2 Stars! Below average!
10%
1 Star! Terrible!
No votes
0 Stars! Hideous!
No votes

Total votes: 30

Chandler

571: "For Better or for Worse II"  

Post by Chandler »

Vote in the poll and post your reviews starting Saturday. :)
chexfan2000
Gold Member

Post by chexfan2000 »

Pretty darn good. Like usual, there were lots of mishaps and mayhem, to the point of being a bit unbelievable, but it was Odyssey. Welcome back, Odyssey, where have you been for the past few years?
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this Episode. I'm trying not to be overly critical, but this just wasn't a good episode Ihmo. Why does everything always go wrong? Can't they have an episode where everything just goes fine? Does everyone else like it when everything goes wrong? Anyway, thre was one part that I did sorta like. The part where Eugene leaves to go up to the KYDS radio tower and when he comes back I sorta liked. I also would have liked to hear the song Eugene made up. Oh well. Sorry to sound so pessimistic but that's how I feel about this Episode. I gae it two stars. #-o
...I hate marquees.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I think it was a total waste. No one actually got married. Eugene was great as always. I thought that the minister setting up the sound system during a thunderstorm sent a very dangerous message. It's not surprising that he landed in the emergency room. Mrs. Shanks was much improved over last week. I thought the way she handled Agnes was very nice, even though it detracted from Eugene and Katrina. It was supposed to be their wedding after all. 2/5.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat May 21, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Very slapstick. Many laughs throughout the show.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Very good ep. It was funny and everything worked out. The new Katrina is growing on me but I still want Pamela back.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

It was an okay show, but it's not one I'll listen to ten times in a row. It was a little predictable, and I thought it dragged in some places. And WHY was Whit in KYDS radio just as Eugene sent the message? I did like having Agnus back, even though it was, as I said, predictable of what was going to happen.

Connie and Ms. Shanks getting along at the end was good though, that kind of redeemed the show for me. But Katrina...I can't tell if she wants to go along with her mom or not.

Bernard was funny, with his struggles over candles catchign things on fire...oh dear! The whole swan bit was a little over-used I thought.

But all in all, this had a kind of old odyssey feel to it. So, I'll give this a 2/5 rating.
Last edited by Linne on Sat May 21, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Note to myself; Remind me to listen to any two-parters in one sitting.

I decided after listening to the 2nd parter to listen to both parts one after the other. I believe most of us should do this, too. Because, the 2nd parter really does cover and relate to the first part, as much as it contraried to my first belief.

I'd like to say this here and now that I will be glad to have the Wedding Episode part of my Adventure in Odyssey collection.

I mean, it wasn't completely, wonderful and utterly superb...however, any two parter that features an entire cast of old characters is okay by me.

You had fun and excitement...a bit of humour here and there. And sure, I'm was like, ''Hello...Agnes, now, um, goodbye.''

To be honest, some of it was kindv'e fast passed. The thing between Agnes and Tom couldv'e been developped so much more. It felt as a a last minute writer's idea. ''Oh, yeah, how about if I just stick Agnes in there to waste a bit of time.'' Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the fact that she was staryeyed about the wedding, and that it brought her back to the past...but, I don't know...I'm going to have to give my opinion after it passes the test of time. (I love that expression, btw)

Bart continued his typical, ''I'm in this episode because Walker Edminston has the miracoulous ability to make two voices'' That isn't to say that I wished that he wouldn't have been in this episode; I only mean to say that he really couldv'e been used in a different way.

A few complaints; Eugene and Katrina trapped in the mountains was cleared up way to fast. I felt it was absurb that Whit just 'happened' to be in the Kyds Radio Room. They couldv'e drawn-out that scene for much longer, expecially when the rains came. I was hoping for this miserable scene. Also, I wouldv'e liked that we heard Whit trying to decode the Morse Code signal.

One thing that this episode didn't continue from last week was when Bernard said to Tom, ''Were going to have to do things our way.''

I was expecting Bernard and Tom have some of their own Janitor Designs and great Hick-style things happening after that.

The fire was a good addition. I enjoyed the fact that Bernard did it too.

I don't have much to say about this episode. Most of my comments were mentioned in the first parter. This episode was GOOD Period. Theirs no point analysing it. And so I will stop there.

Good job Adventure's In Odyssey. And Congratulations on a memorable Season.

Welcome Home, Eugene.

Broadcast--signing off...
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

By the way, even though it's been up since late last night, I figured I'd mention my review is available at The Soda Fountain.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I enjoyed this episode! It was fun, and it was cool when Millie Shanks finally realized the way that she was pushing Katrina through what Agnes. I thought that part was nice, and it was funny that Bernard was the "pastor" for their "wedding." It was nice to have Connie and Millie get along at the end. I was so reasured to hear that Millie picked out the perfect butter pats pattern. :roll:

I wonder if Kathy Buchanan included a few disasters and experiences from her own wedding, or if it was more like the stuff of nightmares that only come true for Eugene and Katrina? They do seem to have a lot of problems, but now that they've been married twice, perhaps their really bad days are at an end. I can't wait until the fall seson! \:D/

During the first ep, I noticed that it wasn't Pamela Hayden as Katrina mainly during the part where Bart was introduced, because I thought that it was probably written with Pamela Hayden in mind (as Doris Rathbone). During this second half, I didn't even think about it being a different actress. I've accepted this much sooner than I thought that I would, so that is definitely a credit to Audrey Wasaluski!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I thought it was cute.........perhaps a bit too predictable, but cute. I expected Millie to really explode at Agnes for wearing her dress and thinking it was her wedding. It was nice the way she played along and even let Agnes and Tom get married (again) instead of trying to make Agnes snap back into reality.

Also a bit predictable that Whit would just happen to be in KYDS radio when Eugene sent his transmition..........but I guess some things have to be predictable..........I recall the first time I listened to "The Boy Who Cried Destructo" when Eugene was comming up with a way to rescue Harlow and Whit..........for only listening for a few short weeks it was really predicable that he'd use the sleeping potion...........but still cool, so predictable isn't always bad.

In fact sometimes writers will do shows that are so predicatble it can be almost boring for a while simply so they can do a show where it appears to be predicatble then things go completely different than the listeners expect........keeps you guessing that way.

Anyway I gave it 5/5.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Shadowpaw wrote:By the way, even though it's been up since late last night, I figured I'd mention my review is available at The Soda Fountain.
I can't get the link on your site to work.

EDIT: Never mind. I was trying to open it in a new tab, which wasn't working too well with the javascript. A direct click works.

Let me just start by saying that the episode was good. Now for some detail. The Eugene and Katrina scenes were classic. They put me right back in the old days. They were well written, and fit the characters perfectly.

I was sitting there listening to the ep and thinking it was pretty good even if the disasters seemed a bit prolonged and like the "Worst Day Ever." Then Eugene mentioned that the KYDS radio tower was on top of Forrest Mountain. My heart stopped. I could be wrong, but I thought the tower was in Gower's field. From then on, I was in fear. That is, until, Eugene came back down the mountain, and they arrived at the church building. From then on, the episode embodied everything I love about Odyssey. The transformation of Millie was wonderful, the vows, the song, everything was great.

Overall, the episode, for the most part, was not what I wanted for something that we have been waiting for for at least eight years. Don't get me wrong, it was a good episode, and I enjoyed it. There was just something about the string of mishaps that got on my nerves after a while. I am now listening to it for the second time, and I'm liking the "bad" parts better this time around. I'll warm up to it with a few more repetitions. After all, we finally get the marriage of Eugene and Katrina! That alone is worth ignoring any problems I may have with the episode. Four stars.
Nick Riley
insert dash here

Post by Nick Riley »

I liked the way Eugene handled himself in it with the Romantic Get away
-Usally Catrina has it way and dosen't give in to Eugene*
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

I just listened to both parts at once, as I didn't want to wait a week in between.

I loved it. It was everything I've always hoped the Eugene-and-Katrina wedding episode would be. (And I have anticipated this episode for a looong time.)

Lots of funny lines, but for some reason something that struck me as particularly amusing (and appropriate for the character) was the way Millie kept calling Connie "Constance".

I grew to like Katrina's new actress better here. Hearing her voice wasn't as distracting as it was earlier.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I liked it a lot. It was pretty funny. Everyone ended up happy at the end. I really liked the twist with Anges Riley. I wasn't expecting that at all! It was nice to have her change Mrs. Shanks' mind about the wedding.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Bmuntz wrote:Very good ep. It was funny and everything worked out. The new Katrina is growing on me but I still want Pamela back.
Same here. :boohoo:
Nick Riley
insert dash here

Post by Nick Riley »

Same goes for me
Paul B
OK

Post by Paul B »

good episode.I agree.the new katrina is good.
Master Kenobi
I've been here a bit

Post by Master Kenobi »

My review is obviously rather late, and for that I apologize, but I needed to think on my opinions for quite a long time. Instead of posting two reviews (one for part one and the other for part two), I decided to wait for part two to be released and then write one review.
"For Better or for Worse" was a very funny episode. While I don't think it was quite as good as other episodes about weddings, it still was a high-quality show. The music was very appropriate, especially the variations to the wedding march, which reflected the mood of the scene. The story was also good; the first part ended in a troublesome scene, and the second part's ended with satisfaction. On top of all this was the humor. I loved the scenes with the swan eating the cake and Millie riding around on a lawnmower. The episode wouldn't have been the same without that.
In conclusion, I'd say that "For Better or For Worse" was a good way to end a good season. Maybe it wasn't the best episode I've ever heard, but it was still excellent. I am proud to rate this show with a four out of five star rating! :)
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I now have my review of "For Better or For Worse" availabe at Eugene Forever. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to have it ready, but better late than never ;).